follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Cobiflex

Drives: 2013 Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Misfires, rough idle, stalling

when I turn my car on, it usually crank then immediately stall, sometimes it will run but the engine runs rough, and the rpm hops up and Down and eventually stall out. I thought it was the Direct injectors switched out the seals no leaks and no leaks from the fuel injectors, I’m thinkin maybe spark plugs or dirty throttle body, anyone have any thoughts....I have a 2013 Scion FR-S
Cobiflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobiflex View Post
when I turn my car on, it usually crank then immediately stall, sometimes it will run but the engine runs rough, and the rpm hops up and Down and eventually stall out. I thought it was the Direct injectors switched out the seals no leaks and no leaks from the fuel injectors, I’m thinkin maybe spark plugs or dirty throttle body, anyone have any thoughts....I have a 2013 Scion FR-S
Welcome to the group, Cobiflex -

Do you have any power mods? If so, what?

Is your car giving you any codes? If so, what do they say?

How many miles in your car?

Yep, could be the throttle body is dirty, but, I doubt that is what is causing all that roughness.

What is the last maintenance thing you did to the car before it started acting up?

Have you filled it with gas from a different tank lately - maybe bad gas?

Come on back with some more information, maybe someone on here that knows what they are talking about can help you -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
To what humfrz said. If you have any more information, please share. However, if there are no check engine codes, it sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses and make sure none are disconnected or damaged.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Cobiflex

No power mods

Haven’t been able to check the codes because of my work schedule

Just 59000 miles

I just clean the throttle body, it turns on, there’s a hissing sound coming out but idk where from, sounds like from the front
Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Cobiflex

Only aftermarket part I have is the exhaust, check engine light is on and the traction control light, the Rpms jump up and down then eventually stalls
Old 08-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If you don't have an OBDII reader, take it by AutoZone and have them read the codes for you. They'll do it for free. Them come back here and post them and we'll go from there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
humfrz (08-09-2019), Tcoat (08-08-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #7
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
No power mods

Haven’t been able to check the codes because of my work schedule

Just 59000 miles

I just clean the throttle body, it turns on, there’s a hissing sound coming out but idk where from, sounds like from the front

Did you remove the throttle body to clean it? The hissing sound makes me think vacuum leak. Perhaps the throttle body gasket was damaged or misaligned when you pulled the part?

If the sound is really near the front, check the intake around and after the MAF - perhaps there is a huge unmetered air leak. Also, check that you reattached the L-shaped hose fitting to the intake runner just ahead of the throttle body. That hose is part of the EGR system and leaks there can be a source of unmetered air as well.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #8
Cobiflex

I’m about to take it to the shop and get the codes read, the hissing sound goes away and come back, it’s runs fine in the high rpm, in the low rpm real rough idle and eventually stalls, also the throttle has some hesitation, when I step on the gas
Old 08-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I’m about to take it to the shop and get the codes read, the hissing sound goes away and come back, it’s runs fine in the high rpm, in the low rpm real rough idle and eventually stalls, also the throttle has some hesitation, when I step on the gas
While you are out, I suggest you purchase an inexpensive OBDII reader and keep it in the trunk. You will find that it will come in handy.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:32 AM   #10
Cobiflex

Just got back from the shop, it’s leaking air from the manifold, I’m about to order a new gasket should be good after that, I had to order a reader off of amazon, I’m in Germany and unless you want something for a bmw you have to order it online
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobiflex For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-11-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
djenousis

Drives: 2015
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just got back from the shop, it’s leaking air from the manifold, I’m about to order a new gasket should be good after that, I had to order a reader off of amazon, I’m in Germany and unless you want something for a bmw you have to order it online
Any updates? Did getting a new gasket fix the problem?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #12
Skyfighter

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
I too am having a similar issue. I recently got the car and had the engine out of the car to do some maintenance including clutch and uel headers. It is a 2015 Subaru Brz 6 spd and now when I start the car it has a rough idle. The rpms will fluctuate up and down and once it drops below 500 rpms, it stalls. When you take for a drive it sounds like at has couple misfires and I am experiencing a bit of power loss. What I mean is that it feels a little sluggish. The car only stalls when in neutral or when I come to a complete stop. I pulled some codes from my diagnostic computer such as p0016 p0018 and p0300. Any ideas as to what could cause this would appreciated. Thank You.
Skyfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #13
Skyfighter

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Subaru Brz clutch flex plate (Reluctor Wheel) Misfires, Rough idle and stalling

So about a month ago I did a clutch change. Along with the change I installed a UEL Header and a Borla Catback. Since then my car has not run correctly. I didn't drive it much since i wanted to identify the problem. While it was running the rpms would fluctuate and the car would eventually stall. Me and my dad have been diagnosing it and after several possible causes, we remembered the flex plate behind the flywheel and considered that it might not have been lined up correctly. So we decided to go ahead and pull the clutch back out and see if that was the problem.

Here is link to the picture from the flex plate and im trying to figure out whats going on here. So there is a hole which i thought was for the pin to line up but there is also a indent in the plate. It lines up either way whether you line it up on the hole or the indent. Because when we pulled it out the second time we had it lined up on the hole. I was just hoping someone could confirm whether the indent is possibly from another owner installing the flex plate incorrectly or if its supposed to be where you line it up. Thank You!!

Skyfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:13 AM   #14
tadeon

Drives: Toyota GT86
Had a similar issue on my Toyota GT86, 2013 EU. I was getting P0017 and P0019 when checking for error codes. Usually CEL showed up on a faster drive up a mountan pass but wasn't reproducable on each drive. Took it to a dealer where they suggested a ECU rom update (had calid 700G installed is an older version). For some reason the dealer wasn't able perform software update–long story short–I bought a Tactrix adapter and update ECU to A01G myself without any issues. No CEL, no rough idle since updating (~6 months).
tadeon is offline   Reply With Quote