follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Shadowsong6

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thoughts on the specs from a potential owner... FR-S/BRZ over new V6 Mustang?

Hey all,

I've been a member here since the Mk 1 was new, I don't post much, so some of you probably don't know me. I'm in the market for a new car, looking to buy around the start of the summer. Here's the thing, I currently drive a 2005 V6 Mustang, with the FR-S/BRZ I'd have about the same power, but a lot less weight, so I imagine it would feel faster, BUT the new Mustang V6 with 100 more HP will probably fall into the same price range. Now, I've always been more of a handling guy rather than a bute force type (much to my friend's dismay with his SRT Challenger.. lol). Heres the thing, I live in Texas, there isn't much... play space for handling cars, but there is ample amount for brute force. Considering the new Mustangs actually handle VERY well, AND have more power to play with, from a totally objective standpoint, what is to stop someone in my position from picking the Mustang over the FR-S/BRZ?

Don't get me wrong, I love this car, and the Mustang both, I haven't made a decision, and won't untill I drive them both (driven the Mustang already..), ideally I'd have both.. haha

OR, perhaps go with the FR-S/BRZ and put a turbo on it (yes yes I know, most of us are sick to death of turbo talk...) it would only gain a few pounds, so it wouldn't murder the handling aspect, but it would gain some decent power, and being lighter already it would probably be the better all around car.

Thoughts and/or opinions?

Sorry for the long-ish read, and possibly the wrong section.

Edit: Thanks for moving it to the correct secton!
Shadowsong6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Used '11 Mustang GT for mid 20s. Unless you have to buy new, in that case it's not really something anyone can suggest as none of us have driven the car yet. But bringing used cars into a new car debate is another can of worms entirely, even if it's a viable option.

Personally, I just want something fun. There are plenty of fun cars out there, but I want the one that is the most fun for my dollar, and the only way to figure that out is to drive them.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Shadowsong6

That is not outside the realm of possibility, while I wouldn't mind a GT, I'd rather build up a V6... I don't know why, just a preference. The better MPGs, and cheaper insurance don't hurt either. lol Whatever I decide to get will be modified, there is no question about that, there is nothing better than spending the day putting new parts on the car with your buds and taking it out for a test drive that night!

Neither of these cars will have a shortage of parts in the aftermarket, the Mustang's might be a bit smaller though, considering most companies focus on the V8.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a friend that had a V6 Mustang, as in one of the older ones. We gave him crap for it all the time, in jest of course. It was really a tastefully modded car. He eventually traded for a GT, and then sold that and bought a Mini Cooper S.

Insurance I can understand. Will a build V6 really get better gas mileage than a stock V8 though? I really have no idea, I haven't had a Mustang in ten years. There's a decent way to go to catch up to the V8. And yeah, I know the mod bug well. I haven't been scratching it though, because the "no money," "mortgage," and "baby" bugs have bitten me recently.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Honestly, I believe it's a bit unfair to ask for people's in opinion between a Mustang and the FR-S in an FR-S forum. The same can be said if you were in a Mustang forum and asked the same question.

The best thing you can do is test drive both then make your decision when it's available.

Also, things to consider:

-What do you plan to do with the car since you live in Texas and there are not too many tracks?
-Is price an issue?
-Do most of your buddies own domestic cars and if so will owning import be the center of jokes?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Shadowsong6

Well, the Mustang even modded would still pull better mpgs than the v8, I'd be dropping weight like a mo-fo, and adding twins, so as long as I stayed out of boost I'd be fine.

The FR-S would probably receive the same treatment, drop some weight, and add a turbo.

I'm not nessicarily asking people to pick one or the other, I suppose I'm just thinking outloud, considering the two cars are around the same pricepoint, and will likely be cross shopped by someone (like me) who wants something sporty, but cheap (-ish).

Either car would see the strip occasionally, see the few curvy back roads around here pretty regularly, see parkinglot shows every other weekend, be driven daily, and there would be the occasional (responsible) highway blast, if I can find it, I'd like to get into autocross as well.

Initial price is a bit of an issue, I'd like to stay under ~28k, the mods would all come later and over a very spread out period of time.

Most of my friends do own domestics, but I tend to hang out with a more educated group of people, so the potential is more important to us than import/domestic.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
for me, it's not a matter of horsepower and spec numbers (it was when i was in high school which is exactly why i have my wrx), it's all about how the car feels. when i drove the new mustang, it felt solid; like swinging a big heavy baseball bat when going full throttle. The fr-s will be more like a katana sword; super delicate with precise control. Different kind of fun.
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
for me, it's not a matter of horsepower and spec numbers (it was when i was in high school which is exactly why i have my wrx), it's all about how the car feels. when i drove the new mustang, it felt solid; like swinging a big heavy baseball bat when going full throttle. The fr-s will be more like a katana sword; super delicate with precise control. Different kind of fun.
Nice analogy. Both do damage, just different kinds.
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Having read up on the Mustang suspension, even the new edge is still using an inferior setup with the torque tube. It's vastly better than the old foxbody setup to be sure. Anything you do with the Mustang, handling wise, would require an upgraded suspensions and either be unlivable on the street or inferior in handling. IRS is a a big compromise in weight but that is only a loss in acceleration, a big deal on the strip not so much everywhere else.

I would wait until the 2014 Mustang info is revealed at a minimum. If you are even interested in the slightest. Ford would have to eliminate the v8 and cut the dimensions down enough to support a 4 banger before I would consider it. A hatch might help too. And FFV. And turbo. and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
As with all of these threads, wait until the car comes out and drive both. You will answer your own question.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong6 View Post
Well, the Mustang even modded would still pull better mpgs than the v8, I'd be dropping weight like a mo-fo, and adding twins, so as long as I stayed out of boost I'd be fine.
Out of curiosity, would this be a custom setup, or a kit? I have a v6 as well (given FWD) and havent really seen any turbo builds worth the time due to the complexity, which in turn produces lag and unwanted heat in the engine bay.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Shadowsong6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
Out of curiosity, would this be a custom setup, or a kit? I have a v6 as well (given FWD) and havent really seen any turbo builds worth the time due to the complexity, which in turn produces lag and unwanted heat in the engine bay.
It would be a kit, hellion should have a v6 mustang kit out in 4-6 months, and I've heard nothing but good things about their products. Noticable lag is probably due to improper sizing of the turbo. If the turbo is sized corectly in relation to the motor you shouldn't notice any terrible lag. As for heat, you are going to be adding heat to the bay no matter what kind of FI you go with... unfortunately.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong6 View Post
It would be a kit, hellion should have a v6 mustang kit out in 4-6 months, and I've heard nothing but good things about their products. Noticable lag is probably due to improper sizing of the turbo. If the turbo is sized corectly in relation to the motor you shouldn't notice any terrible lag. As for heat, you are going to be adding heat to the bay no matter what kind of FI you go with... unfortunately.
Is it sequential or regular twins? and how much HP would you plan on getting out of it?

I am looking into a custom single setup, with log style exhaust manifolds on both sides converging together and meeting at the exhaust flange, with the turboback exhaust port pointed downwards... trying to figure out how this could be done efficiently with two banks of cylinders.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Used '11 Mustang GT for mid 20s. Unless you have to buy new, in that case it's not really something anyone can suggest as none of us have driven the car yet. But bringing used cars into a new car debate is another can of worms entirely, even if it's a viable option.

Personally, I just want something fun. There are plenty of fun cars out there, but I want the one that is the most fun for my dollar, and the only way to figure that out is to drive them.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote