follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom Axle back questions

I'm interested in getting a local shop to make me a custom axle back that will bolt up to the stock mid pipe. Mostly for the sound and a little weight savings for a low price. I was thinking of single tip exiting from the passenger side hole.

I'd like to research and maybe buy/provide the muffler myself but I don't really know where to start. Any specific make/models of mufflers I should look into? Where's a good place to shop for a muffler?

What I'm looking for is basically a small muffler that will keep the drone and volume below what a muffler delete would be and will also bolt up real quick-like to the stock midpipe:

1. designed for a single exit axle back to bolt up to the stock mid pipe
2. no drone under 3.5k RPM
3. light-weight
4. exhaust tone/note that's semi-raw, close to a muffler delete with volume a notch or two lower than a real muffler delete.

Any muffler catalogs online that I can look through?

Also, will 2.5" or 2.75" piping bolt onto the stock mid pipe? I realize there will be basically zero gains for stock midpipe -> 2.5" AB but I was thinking it might make exhaust note a bit deeper/more rumble.

Sorry for all the noob questions, this would be my first experience in any custom exhaust work. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Bigger is better for deep and not droney sound. Trust me you really cant get too big if you wanna be happy with the results, put weight savings second, no matter how many pounds you save with just an axel back it wont be noticeable.

However I say you just get the Works AB-M and save yourself the custom car shop headache, wish I had.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDubbinTDI For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
However I say you just get the Works AB-M and save yourself the custom car shop headache, wish I had.
Did you have a lot of trouble getting a custom AB made and it ended up costing quite a bit more to get it fixed?
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'd talk to @FT-86 SpeedFactory and see if they can hook you up with just the muffler portion of their V2 cat-back. It's single exit, sounds amazing, is light as a feather, and performs most admirably. That is definitly the route I'd go in your situation.

Also, as a side not, make sure whatever shop does the custom work has access to a mandrel pipe bender. compression bent pipe will actually hinder your performance as it creates restrictions in the system, resulting in poor flow dynamics as well as turbulence.
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
Did you have a lot of trouble getting a custom AB made and it ended up costing quite a bit more to get it fixed?

Started with a Berk muffler delete and it was too droney to live with and then somebody else sold me a defective axelback and now its just my J2 catless front pipe which is a little too raspy to enjoy, even though its the right volume. I feel like if ide just started with either a custom cat back or Works AB-M ida been happy right from the start. Ive lost probably $100 just shipping out my used exhausts alone and it friggin sucks. One and done woulda been really nice, but this is car modification, it rarely goes 100% as planned.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote