follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #183
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senoko View Post
2 weeks of no crickets. GOD BLESS THIS NEW FUEL PUMP!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UArbzOExaBg"]Monty Python and the Holy Grail -God Be Praised - YouTube[/ame]
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
N1rve (12-03-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #184
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So when I had the car at the dealer service this past Saturday I talked to the Service Manager and told him about the TSB on the pump, he told me that they can't hear it now and I explained how it happens only in hot ambient temps. He said the TSB requires that the mechanic hear the sound before they can do the TSB work. Makes sense, then I told him I recorded audio of the noise and made a YouTube video of it. He said "Since it's Saturday they can't make a decision from that video until Monday, the Head Service Manager okay's the TSB's". He then said to email him the link to the vid, which I did and he called me today and said the TSB work has been approved, all the parts are on order and I scheduled the car for the work this Friday, they will give me a free rental car and should take them 3-4 hours. All I did was ask and it worked out. Hopefully.

By the way I went to Holman Toyota where I bought the car and have the service done. It's in South Jersey on Route 73 in Mount Laurel NJ 08054

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #185
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
An update for having it more than 30+ days on the new pump.

No more chirp/crickets. Used Costco 91 and Chevron 91 here in the West coast.

Seems good so far!
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xFury For This Useful Post:
N1rve (12-07-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #186
stevesnj

So I got the car back yesterday afternoon after a 7am drop off and complimentary rental. Three and 1/2 hour's later I got the call it was done. Attached is my service order and it shows I sent in a sound clip so this sets a precedent and other dealers could possibly honor a sound clip too. So here's my work order and it feel free to use it to show your Toyota dealer if they try to argue the point. Also the link to the clip I made last August that the foreman listen too and approved the TSB work from it. Hopefully it may help someone out. Any questions just ask away.

Okay so I've been working on cars since I was 12 and I am ver mechanically inclined and sensitive to changes in car performance after years of experience. This relates to me, and some others here, the new pump has a noticeable difference on performance. Just feels WAY more responsive compared to when I dropped the car off. Might be the new pump has to break in but no doubt the engine is more responsive than before. I think they did something else to the pump but maybe not. Just know for ME i felt a difference with the new pump.

All in all time will tell if this is the "fix" to kill the crickets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurff311 View Post
Quick up date: Drove over 300 miles on 93 octane and no crickets...plus it seemed...I don't know smoother. I'm not a mechanic or a tuner. I'm a driver. It just seemed everly so more responsive and nicer. I'll let you guys know more in a couple of days or so. Me, if you're at 50k get this TSB done.
Smoother here also

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Just had it put in at 1/4 tank. Old fuel pump was chirping on this same tank of gas. New fuel pump is not chirping.. yet. The car feels a little smoother in terms of acceleration. Could be placebo?
Feel the same what you said to me too, no placebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Placebo. The injectors are still giving the exact amount of fuel they always did. The pump just send fuel to the rail so changing it would have zero effect on how the car runs.
Something good happened though.lol

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUDRKMAZyg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUDRKMAZyg[/ame]
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fuel Pump TSB.pdf (1.12 MB, 174 views)

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
pooch (12-10-2016), Tcoat (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #187
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
So I got the car back yesterday afternoon after a 7am drop off and complimentary rental. Three and 1/2 hour's later I got the call it was done. Attached is my service order and it shows I sent in a sound clip so this sets a precedent and other dealers could possibly honor a sound clip too. So here's my work order and it feel free to use it to show your Toyota dealer if they try to argue the point. Also the link to the clip I made last August that the foreman listen too and approved the TSB work from it. Hopefully it may help someone out. Any questions just ask away.

Okay so I've been working on cars since I was 12 and I am ver mechanically inclined and sensitive to changes in car performance after years of experience. This relates to me, and some others here, the new pump has a noticeable difference on performance. Just feels WAY more responsive compared to when I dropped the car off. Might be the new pump has to break in but no doubt the engine is more responsive than before. I think they did something else to the pump but maybe not. Just know for ME i felt a difference with the new pump.

All in all time will tell if this is the "fix" to kill the crickets...

