follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #911
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMB FR-S View Post
Just ordered my uel! Very excited! #437!
Just beat me, #438 here
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #912
powerj2

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Jdl. I ordered the header. Over pipe and catted front pipe. Are gaskets provided or do I need to order a bunch of gaskets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pew
powerj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #913
Sphirit

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
¿Any Cel or problems with JDL Catted EL header without a tune?
Sphirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #914
steveoexige

Drives: UK GT86 in White with alcantara
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys, any news back yet on my gettinglouderbytheday muffler? I cant go near a track here in the UK with it as it is

Jesse was looking into this and said I'll hear back on Monday as we had a plan on the table but it's all gone quiet.....
Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #915
Toyota GT 86

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody here running The header (uel or el) with Invidia Q300 catback? Im running invidia q300 + invida catless front pipe + invida overpipe. Power is good but the best is the sound, really smoth and quite at low RPMs. Im planning to upgrade header + ecutek tune. Any recommendations? Should I go with UEL or EL? Thanks
Toyota GT 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #916
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota GT 86 View Post
Does anybody here running The header (uel or el) with Invidia Q300 catback? Im running invidia q300 + invida catless front pipe + invida overpipe. Power is good but the best is the sound, really smoth and quite at low RPMs. Im planning to upgrade header + ecutek tune. Any recommendations? Should I go with UEL or EL? Thanks
There's currently no header and full exhaust combination that will keep it quiet (quiet is subjective, but by my 30 yr old standard, none is quiet enough). Having said that, I believe the Q300 is about the quietest catback available? What I did with my car is had a custom exhaust made locally with one magnaflow inline muffler and a big oval muffler in the back. My car is nicknamed the quietest 500 whp car ever. (Of course, my car has turbo so that quiets it down even more, but a BIG part of my quietness is the mufflers).

Also, go EL. UEL is just the sound of exhaust inefficiency. Not worth it. I've had both UEL and EL, I stay with EL.

(Sorry about derailing your other thread, I just spoke my mind and it got really sidetracked).
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Toyota GT 86 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #917
Yui-Chan

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Very interested in these headers (the EL ones)...but why does everyone get the UEL? Doesn't the EL design make more power..or, not in this particular case and not for the JDL header?

What are the differences in powerband and peak output of the UEL and EL of the JDL designs? Any dyno overlays??
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #918
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui-Chan View Post
Very interested in these headers (the EL ones)...but why does everyone get the UEL? Doesn't the EL design make more power..or, not in this particular case and not for the JDL header?

What are the differences in powerband and peak output of the UEL and EL of the JDL designs? Any dyno overlays??
For most people (myself included), it comes down to sound. Some people want the Subaru rumble from their cars while others do not. I like the UEL sound so I went with it.

From all the dynos, I have seen on this site for the various headers, EL does make more power but it is small amount more. I am not into squeezing out every last HP out of my car (It is staying NA) so the small difference was never factored in my decision.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #919
Toyota GT 86

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
There's currently no header and full exhaust combination that will keep it quiet (quiet is subjective, but by my 30 yr old standard, none is quiet enough). Having said that, I believe the Q300 is about the quietest catback available? What I did with my car is had a custom exhaust made locally with one magnaflow inline muffler and a big oval muffler in the back. My car is nicknamed the quietest 500 whp car ever. (Of course, my car has turbo so that quiets it down even more, but a BIG part of my quietness is the mufflers).

Also, go EL. UEL is just the sound of exhaust inefficiency. Not worth it. I've had both UEL and EL, I stay with EL.

(Sorry about derailing your other thread, I just spoke my mind and it got really sidetracked).
Thanks for that, i Know that the sound is going to be louder but i think i could accepted because i have the q300. On the other hand... I dont care about subaru sound .... I want power and torque, so EL should be my decision? EL is better in all rpm's ¿? @JDLAutoDesign
Toyota GT 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #920
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota GT 86 View Post
Thanks for that, i Know that the sound is going to be louder but i think i could accepted because i have the q300. On the other hand... I dont care about subaru sound .... I want power and torque, so EL should be my decision? EL is better in all rpm's ¿? @JDLAutoDesign
I haven't researched much in a few months, but the general understanding in EL vs UEL, is that EL gives you more top end power and UEL can give you more in the midrange. Still, the total area under the curve is typically more on EL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Toyota GT 86 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #921
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
JDL Auto Design - 2014 Exhaust Products

I was talking to @jamesm about what I could expect out of the JDL EL I ordered and he said:

"it's the most effective (UEL or EL, both JDLs) at providing a nice flat curve from all the way down low
up top youll see gains similar to any other header.. 10whp or so. what matters when it comes to headers is how they shape the curve, and the JDLs do an excellent job of that"

Granted that's his experience tuning with them but I'm looking forward to it!

Also, I got some go pro footage of the single exit JDL exhaust. Need to get on a pc so I can upload it though.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #922
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Quote:

I have a Greddy SP Elite with midpipe and its very close to stock in terms of noise when cruising, and very very slightly louder at idle and WOT.

I also went for UEL for my BRZ as I love that rumble, but my Cobb Stage 2 WRX is super quiet, go figure...
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #923
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I have a Greddy SP Elite with midpipe and its very close to stock in terms of noise when cruising, and very very slightly louder at idle and WOT.

I also went for UEL for my BRZ as I love that rumble, but my Cobb Stage 2 WRX is super quiet, go figure...
I meant loudness with full exhaust AND header all installed (mayb e this is what you have, but I understood from your posrt you still don't have a header).

Your WRX is quiet because there is no bigger/better muffler than the turbo blades
Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #924
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Quote:
I meant loudness with full exhaust AND header all installed (mayb e this is what you have, but I understood from your posrt you still don't have a header).

Your WRX is quiet because there is no bigger/better muffler than the turbo blades
Yeah but in terms of your comment on cat back noise, the SP Elite is damn quiet.

I still expected some rumble with my WRX, considering its catless with UEL as well but the muffler is pretty quiet I guess, but its nice for daily driving and I love hearing that turbo spool...
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-12-2014)