follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #757
TiminAZ

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmuscle View Post
Hey Tim.. nice to see another Shelby owner here. How do you compare the two (GT350 and the BRZ)? I’ll be picking mine (19 limited w/ performance pack) up in the next two or three weeks and would like to get your thoughts on the car.

Another Shelby guy, good to meet you. Comparing the two is hard, they drive completely different as I'm sure you know. The biggest thing I have noticed is clutch friction point is very high on the pedal for the Shelby, the tS is practically at the floor. Of course that could be the difference between a traditional clutch fork and hydraulic throw out, idk. When I get in the Shelby its just a bigger heavier car and you feel that more switching between the two. As far as attention they both get it, but the age bracket changes of those turning their heads. Younger folks ogle the BRZ while adults tend to remain true to the heritage of the mustang/Shelby. Neither seem to understand a guy who has both at a show, yet I am finding so many people who have Mustangs and Subaru's that it has me thinking its more than coincidence.
TiminAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiminAZ For This Useful Post:
Jdmuscle (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #758
TiminAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebby83 View Post
Thanks for your comment. I'll try and reach out to the (Elliotw) as well. Thankfully I am aware of the power issue - Didn't bother me with my 2013 because the fun and handling factor was there. This time though I am a little hesitant because my current and last few cars were quicker. I am going to try and test drive the tS tonight and see how I feel. Plus I need to see how the wing looks - I haven't seen one up close yet and not sure I'll be a fan of it. Sadly I can't keep my 997 and get a BRZ at the same time. Some might think I'm crazy for thinking about that swap. In 9-10 months I have only put about 2,000 miles on my 997. I know I would drive the BRZ a lot more.

The tS is not any quicker out of the box as you know, but it does feel stiffer and have more niceties. Fortunately, most things that fit on other 86's will go on the tS. There isn't a lot published about this particular version because most owners don't seem to mod them. I did as much research as I could and then gambled on the rest. Info about the springs/dampers, wheel offsets, etc just aren't out there. I ran into an issue when installing the SC, where the fuel rail covers integrate with the aluminum intake manifold. The kit was designed to replace the plastic manifold. So I had to mod the covers to fit back on the engine with SC in place. I would have gone without, but the ECU mounts to one of them so I couldn't just leave it off.

The wing is love it or hate it, just like the WRX. For me, making it faster justified the wing more. However, It is bolted through the trunk lid so you are definitely committed to it. You get used to it though.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #759
Lebby83

Drives: 2019 BRZ, 2016 Touareg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminAZ View Post
The tS is not any quicker out of the box as you know, but it does feel stiffer and have more niceties. Fortunately, most things that fit on other 86's will go on the tS. There isn't a lot published about this particular version because most owners don't seem to mod them. I did as much research as I could and then gambled on the rest. Info about the springs/dampers, wheel offsets, etc just aren't out there. I ran into an issue when installing the SC, where the fuel rail covers integrate with the aluminum intake manifold. The kit was designed to replace the plastic manifold. So I had to mod the covers to fit back on the engine with SC in place. I would have gone without, but the ECU mounts to one of them so I couldn't just leave it off.

The wing is love it or hate it, just like the WRX. For me, making it faster justified the wing more. However, It is bolted through the trunk lid so you are definitely committed to it. You get used to it though.

Got it - thanks. How do you like the car with the supercharger? what brand did you go with? I think if I was going to move forward I would just see if I could get a non tS but of course one with the sports package or whatever they are calling it. The dealer that has the used tS also has one of those new Series Grey editions... it'll be nice to see them together.
Lebby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #760
TiminAZ

Quote:
Got it - thanks. How do you like the car with the supercharger? what brand did you go with? I think if I was going to move forward I would just see if I could get a non tS but of course one with the sports package or whatever they are calling it. The dealer that has the used tS also has one of those new Series Grey editions... it'll be nice to see them together.

So far so good! we are still in the tuning stage. We did E85 as well but I have to change the fuel pump and clutch before we get into that. The power really changes the car. Its fun seeing the surprise on peoples faces when they expect you to be slow. What color is the tS? if you have the last 5 of the vin you can see what production number it is.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #761
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@TiminAZ and @Lebby83 --

I too have a supercharged BRZ tS w/e85 and a ton of supporting mods. I'm also anxiously awaiting to arrival of my coilovers and sitting on a new set of wheels and tires as well. I've got just about a year into ownership of my tS with a bunch of trackcross events under my belt with it so far. If you have any questions re: mods, capability with the model, etc. please feel free to reach out.

Last edited by J1Avs; 05-07-2019 at 01:13 PM.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #762
Jdmuscle

Drives: Supra, Viper, Z06, GT350 and GX460
Quote:
Another Shelby guy, good to meet you. Comparing the two is hard, they drive completely different as I'm sure you know. The biggest thing I have noticed is clutch friction point is very high on the pedal for the Shelby, the tS is practically at the floor. Of course that could be the difference between a traditional clutch fork and hydraulic throw out, idk. When I get in the Shelby its just a bigger heavier car and you feel that more switching between the two. As far as attention they both get it, but the age bracket changes of those turning their heads. Younger folks ogle the BRZ while adults tend to remain true to the heritage of the mustang/Shelby. Neither seem to understand a guy who has both at a show, yet I am finding so many people who have Mustangs and Subaru's that it has me thinking its more than coincidence.
Yeah I noticed the clutch engagement point when I test drove a BRZ. It almost felt like I didn’t know how to drive a manual and all I do is drive a manual. Lol

From a balance, steering perspective.. I felt like the BRZ could use a slightly wider rubber up front to make everything feel better from a short drive I took. I look at it this way.. my Viper is an absolute beast.. heads/cam and she can run 9s all motor, Shelby is a watered down Viper IMO.. similar power bands but less of it in the Shelby. I’m hoping that’s the case with the BRZ where it’s a well balanced car but with less power.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #763
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Heh, drove a gt350 recently and i kept almost stalling it due to that high clutch. was surprised at the lack of low end power/tall gearing, and almost shat my pants at around 7000 rpm. i dont think i even hit the 8K+ redline lol. was also surprised at how good the gearbox felt, very tight and fairly short throws like a Twin
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #764
Lebby83

Garage
Quote:
So far so good! we are still in the tuning stage. We did E85 as well but I have to change the fuel pump and clutch before we get into that. The power really changes the car. Its fun seeing the surprise on peoples faces when they expect you to be slow. What color is the tS? if you have the last 5 of the vin you can see what production number it is.

So I was able to test drive the tS last night (JF1ZCAD11J9600021 for anyone who is interested). Good thing is I forgot how fun these cars are to drive and how well they handle. I forgot how light the clutch is too! It was also amusing that the young sales guy who first drove the car really couldn't drive it. From a stop he would start in 3rd gear and swore he was in first. After about the 5th time of me telling him he was in third, he finally got it... still couldn't really drive it though. Personally I wasn't a fan of the red on the steering wheel and seats nor the wing. The tS isn't for me. They had the Series Grey on the showroom (didn't drive it), color isn't terrible in person, but not for me. I liked the steering wheel better compared to the tS. Overall I realize how much I miss the 2013 I had. If I choose to move forward I think it'll just be a white one with the sport package of course.

Question is do I wait and see what if any changes are for 2020?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #765
Lebby83

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
@TiminAZ and @Lebby83 --

I too have supercharged my BRZ w/e85 a ton of supporting mods. I'm also anxiously awaiting to arrival of my coilovers and sitting on a new set of wheels and tires as well. I've just about a year into ownership of my tS with a bunch of trackcross events under my belt with it so far. If you have any questions re: mods, capability with the model, etc. please feel free to reach out.

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #766
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. I'll keep you in mind.
You got it! I just realized how terrible my grammar was last night. That’s what I get for sleeping and posting
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #767
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
If I choose to move forward I think it'll just be a white one with the sport package of course.

Quote:
They say the new one will come after Tokyo Olympics. This means you'll have to wait till beginning of 2021 and it is not official.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #768
Lebby83

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post

They say the new one will come after Tokyo Olympics. This means you'll have to wait till beginning of 2021 and it is not official.

I don't mean the redesign or second generation - Just if there will be any editions or color changers or anything for the 2020's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lebby83 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (05-07-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #769
TiminAZ

Quote:
So I was able to test drive the tS last night (JF1ZCAD11J9600021 for anyone who is interested). Good thing is I forgot how fun these cars are to drive and how well they handle. I forgot how light the clutch is too! It was also amusing that the young sales guy who first drove the car really couldn't drive it. From a stop he would start in 3rd gear and swore he was in first. After about the 5th time of me telling him he was in third, he finally got it... still couldn't really drive it though. Personally I wasn't a fan of the red on the steering wheel and seats nor the wing. The tS isn't for me. They had the Series Grey on the showroom (didn't drive it), color isn't terrible in person, but not for me. I liked the steering wheel better compared to the tS. Overall I realize how much I miss the 2013 I had. If I choose to move forward I think it'll just be a white one with the sport package of course.

Very interesting!! the car you found was a pre production according to VELOIST's research titled Comprehensive List of VIN and Production Numbers - U.S. in this forum. #8 of 9.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #770
Lebby83

Garage
Quote:
Very interesting!! the car you found was a pre production according to VELOIST's research titled Comprehensive List of VIN and Production Numbers - U.S. in this forum. #8 of 9.

Does that mean it could have been some kind of press car? For 2,000 miles it seemed a little beat up in the inside. It could have been me just nit picking though. Even some pretty good scratches on the bottom of the steering wheel. There is another used one that popped up not to far from me, also just over 2,000 miles. At the end of the day I still think I am going to with a non tS.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5948/overview/