follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
barabia

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do crash bolts provide enough camber for autoX?

I know there are probably a ton of variables involved in answering this but more or less generally would crash bolt provide enough/not enough/more than enough camber to maximize front tire grip in an autoX setting? Also what are possibly better alternatives for someone running with stock struts? Specifically Im currently running stock struts with TRD lowering springs and 235 +35 wheels/tires and tannabe sway bars.
barabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
So many different opinions

225 tyres. The camber bolts much better improvement for front grip, feel and less wear on the outside shoulder of tyre for me in an autoX setting. Suited my budget. The car is otherwise stock
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
barabia (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
barabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigh View Post
Depends on the class you're running. Do you want more camber than the OEM crash bolts give? Hell yes, but if you're in C Street, you're SOL. If you're running in STX, you're going to get suggestions to go for something more aggressive. I know there are a lot of people in the -2 to -3 range for STX.
I do run STX, what would be something more aggressive? I've heard of people using camber plates or camber bolts which I believe give more camber than crash bolts. and Im pretty sure I DO want more camber than crash bolts will give me. I also daily drive the car and am running R-S3 tires and dont want to go so far as to cause too much inside wear (although I only average about 25 miles a day). Just looking to hear what others are doing and whats working for them. Knowledge is power :o)
Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
The crash bolts hardly change the camber at all, but for stock it is all you can do. With wider front wheels and tires and STX you are better off with plates or camber bolts.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
not really...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Nhil

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have roughly -1.5 in front with springs and I would ideally like 2.5-3, they don't provide much but it's better than nothing.
Nhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
In STX you will need much more camber than stock bolts give you to be competitive. Stock class another story.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabia View Post
I do run STX, what would be something more aggressive? I've heard of people using camber plates or camber bolts which I believe give more camber than crash bolts. and Im pretty sure I DO want more camber than crash bolts will give me. I also daily drive the car and am running R-S3 tires and dont want to go so far as to cause too much inside wear (although I only average about 25 miles a day). Just looking to hear what others are doing and whats working for them. Knowledge is power :o)
We're missing a little bit of data here. What size are the wheels?

This will be a trade-off situation for you then if inside edge wear is a real concern. The few serious STX people who've told me how much front camber they had were all more than 3 degrees negative. You can't get there with OEM crash bolts. Or with any camber bolts that I'm aware of (but you'll get closer). You'll likely need plates to hit those levels.

But, at those levels, your tires will see some meaningful wear. Potential ideas for that:
-Rotate religiously and flip them on the rims at what you think might be a midpoint to their life
-Make do with less camber and maybe try to mitigate that with toe settings
-Accept it as an operating cost of a car that turns well

As for struts. That's another trade-off. How attached are you to the idea of keeping the TRD springs?
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
barabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
We're missing a little bit of data here. What size are the wheels?

This will be a trade-off situation for you then if inside edge wear is a real concern. The few serious STX people who've told me how much front camber they had were all more than 3 degrees negative. You can't get there with OEM crash bolts. Or with any camber bolts that I'm aware of (but you'll get closer). You'll likely need plates to hit those levels.

But, at those levels, your tires will see some meaningful wear. Potential ideas for that:
-Rotate religiously and flip them on the rims at what you think might be a midpoint to their life
-Make do with less camber and maybe try to mitigate that with toe settings
-Accept it as an operating cost of a car that turns well

As for struts. That's another trade-off. How attached are you to the idea of keeping the TRD springs?
The tires hankook RS4 V2 235/40-17 on xxr 530 17x8.25 +35 rims. I am attached to the idea of keeping my TRD springs. In fact I absolutely love the feel of the car right now. Its just that now that I have put this wider wheel/tire setup on. I can really tell that the back has a lot more camber than the front. Ive been looking around at camber plates and I would have no idea which one to choose and they're all actually pretty expensive...definitely outside this years budget since the tire purchase :o/

SO Im thinking SPC camber bolts it is. Ill send some pics in a second so you can see what Im talking about.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
barabia

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1404855963499.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  46.1 KBbackName:  uploadfromtaptalk1404855988502.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  41.1 KBbackName:  uploadfromtaptalk1404856003191.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  57.0 KBfrontName:  uploadfromtaptalk1404856017150.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  60.8 KBfront
Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
barabia

You can even see how some of the lettering is still present on the outside tread of the rear tire. Im ok with this Im just worried I might wear too much of the outside front when autocrossing, as even after some spirited back roads driving its wearing almost all the way to the sidewall.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Your tire wear looks fine. If I wasnt so lazy Id post a pic of mine...but imagine that arrow completely gone.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabia View Post
Its just that now that I have put this wider wheel/tire setup on. I can really tell that the back has a lot more camber than the front. Ive been looking around at camber plates and I would have no idea which one to choose and they're all actually pretty expensive...definitely outside this years budget since the tire purchase :o/

SO Im thinking SPC camber bolts it is. Ill send some pics in a second so you can see what Im talking about.
Like @vroom4 said, that outside wear looks just fine, especially given how soft the sidewalls are on that tire.

As for visually more rear camber, yeah, that'll happen when you lower a car. No camber improvement up front because of McStruts. So, when you lowered the car, you got more in the rear. Maybe also consider camber correction (lower control arms, offset bushings) in the rear as you move forward?
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
barabia (07-16-2014)