follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #15
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I installed a set of fog lights on my '13 FR-S, but would like them to operate as fog lights should; they should turn on only when the fog light switch is activated AND the low beams are on, and should go off automatically when the high beams are switched on or when the headlights are turned off. Right now, they're controlled just by the pushbutton dash switch. The relay, fuse, and power for the lights themselves are connected to the battery.

Right now, the fog light switch draws power from the ignition wire. Where exactly is the low beam wire to which I should attach the fog light switch wire?

Thanks... asked this a few times over the past two years, and haven't been able to figure it out yet.
So if you are using a relay harness that uses a power wire to trigger the relay to power the fogs (power from the battery itself). then I would use the trigger wire and hook it up to the positive wire on 1 of your running lights in the fender well or to the actual low beam wire on the back of the headlight.

I would go off the positive on the running light. This would allow you to run "independent fog lights" as long as your running lights are on, and would allow them to remain on when you use your high beams.

I believe your car should be PREWIRED for OEM fog lights. If that is the case, that is your best bet to have them wired properly to run like stock.

Plugs for the fogs should be tucked up and tapped off to the wire harness behind the running lights (if brz) or blinkers (if FRS).

Then you would need to purchase an OEM Light Stalk (if brz) or switch / wire harness (If FRS).

The last thing would be plugging in the OEM relay into the the spot for it behind the dash near the fuse panel.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #16
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
there are places you can use a phillips head screw driver to aim them higher manually. even with the oem ones, you can aim them manually.

what i do is set the height to 2, (There are 6 total settings) on the switch then. aim them the proper height using a phillips head screw driver on the headlight itself. (park 25ft (10m)from a wall on flat ground. the height of the left side of the cutoff should measure 2" (5cm) lower than the height from the ground to the center of the headlight).

then while driving you have a good range to adjust the height using the leveling wheel in the cabin. I aim them lower when driving through the city and higher when going through the country side.

-B

this is the back of your headlight, if you look at the top of the small grey box (the leveler motor) there is a spot to insert the screwdriver on the top. OR you can use an 8mm wrench/socket.

I don’t think my model came with that switch you’re talking about but I’ll double check. I’ll give the manual adjustment a shot too.
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #17
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust View Post
I don’t think my model came with that switch you’re talking about but I’ll double check. I’ll give the manual adjustment a shot too.
if yours has the automatic leveling as opposed to the switch, ignore my instructions on what to set it to. just go out and manually aim them to that height. what happens is the sensor on the control arm measures the angle of the control arm due to the weight in the car and automatically sets the headlights to whatever you initially aimed them for! my old mini cooper S had the same thing. Audis also have that.

-B
The Following User Says Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Lust (12-21-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #18
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a 2017 BRZ, with the led head lights and tail lights. Would it be possible to make the turn signals in the headlights and taillights sequential? I'm thinking the PCB for the leds would need to custom wired, but just wanted to see if there's another solution.

Also, I added a GCS fourth brake light and the reverse lights aren't very bright. I live on a very dark street so it's hard to parallel park because I can't really see the curb on the right side when reversing. Do you have any suggestions regarding adding more reverse lights, mainly on the side of the car so I can see the curb when backing up? I'm able to see fine in the rear, thanks to the backup camera, but the curb is hard to see. I was thinking of putting white underglow lights under the car on the right side along the passenger door and connecting that to trigger with the reverse lights. Or maybe some lights under passenger side mirror and point it towards the ground and triggering with the reverse lights? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #19
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
I have a 2017 BRZ, with the led head lights and tail lights. Would it be possible to make the turn signals in the headlights and taillights sequential? I'm thinking the PCB for the leds would need to custom wired, but just wanted to see if there's another solution.

You sure can, a ghost board would be needed and individual wires to the leds would need to be soldered.

