follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #57
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreak View Post
Very impressive review/documentary. Thanks for putting it all together!

I'm in your area, hope to see you around.
Thank you!
Hope so, rarely see any FRS/BRZ out here.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #58
Dezoris

LOGS ADDED:

This shows different approaches in terms of timing and AFRs for the base maps for each tuner:

MOST AGGRESSIVE BASE TUNES: (TIMING)

1. FA20CLUB
2. PERRIN
3. VISCONTI

This map shows slight differences in timing for all three tuners, Perrin and FA20club are almost identical in AFRs up top.

There is a lot more than goes into these tunes that owners cannot see or edit given the ECUtek licensing scheme. While this unfortunately does not help with transparency, it helps protect the tuners work.

Tuning is not just as simple as clicking some boxes but once base maps are built it gets easier.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #59
nelsmar

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
On the above post: are all there of these on the same cars? (yours?) If not it would be best to add in MAF reading, ambient temperature, intake temperature, oil temp, coolant temp, and atmospheric pressure would be nice to see.

In my area I have an average atmospheric temperature of 100+F, which leads me to never, ever see below 100F IAT, and always seeing 200+C oil temps. This would under most tunes fall under an enrichment trim due to temperatures. If i showed you my logs you would see flat AFR maxed out (on the OEM sensor) and never further than ~ 17.5 ignition. This can swing the results a fair bit.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #60
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
On the above post: are all there of these on the same cars? (yours?) If not it would be best to add in MAF reading, ambient temperature, intake temperature, oil temp, coolant temp, and atmospheric pressure would be nice to see.

In my area I have an average atmospheric temperature of 100+F, which leads me to never, ever see below 100F IAT, and always seeing 200+C oil temps. This would under most tunes fall under an enrichment trim due to temperatures. If i showed you my logs you would see flat AFR maxed out (on the OEM sensor) and never further than ~ 17.5 ignition. This can swing the results a fair bit.
200+C

pheoxs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pheoxs For This Useful Post:
Pete (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #61
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post

I looked at about 20 logs over the past few months from varying conditions from poor (hot, 91 octane, no oil cooler/radiator) to best case (low oil, coolant temps, ambient temps humidty etc.)

The chart is an average of all of those, which I feel should be a pretty good snapshot of what to expect. Now granted I am reverse engineering the data, don't take it as gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
200+C

Maybe he is using the engine to also heat his home, sounds very green.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #62
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I looked at about 20 logs over the past few months from varying conditions from poor (hot, 91 octane, no oil cooler/radiator) to best case (low oil, coolant temps, ambient temps humidty etc.)
Did you notice anything that pertains to high oil temperatures? Pulled timing? More fueling?
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #63
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
FA20club timing advance!!!

It is significantly different than the others. For example, 3 degrees of timing advance grants about 20-30 whp on my application. It would be even more difference on a turbo car.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #64
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Did you notice anything that pertains to high oil temperatures? Pulled timing? More fueling?
Short answer is does not appear to make a huge difference. Talking 1 degree variance most of the time and I can't prove its not other factors causing it. (Other than oil/coolant temps)

Also this is paper research...

I need more recent logs though so I need to start trolling and get people to donate.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #65
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Short answer is does not appear to make a huge difference. Talking 1 degree variance most of the time and I can't prove its not other factors causing it. (Other than oil/coolant temps)

I need more recent logs though so I need to start trolling and get people to donate.

The way the ECU is setup on this car is it relies heavily on the Knock sensor feedback (knock correction.) This is why the these cars dyno all over the place. I think its a way they get to pass emission laws around the world but isn't great for long term durability (especially with FI.)

A safer tune will rely less on knock correction and just tune out detonation as much as possible.

The FA20 tune may be giving you more timing because you're using 93 in IL where the same tune on CA gas may give a less advance (since you can only see the end result with data logging.)

I would be interesting in seeing knock logs doing a 0-80 mpg run on the three tunes.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #66
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
my car logged lots of knock correction when it was stock. now that i have the turbo kit and the tune is close to final, i haven't recorded any.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #67
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Too bad I couldn't get Perrin to hook me up with a complimentary tune just for comparison sakes. It would be great to give a good comparison between all 3 back to back and I'm up for running any data logs people want as you've seen.

Also if you need anymore just gimme a shout

@PERRIN
@PERRIN_Chris
@PERRIN_Jeff
@PERRIN_Mladen
pheoxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #68
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
The way the ECU is setup on this car is it relies heavily on the Knock sensor feedback (knock correction.) This is why the these cars dyno all over the place. I think its a way they get to pass emission laws around the world but isn't great for long term durability (especially with FI.)

A safer tune will rely less on knock correction and just tune out detonation as much as possible.

The FA20 tune may be giving you more timing because you're using 93 in IL where the same tune on CA gas may give a less advance (since you can only see the end result with data logging.)

I would be interesting in seeing knock logs doing a 0-80 mpg run on the three tunes.
When I built the chart that was the first thing I looked at, all logs chosen were those with positive knock learn values and no knock.

Viscontis logs always had a zero knock learn, but no knock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
my car logged lots of knock correction when it was stock. now that i have the turbo kit and the tune is close to final, i haven't recorded any.
I am seeing similar results.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #69
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
Too bad I couldn't get Perrin to hook me up with a complimentary tune just for comparison sakes. It would be great to give a good comparison between all 3 back to back and I'm up for running any data logs people want as you've seen.

Also if you need anymore just gimme a shout
Will let you know,

Yeah I am sure not many people have run all three tunes using Vortech yet.

If I was going to switch it would be to FA20. But based on the logs I have looked at the Perrin tune has a very good middle ground for the base map, and the 4th map is aggressive if you want to get crazy.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #70
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
thank you much for all the time you put into sharing this valuable information. Everything was very helpful and honest. I like that. There is definitely risk involved and it was refreshing to see someone share what we all think about but don't always voice.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (07-10-2013)