follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
benoh

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opti-coat and Clear Bra

Hey all.

I see a lot of people mentioning opti-coating their 86's. I'm personally considering either opti-coating or installing a clear bra around the whole car.
I don't want to do both because of the cost factor.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on the pros and cons of both these protection techniques? I know that the clear bra will offer more protection and i think that you don't have to wax/polish the car if you have the opti-coat.

is there anything else im missing? Because I'm leaning towards the clear bra as it offers more protection but many 86 owners seem to be doing an opti-coat.

So which protection would you get? and why>
benoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
bryansbestwax

Drives: black suv
Clear bras and Opticoating are two very different things. Cb help with rock chips and road rash while Opticoating is more or a low maintenance solution for the entire exterior. Its an apples and oranges comparison.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
bryansbestwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
id do both!

wrap the entire front end with clear bra.

then opticoat the rest.
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm looking for clear bra. Any suggestion where to do it? and what is the cost around socal area ?
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
86_ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
I'm looking for clear bra. Any suggestion where to do it? and what is the cost around socal area ?
search the best installer around your area. find someone who does all the exotic cars

a very good install could cost you $2000.

full coverage full bumper, full hood not half. full fenders not half as well.

A pillars, side mirrors and rockers
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
search the best installer around your area. find someone who does all the exotic cars

a very good install could cost you $2000.

full coverage full bumper, full hood not half. full fenders not half as well.

A pillars, side mirrors and rockers
I'm going to get clear bra job for the front bumper just b/c the bugs !

Last edited by TRD_86; 06-29-2012 at 10:19 PM.
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
86_ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
I'm going to get jthe clear bra for the front bumper job just b/c the bugs !
ah ok.. for just the bumper. a good install will cost you $500-600
Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
bryansbestwax

Drives: black suv
I have a bit more info. My recent client just installed 3M clearbra over his Opticoated e-class. No issues at all he said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
bryansbestwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
For Clear bra I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Xpel Ultimate bra, it's self healing and stain resistant. Yes it costs a lot of money (my install was $1500) but it's worth it. I got the full hood, full fenders, mirrors and full front bumper. Search Xpel Ultimate on Youtube, and you'll find a bunch of demo video's. My buddy @2forme got a giant scratch from debris in his hood while riding earlier last week and he watched the bra just completely heal itself with no marks left over...couldn't even tell it had happened. The stuff is awesome, make sure you find a shop that doesn't use pre-cut sheets. The pre-cut sheets don't fit as well, using full sheets (not pre-cut) is more labor intensive but you get a better fit and finish.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
kaisernaut

Drives: 2011 Chevy Silverado RCSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
For Clear bra I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Xpel Ultimate bra, it's self healing and stain resistant. Yes it costs a lot of money (my install was $1500) but it's worth it. I got the full hood, full fenders, mirrors and full front bumper. Search Xpel Ultimate on Youtube, and you'll find a bunch of demo video's. My buddy @2forme got a giant scratch from debris in his hood while riding earlier last week and he watched the bra just completely heal itself with no marks left over...couldn't even tell it had happened. The stuff is awesome, make sure you find a shop that doesn't use pre-cut sheets. The pre-cut sheets don't fit as well, using full sheets (not pre-cut) is more labor intensive but you get a better fit and finish.

Newer pre-cut fit better, still have seams but you can adjust the cut for better fitment(no seam).

http://xpel.com/products/paint_prote...=61&model=3583
kaisernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisernaut View Post
Newer pre-cut fit better, still have seams but you can adjust the cut for better fitment(no seam).

http://xpel.com/products/paint_prote...=61&model=3583
My buddy @2forme got pre-cut sheets put on his BRZ a week after me from a different installer...the fitment is not nearly as nice as mine, none of the edges are folded under, the front bumper is off center and the hole around the emblem is A) off center and B) way bigger than the emblem so the edge is very noticeable and the pre-cut sheet edges aren't as close to the edges of the bodywork as they could be.

I'd challenge you to find a very noticeable seem on my install...I only know where mine are because I watched them install it. All the edges are as close to the edges as possible and you can't see them. You can feel them if you rub your fingers around the edge though and every edge that can be is folded under so you can't feel the edge.

Not trying to be a **** or anything, but from the installs I have seen the pre-cut sheets don't fit as well as custom cut full sheets.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
kaisernaut

Quote:
My buddy @2forme got pre-cut sheets put on his BRZ a week after me from a different installer...the fitment is not nearly as nice as mine, none of the edges are folded under, the front bumper is off center and the hole around the emblem is A) off center and B) way bigger than the emblem so the edge is very noticeable and the pre-cut sheet edges aren't as close to the edges of the bodywork as they could be.

I'd challenge you to find a very noticeable seem on my install...I only know where mine are because I watched them install it. All the edges are as close to the edges as possible and you can't see them. You can feel them if you rub your fingers around the edge though and every edge that can be is folded under so you can't feel the edge.

Not trying to be a **** or anything, but from the installs I have seen the pre-cut sheets don't fit as well as custom cut full sheets.
What I meant was pre cut kit can be adjusted before being cut. That's why the edge on all corner can be extended so it can be all tuck in.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisernaut View Post
What I meant was pre cut kit can be adjusted before being cut. That's why the edge on all corner can be extended so it can be all tuck in.
Well if that's true then the guy didn't do it. Also how do you know how much to extend it? and why aren't they just extended in the first place?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #14
kaisernaut

Quote:
Well if that's true then the guy didn't do it. Also how do you know how much to extend it? and why aren't they just extended in the first place?
3m scrotchgard (most film) can be stretch 20% more from the original state. It really depend on the installer familiarity to specific car to determine how much to extent it.