Also, I added a GCS fourth brake light and the reverse lights aren't very bright. I live on a very dark street so it's hard to parallel park because I can't really see the curb on the right side when reversing. Do you have any suggestions regarding adding more reverse lights, mainly on the side of the car so I can see the curb when backing up? I'm able to see fine in the rear, thanks to the backup camera, but the curb is hard to see. I was thinking of putting white underglow lights under the car on the right side along the passenger door and connecting that to trigger with the reverse lights. Or maybe some lights under passenger side mirror and point it towards the ground and triggering with the reverse lights? Do you have any suggestions?

you can mount a low mount LED pod like a baja designs one (no cheap ebay stuff). They are just a bit pricey but well worth it. If you want something on each side of the car you can put on on each side just under the front of the doors and angle them backwards.

Thanks for the help.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...nering-LED.asp

-B
Old 12-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. Seems like there's no cheap or easy solution.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
Retrorv

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2014 FR-S. The headlights on low beam are awful. They just aren't bright enough. The brights are fine but useless in city driving. Should I just buy new headlight sets or swap out the bulbs. If so, what are the recommendations for each.
Retrorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #22
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrorv View Post
I have a 2014 FR-S. The headlights on low beam are awful. They just aren't bright enough. The brights are fine but useless in city driving. Should I just buy new headlight sets or swap out the bulbs. If so, what are the recommendations for each.
I would swap out the projectors on the inside of the headlights for proper HID projectors for best output without having to swap entire headlights for used BRZ ones.

you can install a HID kit into the oem projectors and they will be brighter but the output wont be as even/smooth as a proper retrofit.

NO you want cause glare to oncoming by putting a HID bulb into the halogen projector.

DO NOT!! put led bulbs in them, the optics are vastly different and will only cause more issues and wont benefit you.

It comes down to your budget, and how much performance you want out of them.

-B
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
adrixe

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Got some questions on spyder headlights.
Got it for my brz. But the drl lights doesnt work. Looks like i need to tap it somewhere to work. Any chance you kinda know it? I could take more detailed pictures if you need me to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
adrixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrixe View Post
Got some questions on spyder headlights.
Got it for my brz. But the drl lights doesnt work. Looks like i need to tap it somewhere to work. Any chance you kinda know it? I could take more detailed pictures if you need me to.

aw man that wiring looks like a mess. I wouldnt be able to do anything without seeing it in person. Maybe grab a volt meter or test meter and find out which wires do what.

how come you changed out your OEM BRZ headlights?

-B
Old 12-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
adrixe

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
aw man that wiring looks like a mess. I wouldnt be able to do anything without seeing it in person. Maybe grab a volt meter or test meter and find out which wires do what.

how come you changed out your OEM BRZ headlights?

-B
Had a little accident and my driver headlights got busted. Its still working lights, but broken glass.
Too expensive for getting a oem.

adrixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 AM   #26
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've got some clouding on the top of my stock headlights near the hood. I've never used any of those kits to clear them up. Any tips or advice?

Also should I remove the lights before repairing?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #27
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I've got some clouding on the top of my stock headlights near the hood. I've never used any of those kits to clear them up. Any tips or advice?

Also should I remove the lights before repairing?
That is the clear coat fading from sunlight. It happens on most headlights starting from the top. You can use a good polish on them to restore them to clear again. The only downside is that it will come back slowly overtime but that is normal. Just try to park in the shade. Pop you good and a buffer if you have one or if you don’t a microfiber cloth with your hand.

I use Ardex 1500 (its amazing at lightly polishing paint or removing swirls aswell)

If you are worried about making a mess you can put painters tape around the surrounding areas.

A lot of those headlight restore kits are a bit over board unless your headlights are very very brown. You could also try (plastic-x polish) from a local car store.

-B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-10-2018), DandoX (12-31-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:31 AM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What I've done with one of my previous cars was after washing the car (so the headlights get washed too), I popped the hood, clay barred the headlight, and used Meguiar's Plast-x by hand with a microfiber towel. You just gotta keep the headlights waxed often, and it should slow down the oxidation/fading of the lenses.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
HeresMyMind (01-05-2018), Overdrive (05-03-2020)