Smoother here also

Feel the same what you said to me too, no placebo

Something good happened though.lol

Confirmation of bias is strong!
Somebody please explain to me how a fuel pump will make the car run smoother? The rails receive the fuel and the injector feed a measured amount to the combustion chamber. Doesn't matter how the fuel gets there really. Did they change the tune to work with this miracle pump?

Edit: In reading that back it sounds way more harsh than I meant it! Serious question not sarcasm (except a little in the miracle part maybe)

Last edited by Tcoat; 12-10-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #188
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Dropped off 9am. Got free rental.

Hoping crickets get a muffler installed so that people don't tell me, "sounds like your car is going to explode..." anymore.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #189
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Is anyone running the new fuel pump and is tuned too? I'm wondering if the new pump effects OFT/Ecutec etc tunes.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #190
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Confirmation of bias is strong!
Somebody please explain to me how a fuel pump will make the car run smoother?
Honestly I have no clue, it should feel exactly the same. I agree with you but I noticed a difference but you're right, I shouldn't.

My 2016 Build thread

The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #191
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Is anyone running the new fuel pump and is tuned too? I'm wondering if the new pump effects OFT/Ecutec etc tunes.
Running slightly modified OTS Stage 2 UEL OFT map with no issues. I also felt the car running better after they changed the HPFP, but I'm sure it's just in my head.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
guybo (12-10-2016), stevesnj (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 02:13 AM   #192
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Honestly I have no clue, it should feel exactly the same. I agree with you but I noticed a difference but you're right, I shouldn't.
You're just feeling the performance of the engine before the ECU has relearned everything. I haven't yet disconnected my battery but I remember how much stronger my old Eclipse pulled for a while after resetting the ECU.

Eventually it will lean itself out enough to run cleanly.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #193
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You're just feeling the performance of the engine before the ECU has relearned everything. I haven't yet disconnected my battery but I remember how much stronger my old Eclipse pulled for a while after resetting the ECU.

Haven't thought of that, I had to reset my clock and other settings when I got it back. They should keep the ECU in permanent ECU reset learn mode..lol

My 2016 Build thread

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-11-2016), Ultramaroon (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #194
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

Oh damnit I never thought of that! You nailed it. And then as it learns the change will be gradual and the guys with the pump will not even notice the change so continue to feel they have better performance.

Ultramaroon (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #195
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
UPDATE: 12/11/2016

Fuel pump installed. Drove 387 miles. avg mpg up! Before avg was 28.9. Today was 34 solid mpg.

Noticed:

1) MPG bump up by 3-6. Solid with mix driving of about 20min city rest hwy.
2) Pump is a tad quieter. Meaning the tick of the pump. I'm not talking about the chirp.
3) Responsiveness is definitely better. I'm not even close to stalling.
4) Shifting feels smoother. RPM's dropping slower. 1st to 2nd is easy.
5) Arse dyno says car is just a tad smoother in acceleration so I gained like 500 hp.
6) I am still running on Chevron 91. Before I had cricket chirp. Now I do not. Same tank. Yes SAME.

Will update on 3rd gas tank fill up.

12/13/16 UPDATE

3rd tank of gas.
No crickets.
Shifting is smooth as butter
Acceleration is better
Mpg issss better.

Hit 29mpg in city by grandma driving and 35.8 in hey
Originally had 24/31.6 in this patch of road.

Last edited by Packofcrows; 12-13-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Packofcrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #196
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Took in my late '13 BRZ for a couple of other issues while I still the 3/36 warranty, and asked them about the crickets TSB. They said Subaru was replacing parts on cars within a particular VIN range, but saying it's normal operation outside of that VIN range, but they would check my car's VIN.

Apparently my car is within the range - advisor called and said they performed the idle stability TSB software update and have ordered the parts necessary for the fuel pump TSB. I asked what parts would be replaced - he said fuel pump, fuel pump bracket, a bunch of fuel lines, and the drivers side valve cover (?) - which seems like more than the invoice posted above...

I honestly was expecting them to just say "that's normal for these cars"...
86league is offline   Reply With Quote