follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #183
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
Those sideskirt are just some of the parts reused from the FR-S RS 1.0.

Yeah they flow a lot better than the trd that have that stupid part on the front fender

Last edited by SuperTom; 10-16-2018 at 10:24 AM.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #184
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
Just bought my '19 TRD yesterday. Love everything about it. First sports car I have owned. Getting used to the firm ride. Not sure about the stripes. Gonna live with them for a month and then decide.

I do have one question that I hope someone will have an answer to. Is there a way to have both doors unlock with touching the drivers door handle? I scanned the owners manual but could not find an amswer. Thanks

Don

Stand next to the drivers door with the key fob.

1 - Hold down both the lock and unlock buttons till you hear two beeps.

2 - Open and close/lock the door with the handles to test the doors.

3 - Repeat these steps to reset to the driver's door only feature. > Note you should hear 3 beeps.
steel86gt (10-15-2018), TooSlow (11-05-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #185
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
Stand next to the drivers door with the key fob.

1 - Hold down both the lock and unlock buttons till you hear two beeps.

2 - Open and close/lock the door with the handles to test the doors.

3 - Repeat these steps to reset to the driver's door only feature. > Note you should hear 3 beeps.
That did the trick. Many thanks

Don
Dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadillac For This Useful Post:
TRD-X (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #186
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
You mean this one?
I was at the Tokyo Mega Web Toyota museum and they had a Neptune blue (or whatever they call the color there) sitting in the showroom

I gotta say, its a nice looking shade of blue but I don't love it on this car. Some angles I think it looks great, others I think it looks weird/off. I don't think i'd own this car in this colour.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #187
trueno86power
[||•]=(86)=[•||]

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Hi ! I have a request for any '19 TRD 86 owner:

Could you record the sound of the exhaust and take under car picture of it ?

From what I see it's the same catback as the regular "triangle" shape TRD catback, with way nicer tips.

Thanks !
trueno86power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #188
BellaItalia

Drives: 2017 860 Solar-stick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TRDSE View Post
That sure does look like it ... complete with a Centurion auto hauler in the background. I think if it was a 6 speed I would have taken it home ... and then my wife would have asked me to park it around the corner. Tough growing old ...
you mean your wife's getting old, we remain kids with cars like these, YAY
park it in the front yard !!
BellaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaItalia For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #189
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Today I confirmed with a friend who works at TMNA Plano who has access to a lot of data that there will only be 240 Neptunes imported into the US for the 2019 model year. So on average there will 20 per month to be wholesaled to 1,500 dealers. About half will be A/T's.

When I checked last week there were 3-4 within 100 miles according to cargurus.com. Today there's 1 left and it's an A/T. Some dealers are marking them up $1K.

OTOH, the TRD SE's are arriving in force. There are 10 on the ground within 100 miles. Some dealers are marking them up, the others are MSRP.
Toyota has been doing these limited run colours that were exclusive to their Grade 4 GT Limited Black Packages for a while now.

https://toyota.jp/86/grade/grade4/

They used to announce dates and the Thunder/Solid Gray/Moonslate was only sprayed in the factory from November 2017 till February 2018.

This Neptune/Apollo Blue has been around for 9 months so far and still available so it is not going to be as rare as Thunder.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #190
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybike View Post
Toyota has been doing these limited run colours that were exclusive to their Grade 4 GT Limited Black Packages for a while now.

https://toyota.jp/86/grade/grade4/

They used to announce dates and the Thunder/Solid Gray/Moonslate was only sprayed in the factory from November 2017 till February 2018.

This Neptune/Apollo Blue has been around for 9 months so far and still available so it is not going to be as rare as Thunder.
Same in the US going back to the 2013 FR-S 10 Series. 2,400 10 Series were imported here and sold as exclusive so each got a numbered plaque.

Difficult to say whether Thunder was rarer than Neptune without arrival numbers of both.

Yet 240 Neptunes for the US 2019 MY are planned but Toyota makes no limited run claims. No plaque for them.

Anyway, your Limited Black Grade 4 content is a dream machine compared to our cosmetic only Black GT's.

Last edited by Atmo; 11-07-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #191
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I had to run down to the Daytona Toyota dealer to pick up some Celica crash bolts to add some more camber to the rear of my Spyder. While I was there I took a stroll over to the new car lot to check out a 2019 TRD 86 that was parked there.

I came away very disappointed.

The Brembo brakes.

