follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #43
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Correct : springs, protective pieces, tires. = they also don't cost an arm and a leg ( as opposed to going FI)

What about mods you can hear ? Exhaust/header .... If you could flip a switch, go from aftermarket back to stock sound that would be great.

I'm perpetually shopping a header for this car...it'll happen at one point, but I'm not there yet.

Aftermarket exhaust, on the other hand, will never go on my car. I guess I'm old enough (and been in enough trouble as a youngster) to appreciate the value in NOT attracting attention...
Feistyfrog (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I'm perpetually shopping a header for this car...it'll happen at one point, but I'm not there yet.

Aftermarket exhaust, on the other hand, will never go on my car. I guess I'm old enough (and been in enough trouble as a youngster) to appreciate the value in NOT attracting attention...
There are loads of aftermarket exhausts that sound better than stock but still will not get you in trouble.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #45
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nothing wrong with Function<Form either though. There is no right or wrong way to mod as long as what you do you do well. Different goals are different.

IMO, function must at least equal form. Half the beauty of a mod to me is that an it does it's thing even better than what it's replacing. Of course, if you can choose something that looks better as well, then that's gravy.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #46
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
There are loads of aftermarket exhausts that sound better than stock but still will not get you in trouble.

Sound and volume are two different things. While they might sound more pleasing, none are as quiet as stock, and I simply don't want to go any louder, especially considering there's essentially zero gain in power to go with the increased noise. The closest to stock volume I've heard was the Greddy SP Elite (or was it Supreme..?), and I don't even think it's available any more...

Last edited by venturaII; 07-23-2019 at 01:10 PM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #47
Tcoat

Quote:
IMO, function must at least equal form. Half the beauty of a mod to me is that an it does it's thing even better than what it's replacing. Of course, if you can choose something that looks better as well, then that's gravy.
But if it looks or sounds better to the owner then that is it's function even if it has zero impact on how it drives or performs. My point being that everything does not have to impact performance and to say it is useless because it doesn't is just a biased viewpoint. Modding for appearance only is every it as acceptable as modding for performance if that is your goal. The only time that really doesn't apply is if you are attempting to fool others that you have modded for performance when you really haven't.
Dadhawk (07-23-2019), Dirty Harry (07-23-2019), new2subaru (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #48
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
But if it looks or sounds better to the owner then that is it's function even if it has zero impact on how it drives or performs. My point being that everything does not have to impact performance and to say it is useless because it doesn't is just a biased viewpoint. Modding for appearance only is every it as acceptable as modding for performance if that is your goal. The only time that really doesn't apply is if you are attempting to fool others that you have modded for performance when you really haven't.
Quote:
IMO, function must at least equal form.

I think you missed this part...lol
Old 07-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Sound and volume are two different things. While they might sound more pleasing, none are as quiet as stock, and I simply don't want to go any louder, especially considering there's essentially zero gain in power to go with the increased noise. The closest to stock volume I've heard was the Greddy Supreme SP, and I don't even think it's available any more...
There are several choices quieter than stock that still have a nicer tone (subjective). I am pretty sure that @Ultramaroon 's actually cancels out ambient noise within several feet creating a negative decimal vortex behind him everywhere he goes. A very quiet car that still has a nice tone.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
I think you missed this part...lol
No I got it. Adding "IMO" isn't a "don't debate my answer" card.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #51
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
There are several choices quieter than stock that still have a nicer tone (subjective). I am pretty sure that @Ultramaroon 's actually cancels out ambient noise within several feet creating a negative decimal vortex behind him everywhere he goes. A very quiet car that still has a nice tone.

QUIETER than stock?? I don't recall reading about any of those, but if you have a few names handy, I'd love to look into them..
Old 07-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #52
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
No I got it. Adding "IMO" isn't a "don't debate my answer" card.
IMO means it applies to me. And considering this is an opinion based thread, are you really going to try to convince me my own personal preferences are wrong for me...? Not that it has anything to do with OP's original question, but if you know of mufflers that operate at lower db levels than OEM, I'd consider them, but I have zero interest in increasing volume.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #53
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks. The Ace LG90 is an elegant system for sure. Unfortunately it also cancels out my backup lights and I've been pretty lazy about that. I have two separate solutions on my workbench waiting for me to build.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #54
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Like most on this thread I think OEM+ that is easily reversible is the way to go. I‘ve put on STI lowering springs, TSW Interlagos 18x8 forged alloy wheels, Michelin Pilot Super sport tyres and an STI axle back exhaust.

Lowering springs or coil overs with a set of light wheels really make a difference and are the best mod to start with IMO. I noticed the car was more responsive after fitting these and it cornered a lot better than stock. It looks better too as the wheel gap is reduced and the wheels and tyres fill out the wheel arches more.

Then if you go down the engine mod root you have a good base to start with.

I got the axle back exhaust as it was on sale, sounds better than stock and looks a bit more aggressive. It is supposed to lower back pressure by 13% according to STI, I didn’t notice anything different performance wise to stock though, apart from the sound. The light weight wheels made more of a difference.

Last but not least if you do modify it, wait and get good quality parts than compromise and get cheap parts, it’ll be worth the wait.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 07-23-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #55
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Thanks. The Ace LG90 is an elegant system for sure. Unfortunately it also cancels out my backup lights and I've been pretty lazy about that. I have two separate solutions on my workbench waiting for me to build.
Did you do the header with the cat back?

I’m still waiting for the dual exhaust lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #56
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Did you do the header with the cat back?

I’m still waiting for the dual exhaust lol
No header yet. I should get one to prepare for when I feel confident enough in my understanding of how this engine is tuned. Once I get there, I'll start ruining it.

That dual exhaust is never going to happen. The magic of the noise cancellation depends on that single centered exit. The same basic principle applies with the LG100.