follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #29
motrek

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
If Clarion is contracted out to provide Subaru HUs, they agreed to a spec and price. Unless updates were written into that contract, Clarion doesn't have to do squat to make their units/HUs perform better as long as all contract obligations were met in the design.

I think this issue is rampant through the auto industry, from a technology standpoint, not including Tesla who sends vehicle updates over the air.

Imagine your car HU/Infotainment getting as many updates as your phone over the first 3 years of its life. The downside is you would be at the dealer every 6 months, which can be good or bad, depending on how you accept it.

Very few manufacturers offer post sales support on infotainment systems. You are stuck with the factory design shortcomings until you decide to change the HU itself or the manufacturer is forced to make a firmware update on newly released cars and makes the update available for cars already sold with similar equipment.

Mazda, as of recently, is guilty of this with their MazdaConnect system offering firmware update #59.X from #55.X or #57.X on certain HUs that administer a certain fault or performance problem, assuming the car comes back to the Mazda dealer.

Personally, offering updates to already sold cars is a great way to get people back into the dealer and establish a rapport with the customer, whether they are the original owner or the 2nd/3rd owner. And service after the sale, sells cars as much as the new car itself. Too bad this logic is lost in the current automotive environment.

Manufacturers are required to have parts available 10 years after a car's production, but the same thing isn't true for updates to the software inside.

hope the work arounds remain positive.
Firmware updates are presumably done by putting the new firmware on a USB flash drive, plugging in the drive while the car is off, turning on the car, and waiting for the update to finish.

There's no reason why the firmware couldn't be distributed on a web page and consumers could update their own head unit firmware. This is what happens with firmware updates for other devices like wifi routers and AV receivers. And, I assume, third-party aftermarket head units that are better supported.

But you're right, without some kind of legal obligation, of course these companies aren't going to be motivated to fix performance problems with head units like these.

I agree that that's shortsighted but for a different reason. Rather as an incentive to get customers back into the dealership, I see that as a mitigation for frustrating customer experiences. I mean, it's just a stereo, not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but these "infotainment" units are becoming more and more important to people. Even in the mid-2000s, Ford used Windows CE for their head units for a while and they experienced a record number of car returns under lemon laws because it kept crashing and otherwise eff'ing up. Before I bought my BRZ, I read a review of a Toyota 86 that had nothing but praise for the car except that half the review was negative because the author was constantly furious with the infotainment unit. So it clearly matters to a lot of people, just not to the point where any of these companies are literally forced to do anything about it.
motrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:06 AM   #30
suzyj

Drives: 2018 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My 6.2” factory head unit is giving me the shits over the last couple of days. It only connects to my phone (iPhone 6s) after a couple of cycles of rebooting the phone and powering down the head unit.

Then when it does connect, it’s gotta play something, so it plays the first song on the thing. I’m a little over Take on me, by ah-ha. I mean it’s a great song and all, but every time I drive out the driveway?

And never mind actually trying to choose an album to play using the head unit. The user interface might be able to cope with ten or twenty artists, but I’ve got more than that just under “a”.

Bloody hopeless. Everything else I own works flawlessly with my phone. I think i’ll prioritise swapping something in with CarPlay, as every CarPlay car I’ve driven has just worked.
suzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #31
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
...I’m a little over Take on me, by ah-ha. I mean it’s a great song and all, but every time I drive out the driveway?.
I use an iPod Classic in my car that has about 5,000 songs on it (fits nicely in the pocket next to the USB port and is black so you can't see it from outside the car). Even directly plugged in, every once in a while my headunit and the iPod decide it needs to start over. My first song is "Dancing Queen" by Abba.

I share your sentiment.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
motrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
My 6.2” factory head unit is giving me the shits over the last couple of days. It only connects to my phone (iPhone 6s) after a couple of cycles of rebooting the phone and powering down the head unit.

Then when it does connect, it’s gotta play something, so it plays the first song on the thing. I’m a little over Take on me, by ah-ha. I mean it’s a great song and all, but every time I drive out the driveway?

And never mind actually trying to choose an album to play using the head unit. The user interface might be able to cope with ten or twenty artists, but I’ve got more than that just under “a”.

Bloody hopeless. Everything else I own works flawlessly with my phone. I think i’ll prioritise swapping something in with CarPlay, as every CarPlay car I’ve driven has just worked.
Yeah CarPlay would clearly be better... it's disappointing that the car doesn't come with CarPlay on all models when many other cheaper cars do... although there IS an argument that it might be a cost-saving measure since I imagine that Apple does charge a licensing fee for CarPlay. :/

It might have been lost in a flurry of posts above, but the way I deal with the delay in connecting via Bluetooth is to start playing a song/podcast on my phone when I get in the car. It plays via the phone's speakers, then I start driving to where I'm going, and after a while the phone connects to the stereo and it switches to the stereo. So everything goes as expected except the podcast is playing from my phone in my pocket for ~30 seconds, which is stupid, but I've gotten used to it.

If the stereo isn't connecting at all then I'd would ask Subaru to replace the head unit under warranty. I doubt they would give you the option, but MAYBE they'd be willing to put in the 7" unit with CarPlay instead, to solve the problem... ?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #33
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
The base HU in the 13' is way worse.
You know, I always figured the 2013 base HU was a piece of junk too, but I tried streaming BT audio last weekend and it worked like a charm. Connected instantly to my phone (Moto X4) on startup too.

