follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
yup drove it 20 miles, let it cool down and the oil level according to the stick is perfect.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow, $30 for a pack of 6. that's a great deal. Thanks!

Does anybody know which cabin air filter fits our cars? I've been having a hard trying to find this
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
what can I say... the oil on the dipstick is exactly between the high and low holes. i'll double check it tomorrow.
There's your problem. You should fill it to the top mark.

It's always best to use genuine filters for warranty and I assume you did all the other checks required for the service?
They could also void the warranty if you are not qualified to carry out the work on the basis that the service was invalid.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't ever hit mileage markers for my maintenance only by months. So every 3 months its an oil change for me and usually tire rotation.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteve View Post
I don't ever hit mileage markers for my maintenance only by months. So every 3 months its an oil change for me and usually tire rotation.
I'm the opposite and prefer to go by the distance travelled. Out of warranty if it travelled 7,500km in 2 years that's when I would change the oil, unless it looked knackered.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
I'm the opposite and prefer to go by the distance travelled. Out of warranty if it travelled 7,500km in 2 years that's when I would change the oil, unless it looked knackered.
I drive 2 miles to work 5 days a week. When I do my oil changes the oil is dark enough to have warranted the change.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
MeFryRice

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I work for a Porsche dealership and we always recommend doing the oil change once a year if you don't hit the targeted miles.
MeFryRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Garage
Quote:
There's your problem. You should fill it to the top mark.

It's always best to use genuine filters for warranty and I assume you did all the other checks required for the service?
They could also void the warranty if you are not qualified to carry out the work on the basis that the service was invalid.
the oil level is fine. I'm not losing any sleep.

oil and filter are both within factory specs. no need to worry if they will void the warranty.

QUALIFIED to perform an oil change? there is no such license / exam / certification for being qualified to do an oil change.

are people really that afraid about doing their own oil changes? keep the receipts, document what you've done and don't think twice about it.
sroby (12-28-2018)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I personally would avoid using non factory oil filters for this car. Not one aftermarket filter I've seen has the same bypass specs and flow rates as the factory filter for the FA20. I personally would love to, but nothing is available. They have a few discussions on the Subie flow rates over at bobistheoilguy.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anaxilus For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-21-2013), PoorMansRacing (11-20-2013), protpibe (12-17-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #24
sierra

Quote:
the oil level is fine. I'm not losing any sleep.

oil and filter are both within factory specs. no need to worry if they will void the warranty.

QUALIFIED to perform an oil change? there is no such license / exam / certification for being qualified to do an oil change.

are people really that afraid about doing their own oil changes? keep the receipts, document what you've done and don't think twice about it.
Lot's of us do oil changes between the service intervals but your thread states,

Skip the dealer and do your own 15K maintenance for $55.87!

There's a lot more than an oil change at the 15k service, even though it's not changing anything else and if it's not signed or stamped by someone qualified to carry out the work you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

Last edited by sierra; 10-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Garage
Quote:
Lot's of us do oil changes between the service intervals but your thread states,

Skip the dealer and do your own 15K maintenance for $55.87!

There's a lot more than an oil change at the 15k service, even though it's not changing anything else and if it's not signed or stamped by someone qualified to carry out the work you can kiss your warranty goodbye.
Ok... what else is required to be replaced at 15k besides a CABIN air filter? (which can also be done by anyone) Nothing.

http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...&mileage=15000
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Quote:
Ok... what else is required to be replaced at 15k besides a CABIN air filter? (which can also be done by anyone) Nothing.

http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...&mileage=15000
I don't have the maintenance list in front of me but don't they do a bunch of checks too? Not saying that the tech will actually DO the checks, but I could see a failure in something related to the checks leading to warranty questions.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I don't have the maintenance list in front of me but don't they do a bunch of checks too? Not saying that the tech will actually DO the checks, but I could see a failure in something related to the checks leading to warranty questions.
Yes - just a bunch of checks for stuff that's supposed to last way longer than 36 months of driving. They do refill the wiper/coolant fluid. Not sure if they touch the steering or brake fluid though.

The only other actual 'labor' besides the oil change is the tire rotation. I've already used all 3 of my 'free checks' and they failed to rotate the tires on the second appointment even though they checked off that they did on the inspection receipt.

I highly doubt the dealerships would let us know if something was amiss during the inspection since that would just mean time/money/labor out of their own pocket.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
Yes - just a bunch of checks for stuff that's supposed to last way longer than 36 months of driving. They do refill the wiper/coolant fluid. Not sure if they touch the steering or brake fluid though.

The only other actual 'labor' besides the oil change is the tire rotation. I've already used all 3 of my 'free checks' and they failed to rotate the tires on the second appointment even though they checked off that they did on the inspection receipt.

I highly doubt the dealerships would let us know if something was amiss during the inspection since that would just mean time/money/labor out of their own pocket.
I agree with you completely. The techs don't actually check that stuff, I can't even get them to fill my tires with air!

But... I was meaning that it is a question of transfer of liability. Something goes bad on one of those items that is supposed to be "checked" (not even sure what would, but hypothetically) there is a difference on whether they did the "check" and you claiming you did the "check". Obviously if they did the "check" (or lack of) then there is no question about warranty coverage.

Not saying that people shouldn't do their own maintenance. I would probably rather just take the risk than to put my car in the hands of those monkeys.

Just saying that getting the maintenance done at the dealer is more of a difference than just $55 and an hour of wrenching.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote