follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Opinions on 2005 Forester XT 2.5L?

Hey guys, I have always noticed a very clean manual Forester XT at my work. I don't know very much about them, except that they are similar to the WRX/STi but a little more sleeper and hard to come by. I left a note on the car asking the owner to contact me if they ever wanted to sell.

Yesterday, the owner texted me letting me know she was going to sell it soon. She is the original owner, the car has 110k on the odometer, and it was regularly serviced.

I am going to look at the car on Saturday, but I wanted to get some opinions on the car before then. Is this platform reliable overall? Are there any big flaws I should be weary of? Are parts easy to come by? Can this car handle bolt-ons? I don't plan on doing a ton to the car as it will be our new family car. Probably just wheels, simple bolt-ons, and a tune.

Any input would be great. She is asking 8000-8500 for the car. It is incredibly clean, and stock. Picture is only semi-related

funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have had two foresters now, the gen before and the gen after you are looking at. They all share parts among forester models as well as impreza/ wrx and sti to an extent.

Basically, besides the BRZ the rest of Subarus share a tremendous amount of parts across models and it is easy to get replacements of almost anything except really oddball stuff. Parts are cheap too for other Subaru models. The BRZ does have some parts interchange, don't get me wrong....but not to the same extent as other Subarus.

The XT foresters are as reliable as other boosted Subaru motors, so keep that in mind. If it is a stock, clean one that has been maintained....with that mileage it is worth more than she is asking. You hardly see clean examples going for below 11K, and the 5spd is definitely more desirable in the enthusiast market.

The rear 1/4 panels, wheel wells, and suspension mounting points are kind of known for rust issues so be wary of things like that....typical older Subaru issues.

As a vehicle in general, the forester is basically just a body lifted impreza with a huge hatch. They're great for convenience and they're basically tanks in inclement weather. If the vehicle checks out, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase and drive it. Great vehicles.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-05-2016), jasonojordan (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
funwheeldrive

Thanks for your input!

Quote:
The XT foresters are as reliable as other boosted Subaru motors, so keep that in mind
Are boosted Subarus generally reliable? Until my FRS I had never really paid attention to Subaru. I'm more of a DSM, Evolution guy.

Quote:
The rear 1/4 panels, wheel wells, and suspension mounting points are kind of known for rust issues so be wary of things like that....typical older Subaru issues.

I will be sure to check this out. I am in California, so I have only heard about rust in stories, but you never know.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Each motor has their issues. 2.0 rod bearings 2.5 pistons and ring lands. There have been cases of bone stock sti less then 50k miles needing a new short block because the ring-lands are cracked. Being it has as many miles on it as it does I would say the motor is prob good to go if kept stock. Start adding power and you should keep in mind you will likely need a rebuilt/engine build at some point.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I too really like that bodystyle.

I don't have much information...but here are videos that will make you want to make an irrational purchase...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QktN2YLpj-Y&t=250s"]500+ HP Subaru Forester - One Take - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxWX4y_870c&t=255s"]Modified Subaru Forester XT W/ Hand Controls - One Take - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtUEBRu6BA"]Modified Subaru Forester XT - One Take - YouTube[/ame]

Anyway, get a car fax on it and if its clean...I'd say do it.

I have a 2013 Trail Edition 4Runnner...if I didn't have it...I would be comparing that body style Forester and a Focus RS...

I think its a great value.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
funwheeldrive

Quote:
I don't have much information...but here are videos that will make you want to make an irrational purchase...
I actually need to downsize and would probably sell my FRS for this as a family car. It's a more rational option for 2 kids compared to my FRS.
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Atropine (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It'll almost certainly need the head gaskets replaced. every 2.5L I've ever seen needed them (or already had them replaced)

The time belt is supposed to be replaced at 100k miles. it's an expensive job (since the motor has to be pulled) if that hasn't been done. If it hasn't been done, go ahead and replace the head gaskets and water pump then too.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
jasonojordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
It'll almost certainly need the head gaskets replaced. every 2.5L I've ever seen needed them (or already had them replaced)

The time belt is supposed to be replaced at 100k miles. it's an expensive job (since the motor has to be pulled) if that hasn't been done. If it hasn't been done, go ahead and replace the head gaskets and water pump then too.
Head gasket issue is on NA 2.5 only.

Timing belt does need to be done at apx 100k but its a job you can do in your garage yourself with no special tools needed and the motor absolutely does not need to be pulled to do a timing belt on these motors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-05-2016), Summerwolf (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post

Apparently the car has had the cylinder head, timing belt, clutch, and radiator replaced in the past. I will see about the water pump.

If they replaced the cylinder head that probably means the headgasket blew at some point I'm guessing. Checking compression should let me know if the replacement was adequate right?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
jasonojordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Apparently the car has had the cylinder head, timing belt, clutch, and radiator replaced in the past. I will see about the water pump.

If they replaced the cylinder head that probably means the headgasket blew at some point I'm guessing. Checking compression should let me know if the replacement was adequate right?
Id say very unlikely it was head gasket related. More likely it had to do with valves.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Head gasket issue is on NA 2.5 only.

Timing belt does need to be done at apx 100k but its a job you can do in your garage yourself with no special tools needed and the motor absolutely does not need to be pulled to do a timing belt on these motors.
no kidding? I thought for sure the motor had to be pulled for the timing belt on that model. good to know.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
funwheeldrive

The more research I do, it seems like the NA models had the most problems. The 04-05 XTs seem to be pretty rugged, which is making me want the car even more......
Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
jasonojordan

Of the turbo motors yes the 04-05 2.5 was the best IMO as well.
@JoeC I had a 02 WRX it had the 2.0 but alot of the work including the timing belt service is more or less the same. To do so all you have to do is radiator and fans and boom got yourself enough room to do the work you need to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-05-2016), JoeC (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The motor doesn't need to be pulled for a timing belt. For head gaskets it is easier to have the motor out of the car, but still doable without pulling.

If it is half as clean as you're saying the current owner probably has service records to go along with their claim of repairs, and it should show up on the carfax / autocheck as well.

Either way, worst case scenario....everything goes bad and you're left without a motor. WTF cares, EJ engines are a dime a dozen and you can buy built/forged motors cheaper than you think. That motor or a derivative of it is used in cars today so interchange / replacement is easy.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post: