follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Your review of other cars you own(ed)

Due to the recent "event" with my car, I got to drive my wife's car for a few days before getting a rental. I drive 200mi a day to and from my office, and her car never ceases to amaze me whenever I drive it any sort of extended distance - I am now experiencing the opposite with my rental, anyways...

I thought I would be interesting to have a thread with member reviews of cars other than the twins, especially since so many people here have owned such a broad array of vehicles.

I am going to keep my first one simple: Make/model/color/etc, driving experience, maintenance/operating costs, build quality/features. if there are more categories of interest that I have overlooked lets add them in as we go along.

2006 BMW 550i - Monaco Blue - Light Grey interior - Auto - 4.9L V8
Purchased in 2015 w/76kmi, 3rd owner, clean Carfax, all maintenance records - currently at 103k

Driving Experience: It is not an M-sport, so the body roll is more than I would like. But even with that being said, it handles better than it should for a car of its size and is fun to drive hard in sport mode as long as you're not on super tight twisty stuff. It is super smooth and comfortable, no weird sounds or rattles. It is happy to roll around like a limo, but will put you back in your seat and pull hard to 155 without hesitation.

Maintenance/operating costs: It is a BMW, it costs more to own than "normal" cars. However, if you are decent with a wrench I would say it costs about the same as paying a dealer to maintain/repair an Accord/Camry/etc. There is a difference between the NA V8 N62 in the 550 and the TT/Turbo I6 N54/N55 in the 535 when it comes to used/long term maintenance costs, the V8's have proven to be cheaper to maintain as these cars got beyond their warranties.

The iDrive computer died (not common) so that was like $1500 at our BMW indy shop, the same shop also flushed the trans and replaced the filter/pan assembly ($700) as well as the battery ($400). Other than that, I did the front brakes ($200), front LCAs ($300), hood struts ($20). I change the oil every 5k miles ($75) and air filters etc (pretty standard prices $20-$60), alignments run $130, tires are cheap and it averages about 22mpg with mixed driving, close to 30 on long highway drives.

I bought a labtop and cable with the full BMW dealer suite ($400) installed/configured. I actually haven't even used it yet, but if I ever need to do the battery again it will save me some $$ there, also allows me to code it for streaming BT, diagnostics, etc...of course nothing has gone wrong since I bought the setup, knock on wood.

Build Quality/Features: All I can say is outstanding, the interior materials are really nice and have held up as well as any car I have ever owned, it looks brand new inside every time to clean it. BMW paint chips easily, I wish one of the POs had put a clear bra on. If I ever get the front resprayed I will definitely do this.

Overall Summary: Probably the nicest car we have owned, I used to say it was a tossup between it and the Cayenne S, but now that we have had it for awhile I think it gets the nod.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
if a mod could move this to the "other cars" forum I would appreciate it, I am an idiot.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Might be better off here, but cool thread imo

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Edit: you ninja'd me lol. But @ichitaka05 could help you out

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 01-26-2018 at 02:43 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote