follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some cars lend themselves better to this sort of project than others. If your objective is to have a properly working MT FR-S as soon as possible, then sell the auto and get a manual. If your objective is to work on an interesting project, then start scavenging parts or better yet pick a car from 3-4 decades ago to do it on; earlier cars are much easier to work on.

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #16
Ravenlokk

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a good reason to go with a lot of aftermarket drivetrain upgrades. If you're going to spend the money on parts and labor- may as well get better than stock for a marginal increase in cost
Ravenlokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've been thinking of next year trading my auto since I'm sure there will be more manuals to be had. However, I really want to see if they pop up with a Release series or at least more options factory installed (preferably performance wise). As much as I would like to put money into the one I have right now, I'm trying to be patient...
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here's a rough list of parts which you will need:

-Transmission
-Clutch
-Flywheel
-Clutch MC & SC with Lines
-Clutch Pedal
-Brake Pedal
-Shifter Assembly
-Transmission Mount
-Driveshaft (Including carrier bearings)
-ECU
-Transmission Wiring Harness (Could potentially include engine harness)
-Dash Harness (Probably)
-Possibly Final Drive (I can't remember if autos have a different FD or not)

It will be a lot of work and money, but certainly not impossible. However, to minimize cost, downtime, and work just sell the auto and get a manual car.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d1ck For This Useful Post:
itdansharpe (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
itdansharpe

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinRz View Post
My DD is a manual. That was the mistake you made. Switching it is gonna cost way more. Should of just bought a manual in the first place. Why wouldnt you lol. If its cause of city driving n traffic you made a bad mistake cuz its not a problem at all just bc of those things.
My reasoning was I came from an '07 335i auto, and thoroughly enjoyed keeping my hands planted on the wheels, and my full attention on the road ahead.

I've driven manuals my whole life until that car.

To be clear, I am not regretting the decision to have an auto. I realize the pro's and con's. I'm also aware of costs associated with a transmission swap. I started the thread simply to see if anyone has done it, and to chat about it.

I won't take offense to the comments, not on a forum. I will say it's childish to assume you know someones knowledge level after 30 words.

New: 2014 6MT Asphalt Rota Titan 17x9, RS-3 V2, Skunk2 Pro-C, Eibach Sway Bars, Password:JDM Strut Tower Bar, Perrin MCB, StopTech Stainless Lines, Hawk HP+, Nameless 3" Exhaust, VG Sharkfin, FIVE:AD Spoiler, DDM Tuning HID's 5k, HID
Old: 2013 6AT Boosted Firestorm..
itdansharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itdansharpe For This Useful Post:
soros151 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Anything is possible with enough $$$
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdansharpe View Post
My reasoning was I came from an '07 335i auto, and thoroughly enjoyed keeping my hands planted on the wheels, and my full attention on the road ahead.

I've driven manuals my whole life until that car.

To be clear, I am not regretting the decision to have an auto. I realize the pro's and con's. I'm also aware of costs associated with a transmission swap. I started the thread simply to see if anyone has done it, and to chat about it.

I won't take offense to the comments, not on a forum. I will say it's childish to assume you know someones knowledge level after 30 words.

I don't think you'll maybe ever find someone who has done it. They have been selling the WRX for 10 years now and I've only seen a couple guys who have swapped from an auto to a manual, usually to the STi 6MT. Things never really work correctly unless you swap all of the wiring and ECU from a manual car.

If you can find a crashed manual donor car that's probably your best bet. Mechanically the swaps aren't difficult at all. But like every other poster has said in here, much cheaper/easier to just trade the car for a manual, especially for a car with a warranty...
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
I don't think you'll maybe ever find someone who has done it. They have been selling the WRX for 10 years now and I've only seen a couple guys who have swapped from an auto to a manual, usually to the STi 6MT. Things never really work correctly unless you swap all of the wiring and ECU from a manual car.

If you can find a crashed manual donor car that's probably your best bet. Mechanically the swaps aren't difficult at all. But like every other poster has said in here, much cheaper/easier to just trade the car for a manual, especially for a car with a warranty...
I think we are very much in agreement on this last part I bolded/italicized. I will add though that plenty of people have swapped ECUs/Trans/Engines from WRX and STi into impreza 2.5 cars. Tons of interchangeability across all those years. While the swap from AT to MT is some more steps/parts, this definitely is not an impossible swap. Like I said, with enough time, attention to detail, and patience to wait for cheaper parts options... This is very doable.

OP, I like your enthusiasm and curiosity. And I agree that's what these forums should be about, asking questions like this. BUT, you probably aren't gonna find anybody that has done this yet on this particular car since the car just came out, it's all new model, and parts aren't interchangeable with other Subaru/Toyotas on a large scale like in a model like the impreza for all those years.

All that said, it would be interesting to get some good research going about part interchangeablity across this model and other model Subarus/Toyotas. I don't think there will be tons of info on actual swap pitfalls/easiness/hardness until somebody just bites the bullet and "figure it out as they go" on a real swap.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
The problem with swapping in a manual on a modern car is that you run the risk of a lot of control modules freaking out and throwing codes.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
Here's a rough list of parts which you will need:

-Transmission
-Clutch
-Flywheel
-Clutch MC & SC with Lines
-Clutch Pedal
-Brake Pedal
-Shifter Assembly
-Transmission Mount
-Driveshaft (Including carrier bearings)
-ECU
-Transmission Wiring Harness (Could potentially include engine harness)
-Dash Harness (Probably)
-Possibly Final Drive (I can't remember if autos have a different FD or not)

It will be a lot of work and money, but certainly not impossible. However, to minimize cost, downtime, and work just sell the auto and get a manual car.
+ cluster

and, kiss your warranty goodbye.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #25
soros151
SorosMotorsports

Drives: Whiteout Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
May I ask why are you pondering changing to a manual transmission? I'm just curious. I have yet to see somebody complaining about how much the auto transmission can handle, even with forced induction. Just pointing that out. I don't think anyone has done a swap either yet. All the big companies are going straight to buying the manual transmission option. I wouldn't mind seeing if anybody knows the limit of the Automatic transmission though.
soros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
Captain Insano

I think P&L Motorsports is running pretty decent power with a turbo kit through the AT.

EDIT:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15483
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yup because the owner has a disability.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
Captain Insano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarGC View Post
Yup because the owner has a disability.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Not trying to be rude, but what does this have to do with anything? The AT is holding pretty good power in that setup. The owner being disabled is totally irrelevant.