That is it. If I was going to buy a TRD edition I would find one of the used ones. IMO that model right there is an example of why Toyota cannot sell a lot of new 86s anymore. They give you virtually nothing new to get excited about and nothing to make the new car better than what you can find on the used car market. The changes they do make are arguably not an improvement. I would never spend $33K+ on what I saw today.
funwheeldrive (11-15-2018), Leonardo (11-14-2018), new2subaru (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #192
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
They give you virtually nothing new to get excited about and nothing to make the new car better than what you can find on the used car market. The changes they do make are arguably not an improvement. I would never spend $33K+ on what I saw today.
I thought something similar until I drove one. The Sachs dampers and Michelin tires, together about a $2K upgrade, won me over, but not at any price.

By next summer, these will be deeply discounted to make way if/when 2020's are released. Currently in my region most dealers including metro and rural have at least one TRD in stock, some two, with more on the way.

Anyway, I once owned a car that had "nothing new to get excited about" since 1964, a Lotus Super Seven, that despite added power by Caterham didn't change the personality, lightness and balance much. Today, an original S7 is worth multiples of it's original MSRP.

I'm not saying that will happen to any discontinued Toyota like your Spyder (had two of those amazing machines, four MR2's altogether), but do appreciate any effort to improve the model even though most of us here would've done it differently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Rampage (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #193
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

You are right. I did not drive it. My impressions were almost purely on the aesthetics. Maybe driving it would have improved my perception of it.

It is also possible that it would not have changed my mind much because my basis of comparison is my son's 2013 FR-S with RCE yellows on stock struts plus full TRD exhaust. That car rides nicer and handles better than it did stock. It also sits about .75 inches lower which looks great. The cost of those upgrades were about $600 (TRD exhaust bought pre-owned off a wreck).

I guess my point is that a new 86 should look and feel better than a 2013 to make me want to buy it. I did not want what I saw on the dealers lot. In my mind, Toyota is not trying hard enough to make us "WANT" what they are selling.
Atmo (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #194
Atmo

Yeah, contemporary performance car buyers are a fickle bunch. Surprising that FR-S buyers had to apply to buy at intro, it got COTY awards worldwide and was favorably compared to cars costing twice as much.

Now, they sit for months on dealer lots, have factory cash back and some of the same sources who loved the FR-S bash the 86 as obsolete.

Progress I suppose, but using Spyder as an example I still want a '05 with LSD even though little changed on them throughout their US life and then not necessarily for the best like increased ride height and weight.

A new 86 still has that hold on me with the engine, chassis, gearing and interior upgrades. Even though the body kit is edgy to me, if the car is discounted deeply enough next year I could live with it after removing the stripes.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #195
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Progress I suppose, but using Spyder as an example I still want a '05 with LSD even though little changed on them throughout their US life and then not necessarily for the best like increased ride height and weight.
Funny you mention that. The Spyder was another model that Toyota let whither on the vine. Only 27,941 were sold in the US in six years. Reviews of the styling were mixed with a lot of previous generation MR2 owners hating the look of the Spyder and that it was a convertible. Similar to the FT86 people loved the , for its time and class, light weight. It got rave reviews for its handling, power electric power steering and overall feel. After the initial attraction wore off, just like the 86, most the auto pundits and a lot of owners decreed the lack of "mor powa". Another common trait of the two are the ease of modification that makes both cars somewhat of a "blank canvas" for the enthusiast market.

Even though I loved the FT86 and even took a trip to Detroit in 2012 to attend the official unveiling, I never bought one for myself because I found it more cost effective to modify my Spyder to achieve the same or even superior performance. I do not like the "facelift" front end of the later models nor do I like the weight increase or ride height changes. I did update mine with the later side scoops, rear bumper inserts and tail lights.

For me, that is another thing I find common between the Spyder and FT86. I do not like either of their updated front bumpers. I know that I am in the minority but I also did not like the change from the regular antenna to the shark wart.

Anyway, I hate to see Toyota possibly repeating the mistakes of their past by letting this sports car fade away because of lack of imagination. Those stripes on the new TRD edition? Come on, who thought that was a good idea? They should have just put a badge similar to the one on the dash on each of the fender vent garnish things. That would have looked much better.

Last edited by Rampage; 11-15-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #196
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
You are right. I did not drive it. My impressions were almost purely on the aesthetics. Maybe driving it would have improved my perception of it.

It is also possible that it would not have changed my mind much because my basis of comparison is my son's 2013 FR-S with RCE yellows on stock struts plus full TRD exhaust. That car rides nicer and handles better than it did stock. It also sits about .75 inches lower which looks great. The cost of those upgrades were about $600 (TRD exhaust bought pre-owned off a wreck).

I guess my point is that a new 86 should look and feel better than a 2013 to make me want to buy it. I did not want what I saw on the dealers lot. In my mind, Toyota is not trying hard enough to make us "WANT" what they are selling.
Doubling the spring rates on stock shocks does not make it ride better lol. Maybe on tiny bumps in the road due to the shocks being softened by stiffer springs.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote