follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #29
mcsmokey

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So I'm having the issue that a few others have had where the center triangle is really dim when braking. I don't have this issue with the oem tail lights just the valenti tails.
mcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #30
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmokey View Post
So I'm having the issue that a few others have had where the center triangle is really dim when braking. I don't have this issue with the oem tail lights just the valenti tails.
switch to the non-flashing version and it'll be fine.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #31
Raekna

Drives: Hot Lava GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
Sure, set it up like wiring 3. BUT, the red wire that comes from the 4th brake light needs to go to the (+) of your rear fog lights. I don't have a rear fog, so I don't know where that wiring is/which wire it is.
Hello
Sorry for the late response.

I live in France and rear fog light is something mandatory here, for something called "Technical Control" which we must pass every 2 years (and also the reason I'm here). So every car has to come with a rear fog.

Isn't that the same in the US / on the FRS ? I'd be surprised because the rear fog light look the same on every 86 (BRZ, GT86, FRS)

I have it wired like the version 3 ATM. Back when I wired it, I did not have any difference (comparing mine to yours) so I really have no clue which "+" wire I have to connect it to :/
Raekna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #32
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekna View Post
Hello

I live in France and rear fog light is something mandatory here, for something called "Technical Control" which we must pass every 2 years (and also the reason I'm here). So every car has to come with a rear fog.

Isn't that the same in the US / on the FRS ? I'd be surprised because the rear fog light look the same on every 86 (BRZ, GT86, FRS)

I have it wired like the version 3 ATM. Back when I wired it, I did not have any difference (comparing mine to yours) so I really have no clue which "+" wire I have to connect it to :/

the stock rear fog light in the US has no bulb in it, or a hole for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-4th-...ZZRBAX&vxp=mtr
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #33
continuecrushing

Quote:
Hello

US doesn't have rear fog for some reason...and our factory lights don't come with wiring or bulb.

As for you, would the "v" being lit up count as rear fog?

I guess what you need to figure out, is how or when you want it to light up. If I had to guess (could be wrong) but the "rear fog" that you have-you have a separate switch that turns it on, right? But at no point does it ever act as a brake light, right?

Let me know how you want it to function, and I can help direct you to how it should be wired.

We could even get fancy (really not complicated, I swear) and make it function as a fog light AND brake light. The way it would work is this: If the rear fog is "off" and you hit the brakes, it will light up. However, if you have the rear fog on, hitting the brakes won't make any difference since it will already be "on"
Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #34
Raekna

Thank you guys for the answers.

Quote:

As for you, would the "v" being lit up count as rear fog?
I don't think the -V- being lit up would count, because it's not as bright as a fog light is supposed to be. (I'm sure you have some cars coming with those in the US, right ? I hope you understand what I'm talking about )
It's brighter than the brake lights, so bright it would annoy the cars behind you, when you have it turned on while there is no fog.
**actually maybe as bright as the braking light ? see below**

Quote:

I guess what you need to figure out, is how or when you want it to light up. If I had to guess (could be wrong) but the "rear fog" that you have-you have a separate switch that turns it on, right? But at no point does it ever act as a brake light, right?
Yes, we do have a switch to turn on the rear fog light (which is the middle triangle, even on the stock fog/reverse light). It never acts as a brake light, it's something completely different.

Since I installed the Valenti 3rd/4th light, the rear fog light switch doesn't do anything. It doesn't light up the middle triangle, it doesn't blink when I brake (it's not supposed to blink at all since I wired it like the version 3, but this is just for information)

Quote:

Let me know how you want it to function, and I can help direct you to how it should be wired.

We could even get fancy (really not complicated, I swear) and make it function as a fog light AND brake light. The way it would work is this: If the rear fog is "off" and you hit the brakes, it will light up. However, if you have the rear fog on, hitting the brakes won't make any difference since it will already be "on"

I would like it to function the same way as version 3, but with the triangle lighting up very bright (as a fog light) when I turn on rear fog light switch.
I would prefer if it could not blink while braking and acting as a fog light (at the same time).

Thank you a lot once again !

Edit : After thinking a bit, could it be possible that brake light brightness = fog light brightness ? I really need to verify. If that is the case, we could do what you suggested !

Last edited by Raekna; 10-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:53 AM   #35
Raekna

I did my research and i don't think the triangle can be brighter than it is when it acts as a brake light.
@continuecrushing Could you still help me wire it so that the triangle lights up when I use the rear fog light switch ? And no more brake light if possible.

Thank you a lot.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #36
FRStevan

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
@continuecrushing not sure if this thread is still alive but,

I wired up my 4th light for the V to be alone and for the triangle to flash when braking (following the instructions from the video). However what happens is when I turn on my lights the triangle flashes and stays on without hitting the brakes, and the V does not light up at all. I'm not sure if this is a bad soldering job on my end (I did use a crappy older one), or if I fried one of the nodes.

Wondering if you have any input or advice. Thanks.
FRStevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #37
continuecrushing

Quote:
I did my research and i don't think the triangle can be brighter than it is when it acts as a brake light.
@continuecrushing Could you still help me wire it so that the triangle lights up when I use the rear fog light switch ? And no more brake light if possible.

Choose the "no flash" option, wire it like that. But instead of hooking it to the brake light, connect it to the rear fog for power. The light will only come on with the rear fog that way.

Thank you a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStevan View Post
@continuecrushing not sure if this thread is still alive but,

I wired up my 4th light for the V to be alone and for the triangle to flash when braking (following the instructions from the video). However what happens is when I turn on my lights the triangle flashes and stays on without hitting the brakes, and the V does not light up at all. I'm not sure if this is a bad soldering job on my end (I did use a crappy older one), or if I fried one of the nodes.

Wondering if you have any input or advice. Thanks.
I bet the V would light up with the brakes. Try double checking the wiring first, and then switch it. Sounds like it's flip flopped.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #38
Raekna

Thank you ! I'll try when I have the time.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:43 AM   #39
Tallented

Drives: Toyota GT86
Is there a way to have the triangle only on when the fog lights are applied? That what i want.
Tallented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #40
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallented View Post
Is there a way to have the triangle only on when the fog lights are applied? That what i want.

the video posted at the beginning of this thread shows you how to wire the triangle to the brake lights. instead of tapping into the brake power, tap into the fog light power.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I would mod this way: reverse with reverse (OK...), V as parking light, triangle as fog, with no flashing on brake.
If I'm not wrong, I should detach V + cable and brake cable from board and join them together, then connecting the additional wire to parking instead of brake, right?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #42
asnoir

Drives: An old Citroen Xantia TD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A guy found the solution to the Version 2 problem. The issue is that the break line is divided between the 2 taillights and the 3rd break light and doesn't give enough power to the 4th break light (Valenti). Because of that the Valenti break light doesn't flash like Version 2 should. I tested the soldering by connecting the Valenti's to straight to battery and they worked like intended but when connected to break line it wouldn't flash and instead give out a dim light. To fix this I set up a relay and ran the power directly from the battery (I connected to the factory amp wire since it has a 12V always on in one of the wires). And it worked. My only issue is that the relay i have makes a clicking noise everytime i hit the breakes. So now I will need to look into getting a relay that is quite
asnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asnoir For This Useful Post:
gkubed (05-03-2020)

Tags
valenti, valenti mods, valenti wiring