follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
My LCD speedo lags a tad too. Most noticable when coming to a complete stop because it's obvious you aren't doing 3mph when the car isn't moving.

As for break in methods. I also lean more towards the beat down method (only 75% of the rev band though) right out of the box vs babying it during that short period the cylinders still have a crosshatch on them. That crosshatch is there for bedding the rings. May as well take advantage of them before they are gone. BMW and Porsche have similar recommended break ins now to if I am not mistaken.
There are probably a few that do indeed recommend a heavy break in. That is just it though they recommend it. That does not mean it applies to all cars and that is why the engineers that designed each engine recommend the proper method for that engine.
Here is where everybody jumps on the "the manual was written by lawyers" bandwagon.
I doubt that there is anything wrong at all with a heavier break in but I for one will follow the recommendations of those that designed and built the car not some random internet articles or "experts". MLR is completely correct in saying to each their own on this subject though.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Mine lags about the same and it is KPH.
We have obviously uncovered a major conspiracy by the dealerships to force us to have service done sooner than required.
The simple fact that the odometer and speedometer are now electronic not mechanical and probably don't even use the same signals doesn't mean shit.

Im not saying its some sort of conspiracy its just the instantaneous velocity projected on the lcd can not keep up with actual car velocity, but im sure that the mileage and the cruising speed are accurate.
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semiihcircle For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiihcircle View Post
Im not saying its some sort of conspiracy its just the instantaneous velocity projected on the lcd can not keep up with actual car velocity, but im sure that the mileage and the cruising speed are accurate.
LOL Sorry I didn't think you thought it was. It was just a general remark since we all have the same thing. Was intended as irony.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xm3s0sleepyx View Post
Hey guys! I don't know much about cars (just some basics). - Am I being paranoid that I called out the dealership for trying to scam me,- Looking forward to your guys' advice!

[Semi-long story] Went to the dealership I bought my car from for maintenance. - I'm here all worried.
Is this your first new car?

Yes, I believe you are being a bit paranoid.

I always take my cars back to the dealerships for the free service period.

Before I take my car in, I mark the tires (if they are going to be rotated), and I mark the oil filter. When the service is complete and before I drive it off, I check the tire marks, check the oil filter, check the oil level and take a peek underneath to check for any drips coming from the drain plug.

After the free service period is over, I take my cars up to the local automotive shop where I trust the technicians. No, I don't do those above mentioned checks at the automotive shop - I wait till I get home.

No, I don't change my own oil - why? - because I don't wanna no more. I did that for 50 plus years and it is no longer fun.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-28-2018), Tristor (10-15-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
1) stop going to this dealership
2) what made you think the speed was off?
3) have you changed wheels/tires?
4) is the speed difference exponential or fixed?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL Sorry I didn't think you thought it was. It was just a general remark since we all have the same thing. Was intended as irony.
lol my bad!
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Is this your first new car?

Yes, I believe you are being a bit paranoid.

I always take my cars back to the dealerships for the free service period.

Before I take my car in, I mark the tires (if they are going to be rotated), and I mark the oil filter. When the service is complete and before I drive it off, I check the tire marks, check the oil filter, check the oil level and take a peek underneath to check for any drips coming from the drain plug.

After the free service period is over, I take my cars up to the local automotive shop where I trust the technicians. No, I don't do those above mentioned checks at the automotive shop - I wait till I get home.

No, I don't change my own oil - why? - because I don't wanna no more. I did that for 50 plus years and it is no longer fun.

humfrz

I am lucky in that my dealership IS my trusted automotive shop.
humfrz (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Who cares if your speedo lags a little? You realize you bought one of the least expensive RWD sports cars in the world right?

And don't donk your 86
Attached Images

guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (10-16-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #23
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're afraid that the dealership isn't changing your oil, then put a hidden mark on the oil filter to check for later.
After leaving a shop I always pull over and check oil levels, wiping the dipstick with a paper towel to check the color.

It would be distracting if the speedo updated at a faster rate.

If you want a faster speedo, connect a bluetooth OBD reader and run Torque Pro app on your phone. You'll see there that the engine computer has no problem refreshing quickly.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #24
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dealerships are crooked toxic cancer that must be avoided at all costs.

You chalked your tires and then asked them to do a rotation?
You busted them for not swapping the tires?
Did they then rotate the tires?

I was unable to understand the speedo issue.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #25
xm3s0sleepyx

Drives: Toyota 86
Thanks everyone! I enjoyed reading everyone's input and suggestions.

I haven't had the time to update in this post. I'll take majority of your expertise advice and say I'm paranoid, but all is okay! I'll end up taking it here once more due to it's free/warranty period. I'm still waiting for a call from their customer relations manager.

Once again I'm thankful for you guys being helpful in this community (to noobs like me).
xm3s0sleepyx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xm3s0sleepyx For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-04-2018), Tcoat (10-03-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #26
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Do your own maintenance. It's easy, it helps you learn more about your car, and because you (should) care more about your own vehicle, it'll give you a chance to notice and research anything that looks off that someone else may not bother mentioning. When you reinstall or torque any bolts, mark them with a paint pen. It'll help you easily check to see if things are shifting under load (e.g. suspension bolts) and if you for some reason need a shop to work on your car it's blatantly obvious if they didn't even remove the drain plug or whatever.

Honestly, unless I personally know and have had a beer with a mechanic they're not touching my car. I've had too many dishonest shysters try to rip me off in the past, and the dealership isn't even the half of it. It's unfortunate but I am not capable of doing everything myself nor do I have the right equipment, so I still have some things which require a shop. I'm lucky that I've found good people to build relationships with over the years when I need work done.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #27
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Stop looking at it.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote