follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
More power to USB port

Is there any way to boost the power to the builtin USB port? I haven't tested the actual output but it must be pretty low - my phone battery goes down if I'm running a nav app, even though it says its charging.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z86 View Post
Is there any way to boost the power to the builtin USB port? I haven't tested the actual output but it must be pretty low - my phone battery goes down if I'm running a nav app, even though it says its charging.
I am curious also. It charges SO SLOW. I'm no electrician.....but i did check the Fuse box underneath. Perhaps if we increased to a 10 amp or higher?

Manual (i think) says its a 2 or 7.5. I dont know lol
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
It's the amperage coming from the head unit that controls the USB port. There's no way to "tweak" it. You'd either have to rig up your own LM7805 to the USB power wires or buy one of those cheap cigarette lighter to USB converter and use the bluetooth on your phone instead to stream music.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
xpicer

Drives: 2013 frs white out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen View Post
It's the amperage coming from the head unit that controls the USB port. There's no way to "tweak" it. You'd either have to rig up your own LM7805 to the USB power wires or buy one of those cheap cigarette lighter to USB converter and use the bluetooth on your phone instead to stream music.
Actually i think we can, we can cut the power wire that feeds the usb port, then we grab a diode place it inline facing the usb port. then we grab 12 output from the cigarete lligther or any 12v source , use a resitor to bring down the voltage to 6v or what ever needed. and then tap the power feed wire after the diode, all we will have to watch for is maybe current spikes. ( definitely possible!!! !!!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
A linear voltage regulator? Shouldnt you know the max voltage spec for a trickle charger to your phone first?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
xpicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectD View Post
I am curious also. It charges SO SLOW. I'm no electrician.....but i did check the Fuse box underneath. Perhaps if we increased to a 10 amp or higher?

Manual (i think) says its a 2 or 7.5. I dont know lol
btw the fuses only protect the circuit, changing fuses wont change the amp/ voltage. you can only alter the output source and use a fuse to suit your needs.
ProjectD (12-16-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
rmjjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpicer View Post
Actually i think we can, we can cut the power wire that feeds the usb port, then we grab a diode place it inline facing the usb port. then we grab 12 output from the cigarete lligther or any 12v source , use a resitor to bring down the voltage to 6v or what ever needed. and then tap the power feed wire after the diode, all we will have to watch for is maybe current spikes. ( definitely possible!!! !!!
That's what the LM7805 does - it's a 5V regulator - no need for any voltage divider circuits and it costs something like $1. You'd install the 7805 and take the output leg (5V) and connect it to the power wire in the usb port. Break out the volt meter, find the existing +5V cut it, and then use the out from the 7805 and feed it to the USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
A linear voltage regulator? Shouldnt you know the max voltage spec for a trickle charger to your phone first?
It's USB - USB is USB - it's 5V and 250mA standard. Charging is based on amperage not voltage. The 7805 is capable of supplying 1A and unless your phone is shorted, it will not draw 1A of current. You may need a resistor to limit the current draw such as a 20 ohm 1.25W in series between the output leg and the device. That would limit the current draw to 0.25A. But if you're looking to get a boost than you'd probably want to match whatever your regular charger amperage is (not USB power).
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
rmjjensen

I just looked at my home charger - it's output is rated at 5V 1A. So, the 7805 is right at it's limit. Throw a heatsink on it and it'll be fine and if you're nervous put a resistor on the output leg.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just looked at my home charger - it's output is rated at 5V 1A. So, the 7805 is right at it's limit. Throw a heatsink on it and it'll be fine and if you're nervous put a resistor on the output leg.
Words of wisdom. Listen to this guy!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
xpicer

[QUOTE=rmjjensen;608840]That's what the LM7805 does - it's a 5V regulator - no need for any voltage divider circuits and it costs something like $1. You'd install the 7805 and take the output leg (5V) and connect it to the power wire in the usb port. Break out the volt meter, find the existing +5V cut it, and then use the out from the 7805 and feed it to the USB port.

you dont think that the hu might have problems if the orginal power wire coming out of the hu is not connected to anything? like i know on some other modules the voltage/ amperage drop is measured to dictate if the component is connected to the module ???
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's USB - USB is USB - it's 5V and 250mA standard. Charging is based on amperage not voltage. The 7805 is capable of supplying 1A and unless your phone is shorted, it will not draw 1A of current. You may need a resistor to limit the current draw such as a 20 ohm 1.25W in series between the output leg and the device. That would limit the current draw to 0.25A. But if you're looking to get a boost than you'd probably want to match whatever your regular charger amperage is (not USB power).
A USB2 compliant device can take a minimum of 100mA, after which it can request high power mode of up to 500mA. All powered USB compliant host must provide at least 500mA of power.

However, many hosts can provide more than that, and many clients will request more than that.

If the host is providing 1000mA (or 1A), then it should be charging fiarly well. But it might be a case of the device asking for 1.1A or more, and the host just saying 'No dice, I dont have that much' and reverting back to 500 or even 100.

If you have a multimeter you could easily test what you are getting.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You wont find an automotive usb port on a head unit over 1 amp usually and the ports on most are .5amp which is why the devices never charge. Some phones and tablets now require 2 amp usb ports as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
nab

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The nav app on android is definitely a power hog. I switched to waze and I find my phone keeps it's charge longer. I would get something that goes above 1 amp because I find my phone charges much faster if I plug it into my 2A tablet charger.
nab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That's what the LM7805 does - it's a 5V regulator - no need for any voltage divider circuits and it costs something like $1. You'd install the 7805 and take the output leg (5V) and connect it to the power wire in the usb port. Break out the volt meter, find the existing +5V cut it, and then use the out from the 7805 and feed it to the USB port.

Hey man I know this may sound silly to ya but you wouldn't happen to be able to draw up a quick little wiring diagram in MSPaint or some other such thing for this? It would be a huge help for those of us who can better visualize this kind of stuff with drawing over words. I am seriously considering doing this since i hate using the silly cigarette outlet for my charger, just want a little more clarification on what goes where so i don't futz it up.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote