follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #2731
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
What would you recommend as a fix for a street-driven car? A number of people have been having issues with fuel starvation during high-g left turns, so it's definitely something that could stand to be addressed.
Keep the tank full...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #2732
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I've never paid attention... No room under car for small surge tank or does that still apply since it's not OEM engineered?

I ask not to be rude at all, I have a feeling my BRZ will be my track toy soon enough and the GTI has a surge tank from the factory so I've never needed to worry about it before. Too bad VW couldn't engineer the rest of the car to save their ass.
No room

I'm not a fan of external surges at all; the chance of it getting damaged and causing a fuel fire is too large.

I won't coach cars with systems like that at all. If it's not disclosed up front (as requested), I'll just give a refund to the student and go home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (05-19-2015), Ultramaroon (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #2733
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What is the setup on all the cars?

The banking at ACS is 14 degrees, and FRS's pull 2G+ there for extended (10+ seconds) periods without issue...
Street tires and RCE tarmac 2's. One NA one 450whp. The 3rd car is 225 whp built NA with JRZ'S still on street tires. We also had fuel starve at AMS on the roval. All e85. Atl brz is one of the cars.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #2734
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Street tires and RCE tarmac 2's. One NA one 450whp. The 3rd car is 225 whp built NA with JRZ'S still on street tires. We also had fuel starve at AMS on the roval. All e85. Atl brz is one of the cars.
225whp na?? thats got to be the highest ive seen for sure.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #2735
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
If anyone is wondering about engine logs with OFT stage 2 at the track, here's mine.

http://datazap.me/u/darksunrise/trac...og=0&data=1-14

You can see a fair amount of knock in the form of FLKC, although IAM was solidly 1.0 and didn't drop.

In terms of fuel I was running:

- 2/3 of my tank was a bad batch of 93 octane (I filled up the day before my track event and was suddenly seeing knock on the street)
- 1/3 of my tank was 100 octane from the track

Call it 94 octane maybe. Definitely a good idea to add 100 octane or use e85 at the track. Later in the day, I later added another 1/3 tank of 100 octane and the engine was happier - I had much less knock and gained a couple of mph at the end of the straight. It's nice being able to pull on those pesky S2000's!

I had also installed a Perrin oil cooler. Looks pretty effective from the log. Even during the later hotter sessions, I don't think I saw anything north of 235 F. The only downside is I think the oil cooler lines are heating up my stock airbox and increasing IATs by 10 F, maybe more. I'm constantly seeing IATs 20 F above ambient now at speed.

I'll see if I can take some logs with higher mix of 100 octane later today.
Following up on my earlier post, here is a track log with a higher mix of 100 octane, roughly 97 octane:

http://datazap.me/u/darksunrise/data...og=0&data=1-14

You can see FLKC is much reduced. Oddly though, I started seeing progressively more FLKC in later sessions, even running the higher octane. Here's a log from my 4th (and fastest) session:

http://datazap.me/u/darksunrise/data...og=0&data=1-14

Even though IAM's remained solidly at 1.0, I might start running the OFT 91 octane map at the track to be safe.

The Perrin oil cooler was great at the track though. Peak oil temps were around 235 F, exactly what I was expecting.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #2736
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
225whp na?? thats got to be the highest ive seen for sure.
Yes it holds the record na. 223 whp mustang dyno. Dbw motorsports has it on their Facebook page. Built high compression NA car.
troek (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #2737
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I went to Shenandoah circuit yesterday and I had so much fun.

Brake/tire setup
OEM rotors
Front - Project Mu HC800
Rear - stoptech street performance
Stainless steel lines
ATE type 200 fluid
Sumitomo HTR Z III

This was my second visit to this circuit, so I was more familiar with the track. I drove a bit more agrressively after each lap and I noticed at the end of each session, the brake would not work as it did in the beginning of the session. After 2nd session, I bled the brakes and there was a little bit of air in it. 3rd session, same feeling - great at beginning, fading at the end of the session.

Is the issue brake fluid boiling, so leaving moisture in line? I've read from muptiple posts that ATE200 doesn't do that great on track. I know the boiling point is the lowest among the dot4 fluids, but just making sure I change to the right fluid on my next event.

Also, any recommendation on budget rotor/pad upgrade would be appreciated! Thank you.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #2738
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I removed one of my front DBA rotors to do some work to the ducting. On the back side, there was a perfect imprint of the carbotech pad. My previous reported issue was the pulsing, which we determined must be from the pad material that appeared to have melted on the visible front side.

Now that I've taken the rotor off, I can see a perfect impression of pad material in the shape of the pad on the back. The front doesn't have that. Seems to me that the rear pad stuck to the rotor when it was parked in the paddock. I checked the slider pins before the track day, and they appeared ok. Any thoughts on why this happened?
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #2739
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
I removed one of my front DBA rotors to do some work to the ducting. On the back side, there was a perfect imprint of the carbotech pad. My previous reported issue was the pulsing, which we determined must be from the pad material that appeared to have melted on the visible front side.

Now that I've taken the rotor off, I can see a perfect impression of pad material in the shape of the pad on the back. The front doesn't have that. Seems to me that the rear pad stuck to the rotor when it was parked in the paddock. I checked the slider pins before the track day, and they appeared ok. Any thoughts on why this happened?
Are you driving with the pedal dance? If not, the rear brake is probably being actuated by the EBD/E-diff/VSC/whatever, resulting in a hotter rear brake than front.

While you may have cooled the front brakes enough, the rear was probably still hot when you parked. I can't think of any other logical explanation. We know 100% that the brake was hot, but the reason why, is purely speculation.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #2740
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
I went to Shenandoah circuit yesterday and I had so much fun.

Brake/tire setup
OEM rotors
Front - Project Mu HC800
Rear - stoptech street performance
Stainless steel lines
ATE type 200 fluid
Sumitomo HTR Z III

This was my second visit to this circuit, so I was more familiar with the track. I drove a bit more agrressively after each lap and I noticed at the end of each session, the brake would not work as it did in the beginning of the session. After 2nd session, I bled the brakes and there was a little bit of air in it. 3rd session, same feeling - great at beginning, fading at the end of the session.

Is the issue brake fluid boiling, so leaving moisture in line? I've read from muptiple posts that ATE200 doesn't do that great on track. I know the boiling point is the lowest among the dot4 fluids, but just making sure I change to the right fluid on my next event.

Also, any recommendation on budget rotor/pad upgrade would be appreciated! Thank you.
You need to step up the pads and the fluid.

You're getting the pads hot enough that they're fading (overheating) at the end of the sessions, and losing their bite. If you haven't already, you'll boil the ATE 200 (mushy pedal) as you get faster and step up the pads.

We can help you with both. If you like the feel of the HC+800, try the Club Racer or 999 (approximately double and triple the cost of the HC+800).
Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #2741
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Well there's your issue...
Old 05-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #2742
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Are you driving with the pedal dance? If not, the rear brake is probably being actuated by the EBD/E-diff/VSC/whatever, resulting in a hotter rear brake than front.

While you may have cooled the front brakes enough, the rear was probably still hot when you parked. I can't think of any other logical explanation. We know 100% that the brake was hot, but the reason why, is purely speculation.
I may not have been clear enough.

This is the FRONT brakes. It's the backside pad that that had an imprint on the rotor (side opposite the wheel that you can't see). This is also with the pedal dance.

The actual rear brakes, are 100% fine.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #2743
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
I may not have been clear enough.

This is the FRONT brakes. It's the backside pad that that had an imprint on the rotor (side opposite the wheel that you can't see). This is also with the pedal dance.

The actual rear brakes, are 100% fine.
Ah, gotcha.

The inner edges of the rotors getting hotter is normal as well. The outside of the rotor has both more airflow (wheels/sides) as well as more contact area for sinking heat to the hub. It sounds like the inside pads are getting hotter than the outer pads. This is totally normal, particularly as you get more experienced. The imprint is from parking with the brakes still hot.

The cheapest fix is to add brake ducts. The long term fix is to get a BBK (or bigger BBK). This is going to save you a ton of money on pads and rotors over the long term.

For now, double your cooldown period, and do some slow laps in the pits to help keep air circulating until the brake system cools down more.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #2744
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Ah, gotcha.

The inner edges of the rotors getting hotter is normal as well. The outside of the rotor has both more airflow (wheels/sides) as well as more contact area for sinking heat to the hub. It sounds like the inside pads are getting hotter than the outer pads. This is totally normal, particularly as you get more experienced. The imprint is from parking with the brakes still hot.

The cheapest fix is to add brake ducts. The long term fix is to get a BBK (or bigger BBK). This is going to save you a ton of money on pads and rotors over the long term.

For now, double your cooldown period, and do some slow laps in the pits to help keep air circulating until the brake system cools down more.
OK. I generally try and be as careful as possible with the brakes to try and prevent this. Probably didn't do a good enough job. I'll cruise around a bit more next time. Thanks!

...still trying to fight that BBK