follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
MyNave

Drives: 2013 stock blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
metal on metal sound when releasing the clutch

so when i pull the clutch pedal up from the floor there is a kind of popping noise coming from the front of the car. I can only hear it when i have the windows down and no music.
I looked it up and it might be the throw bearing or could be the clutch.
I would hate it if it was the clutch because i only have like 27k miles on it, and that must mean i am horrible and have been shifting all wrong the entire time. I deliver pizzas in this car so i drive it pretty rough, though.
MyNave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
Mr Nerd

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You got a bideo of da sound holmes?
Mr Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
MyNave

Drives: 2013 stock blue
well my friend who has had more than one manual car said that is a normal noise and that every manual car he has been in has had that noise.
it just sounded louder to me because i was in a drive through against a wall.
MyNave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNave View Post
so when i pull the clutch pedal up from the floor there is a kind of popping noise coming from the front of the car. I can only hear it when i have the windows down and no music.
I looked it up and it might be the throw bearing or could be the clutch.
I would hate it if it was the clutch because i only have like 27k miles on it, and that must mean i am horrible and have been shifting all wrong the entire time. I deliver pizzas in this car so i drive it pretty rough, though.
First off, you shouldn't have to "pull" the clutch pedal up from the floor, if your clutch system is operating properly, it should come up all by itself......

So, tell us more about when this sound occurs ...... engine running or not .. ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
teddy.fla

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series #209/2500
I just had the same issue, I brought into the dealer and they found metal shavings in my transmission and offered full tranny replacement under warranty, biggest thing they said that showed the failure was shifting from 4th to 5th over 4k rpms always grinding. Hopefully this helps.
teddy.fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy.fla View Post
I just had the same issue, I brought into the dealer and they found metal shavings in my transmission and offered full tranny replacement under warranty, biggest thing they said that showed the failure was shifting from 4th to 5th over 4k rpms always grinding. Hopefully this helps.
Jesus, I really don't see how that could be the cause of the noise but full replacement under warranty doesn't sound bad So the noise was gone after the transmission was replaced then? Did they replace any clutch parts as well?

I'm experiencing a similar noise to OP and was assuming it was the throw out bearing starting to go bad. Mine can only be heard when next to a wall(drive thru) and with engine running but car in neutral. I can press and release the clutch over and over and the noise repeats every time. Almost sounds like taking 2 small sheets of steel and hitting their faces together.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
teddy.fla

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series #209/2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Jesus, I really don't see how that could be the cause of the noise but full replacement under warranty doesn't sound bad So the noise was gone after the transmission was replaced then? Did they replace any clutch parts as well?

I'm experiencing a similar noise to OP and was assuming it was the throw out bearing starting to go bad. Mine can only be heard when next to a wall(drive thru) and with engine running but car in neutral. I can press and release the clutch over and over and the noise repeats every time. Almost sounds like taking 2 small sheets of steel and hitting their faces together.
now the combination of the grinding from 4th to 5th over 4k rpms and the metal on metal sound were the showing signs. the dealer didn't really give me any info other than that they thought it was a manufac. defect with the transmission, they did not replace any clutch parts, they did replace the throw out bearing. My issue now is with the new transmission I'm hearing a clicking noise when accelerating in 3rd and 5th gear, will be bringing the car back in this friday to hopefully figure out what's going on. Decided to go to a local Toyota/Subaru master tech instead of the dealer because they seem to just give me the run around on the situation.

** Note: Also on cold starts in cold weather(for a floridian lol) I was getting faint whining noises from the transmission
teddy.fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
jfarkas

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
From my experience and from what i've gathered from others, the whining on cold starts/in cold weather is normal. I've noticed no other issues from it and it disappears once it warms up or the weather is above about 40 degrees or so. Changed my transmission fluid(manual trans) and there were no abnormalities apart from the typical little bit of metallic crud on the plug magnet.
jfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote