follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Good detail paint shops?

Anyone know of any good/experienced paint detail shops in the Portland/Beaverton/Salem area? Considering opti coat, but probably just a good polish and color correction.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Uptown auto detail in NW pdx
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Turbo95eg6

I'll check it out. Anyone try the one on 13th NW?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
tech4pdx
Make love

You mean west side auto detail? I've heard good things.

I've had my car detailed 3 or 4 times at uptown auto detail and they do a phenomenal job. Attn to detail is wonderful.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Anyone know of any good/experienced paint detail shops in the Portland/Beaverton/Salem area? Considering opti coat, but probably just a good polish and color correction.

Don't go to a shop - if you're going to get opti-coat done, have Thomas Dekany do it. Seriously - the guy is one of the best detailers in the country, and we're fortunate enough to have him living right here.

You can contact him through his website like I did - http://tdekany.com/

He is meticulous, patient, and will not do anything less than a perfect job on your vehicle; he will even come to your house to do the opti-coating. I had him opti-coat my car last week; he will polish every scratch and swirl out of your car before applying the opti-coat; it will look better than new once Tom is done with it. Here are the results of my car after he finished with it:

Last edited by Ammunition; 11-26-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammunition For This Useful Post:
Turbo95eg6 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
Don't go to a shop - if you're going to get opti-coat done, have Thomas Dekany do it. Seriously - the guy is one of the best detailers in the country, and we're fortunate enough to have him living right here.

He is meticulous, patient, and will not do anything less than a perfect job on your vehicle; he will even come to your house to do the opti-coating. I had him opti-coat my car last week; he will polish every scratch and swirl out of your car before applying the opti-coat; it will look better than new once Tom is done with it. Here are the results of my car after he finished with it:

What did that run? Looks great
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Turbo95eg6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post

Curious, how did you find him? Exact type of reference I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Curious, how did you find him? Exact type of reference I was looking for. Thanks!
I think I ended up finding his website through a google search after I became interested in the opti-coating, and found out that not all people are certified to do it.

I am extremely particular about the condition of my car (my FR-S is my first new vehicle), and protecting it. After reading some of the testimonials, and hearing nothing but superb things about Tom and his work, I decided to contact him.

I trusted Tom almost immediately from our initial interactions - he is not interested in profit, and he is completely honest with you. If he feels that he can't do a job to complete perfection, or isn't the best qualified for it, he will tell you; when I pointed out a rock chip to him that I had another detailer touch up (and I was still unhappy with it), he referred me to someone that he thoguht could do a better job on it, and went as far as to get a quote for me. He said we could wait on the opti-coating application until after it was taken care of - so that I could be as happy as possible with the state of my car before applying it. The guy he referred me to did an amazing job on the touch up and made the rock chip I had look better than I ever thought that it could. I'm digressing a bit, but again I was simply amazed by how much Tom cared about my car and about me being happy with it.

He drove out to my house without charge just to take a look at my car, the state of the paint, and to give me an accurate quote. After meeting with Tom, you can tell almost immediately that he sincerely cares about his work, and he really just wants to make your car look fantastic - I didn't think it was possible, but Tom was even more meticulous and concerned about anything happening to my car than I am.

I didn't know it at the time, but after working with him I found out later that he has universal recognition, he knows Garry Dean personally, and here he is living just outside of Portland! After working with Tom, I wouldn't consider having anyone else detail my car - even if I lived a few hours away.

He definitely has my recommendation - especially if you're living in Portland, I would at least shoot him an e-mail.

Last edited by Ammunition; 11-26-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
What did that run? Looks great
Thanks - you'll have to talk with Tom about pricing, it all depends on the condition of your paint, and how much work it'll need to be prepared for the opti-coating.

I think that Tom cut me a very generous deal on it after he learned that I had just spent $85 getting it washed and waxed at a detailing shop - only to discover from Tom that they actually induced scratches into my paint. If you want a number value though, I would expect to pay $500 - $700, but again that all depends on the state of your paint.

I believe the cost of the opti-coating alone is going to be $395 for the cost of the product - no matter who you get it from. Then you're going to pay for the application, and for the paint to be polished, clayed, etc to remove all impurities before the opti-coating is applied since the paint will need to be perfect, or as close to perfect as is possible before the opti-coating which will essentially preserve the state of the paint once it's applied.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
tech4pdx
Make love

I just met with Thomas and he's going to take care of my ride. Nice guy too.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4pdx View Post
I just met with Thomas and he's going to take care of my ride. Nice guy too.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #12
Turbo95eg6

On a related subject, does anyone know a good place that have a good reputation in touching up rock chips? Want to repair them before color correction, and I don't trust myself (let alone an average shop) to work on my Satin White paint.

Considering Apex Auto Spa or Ace Detail in Beaverton. Any feedback would be swell.