follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
DOMOAE92

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would you guys trade Evo IX MR for BRZ?

Quick question: Would you guys trade your Evo IX MR bone stock with 30k miles for a FRS/BRZ?

Quick answers please.
DOMOAE92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
cleethree

Drives: 2006 Lexus IS350
Nope.
cleethree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No!
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
LeavingNormal
FRS2DTH

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Nope, but I also would trade my car for one of those.
LeavingNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Unless you're killing yourself at the pump, no.

Unless you want to change AutoX classes, no.

Unless you can't afford your Evo payments and can get a lower payment on the BRZ, no.

I wouldn't trade my STI for one.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
DOMOAE92

Thanks for the insight guys. I guess it's time to pop the "mod" cherry on the Evo and start unleashing the beast. Going to get her suspensioned up. Not really going for high HP, but a well balanced car.

The reason I ask is, when I test drove both FRS/BRZ, I was amazed at how well the car was balanced. Would just be a nice platform to work with. I think I'll wait till I pay off the Evo, still got 2 years left on payments, and if I traded it in the dealers would kill me in trade in value and lowball me.

Maybe I'll just hold off until the third production year, hopefully the BRZ STI will be out by then.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
pithy_logorrhea

Drives: 2007 STi
I sold my 07 STi for a BRZ....
pithy_logorrhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pithy_logorrhea View Post
I sold my 07 STi for a BRZ....

OP:

Unless a 2DR is a big deal.. but than I would trade my STi or Evo for a 370z.. maybe not even that. 135i //M
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
crash

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what they said, don't do it
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Someone asked a similar question in Nasioc and this was my reply to them.

I went from a sti to a brz. My biggest complaint with the STI (08' stage 2+) was that you never really got more than 2-5 seconds at WOT before you were going way too fast. It honestly felt like I could never use all the power or grip. It was a fun car in the twisties too but you had to push it so hard to get there. For better or for worse, the BRZ does not have this problem. It does not feel like I'm going slow everywhere like my STI did. Does that make sense?
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMOAE92 View Post
Thanks for the insight guys. I guess it's time to pop the "mod" cherry on the Evo and start unleashing the beast. Going to get her suspensioned up. Not really going for high HP, but a well balanced car.

The reason I ask is, when I test drove both FRS/BRZ, I was amazed at how well the car was balanced. Would just be a nice platform to work with. I think I'll wait till I pay off the Evo, still got 2 years left on payments, and if I traded it in the dealers would kill me in trade in value and lowball me.

Maybe I'll just hold off until the third production year, hopefully the BRZ STI will be out by then.
If you haven't modded the Evo yet, and you're thinking of selling.trading it in a few years, don't mod it. Cars like the STI and Evo get a MUCH higher price when fully stock. Mods, even if they improve the car, reduce the resale value of the vehicle.

Stick with the Evo, have fun with it and keep mods simple to undo/cosmetic (tint, rims/tires, etc) and watch for the inevitable faster BRZ/FR-S. TRD has already announced a supercharger. Hopefully there will be a TRD FR-S. And double-hopefully Subaru buys the supercharger from Toyota and makes a STI BRZ with it. Now THOSE would be cars to trade the Evo for if you didn't need the 4 doors.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
DOMOAE92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
If you haven't modded the Evo yet, and you're thinking of selling.trading it in a few years, don't mod it. Cars like the STI and Evo get a MUCH higher price when fully stock. Mods, even if they improve the car, reduce the resale value of the vehicle.

Stick with the Evo, have fun with it and keep mods simple to undo/cosmetic (tint, rims/tires, etc) and watch for the inevitable faster BRZ/FR-S. TRD has already announced a supercharger. Hopefully there will be a TRD FR-S. And double-hopefully Subaru buys the supercharger from Toyota and makes a STI BRZ with it. Now THOSE would be cars to trade the Evo for if you didn't need the 4 doors.
Thanks for the advice Draco-REX. Yeah, I'll keep the mods simple, nothing crazy. Was just thinking of doing a rear sway bar and poly bushings in the rear to tighten up the turn in a little bit. You're right, the car to trade in the Evo for is the TRD FRS or the STI BRZ. :happy0180:
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post

Or at least keep the stock parts and when it is time to sell, sell off the mod parts and then put the stock parts back on.

I also say stick with the EVO. No sense taking a bath on a car that is a blast to drive.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
DOMOAE92

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Someone asked a similar question in Nasioc and this was my reply to them.

I went from a sti to a brz. My biggest complaint with the STI (08' stage 2+) was that you never really got more than 2-5 seconds at WOT before you were going way too fast. It honestly felt like I could never use all the power or grip. It was a fun car in the twisties too but you had to push it so hard to get there. For better or for worse, the BRZ does not have this problem. It does not feel like I'm going slow everywhere like my STI did. Does that make sense?
Yeah it makes sense. You have a point in that the EVO/STI starts at such High HP/High Grip platform. And that in order to get the most "fun" out of it, you have to drive it like you stole everywhere, because of the FI (Forced Induction).

Yet, compared to a balanced car like the BRZ/FRS, you feel or actually wear the car when you drive it. You don't necessarily have to be driving fast, just the enjoyment of how well balanced the car is brings the fun back in driving. Basically, the limits in terms of driving is easier to achieve when you're in the BRZ/FRS, and brings a sense of happiness. It's basically driving a big ass go-kart.

So if you enjoy driving, the BRZ/FRS is the car for you. It's simple and pure to a perfect balance. I think the challenge will be "not" to over tune the engine of these cars, and still keeping the balance undistrubed.