I didn't even know the HU supported BT audio streaming to be honest.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #34
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
First thing I always do when I get in my car is plug my phone in. Bluetooth audio is horrific, and frankly every stereo in any car outside of the luxury realm is on the poor side.

Subaru's are known to be even worse. It just comes with the territory.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #35
motrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
First thing I always do when I get in my car is plug my phone in. Bluetooth audio is horrific, and frankly every stereo in any car outside of the luxury realm is on the poor side.

Subaru's are known to be even worse. It just comes with the territory.
I tried plugging my phone into the stereo but didn't like it for some reason... is it possible you can't use the stereo's phone functionality when an iPhone is plugged in via USB?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #36
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I tried plugging my phone into the stereo but didn't like it for some reason... is it possible you can't use the stereo's phone functionality when an iPhone is plugged in via USB?
I do it all the time. Now from what I've seen about the actual head units issues, I would not be shocked if the one you have has some sort of idiotic screw up that wouldn't allow it. Different years seem to have different software, which have different idiosyncrasies, but the basic gist is that Subaru has never included a stereo in their vehicles actually worth having. If you have a free day it probably wouldn't hurt to drive by the dealership and talk to them about it, I am sure someone there has some sort of way to beat them into relative submission. If you actually like reasonable sound quality and music odds are even a mid tier aftermarket head unit will be both vastly superior sound quality wise and easier to figure out.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do it all the time. Now from what I've seen about the actual head units issues, I would not be shocked if the one you have has some sort of idiotic screw up that wouldn't allow it. Different years seem to have different software, which have different idiosyncrasies, but the basic gist is that Subaru has never included a stereo in their vehicles actually worth having. If you have a free day it probably wouldn't hurt to drive by the dealership and talk to them about it, I am sure someone there has some sort of way to beat them into relative submission. If you actually like reasonable sound quality and music odds are even a mid tier aftermarket head unit will be both vastly superior sound quality wise and easier to figure out.
My wife's 17 Impreza has the upgraded, top of the, bestest of the best, super-duper, extra $5,000,000,000, ultra great, optional 10" HU in it. It has been back to the dealer 6 times because it just stops working or there is a recall on it. About 10% of the time when you start the car it freezes up on the load screen just to decide to reboot 30 seconds before you shut the car off at the end of the drive. The phone connects or not like some electronic version of Deal or No Deal. Sometimes it decides it is 1 PM (no other time always 1 PM) at 6 PM (always 6 PM) and all in all is the simply the biggest piece crap electronic device I have ever dealt with. And I have dealt with some pretty crappy electronic devices in my day.

I have never once had any issue of any kind with the stock Pioneer unit in my 14 FRS. Not a single hic up.
motrek (01-17-2019), why? (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #38
motrek

Quote:
Cool, I'll try plugging my phone in via USB again sometime then.

As for sound quality, I have no complaints. The stereo factory defaults have a TON of sound post-processing. No wonder people complain about the sound quality. Once you turn all that s**t off, I think it sounds fine.

Specifically, for the 6.2" head unit, I would say make sure the graphic equalizer is flat, turn off the "Sound Restorer", turn off the "Volume Smoother", turn off the "Virtual Bass", and make sure the "Vocal Image Control" point is the same location as the overall balance point.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #39
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
well yes it does appear you aren't getting it if the headunit is already this aggravating this early in the relationship lol. in that whole thread we warned you this car is literally about driving, most everything else is pretty shitty even compared to a typical compact/midsize sedan as toyota and subaru spent the bare minimum for non driving related features. either way, it is very simple and affordable to replace the headunit...
Come on now.. every head unit in these cars have always sucked. Waiting to listen to audio without frustration isn't really that crazy of a thing. I forgot how terrible the HU was until I drove my new-to-me brz off the trailer. It is worse than every head unit I've had in any of my cars for at least the last 8-9 years.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
motrek (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #40
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Come on now.. every head unit in these cars have always sucked. Waiting to listen to audio without frustration isn't really that crazy of a thing. I forgot how terrible the HU was until I drove my new-to-me brz off the trailer. It is worse than every head unit I've had in any of my cars for at least the last 8-9 years.
ok but when did I ever say the HU was good? Still a silly thing to cry over, I was way too busy enjoying the ride the first few thousand miles on both my twins, screw listening to a half baked sound system, whereas OP was already worried even before buying his twin
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #41
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
ok but when did I ever say the HU was good? Still a silly thing to cry over, I was way too busy enjoying the ride the first few thousand miles on both my twins, screw listening to a half baked sound system, whereas OP was already worried even before buying his twin
That's cool that you don't care about the audio. He does. It doesn't mean he enjoys driving the car any less. I certainly enjoyed driving my first one (need to fix the second one..) but that doesn't mean that I don't understand his annoyance with the terrible stock HU.

It was no reason to call him out. And as pointed out, Subaru didn't overlook the HU because this was a drivers car. The crappy HU is used across their brand. Subaru is just shitty in some areas.. this is just one of them.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
motrek (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #42
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I use an iPod Classic in my car that has about 5,000 songs on it (fits nicely in the pocket next to the USB port and is black so you can't see it from outside the car). Even directly plugged in, every once in a while my headunit and the iPod decide it needs to start over. My first song is "Dancing Queen" by Abba.

I share your sentiment.
That is funny. My classic iPod in my truck does the same thing. Not sure if it Dancing Queen but it always starts with Abba. Now I have to go back and check to see what song.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-17-2019)