follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Tire performance same throughout its life?

I tried to search this online, but I could not find what I wanted. So question put simple: How long does tire keep its performance for?

For example, if I were to purchase 40-50% remaining tread Michelin PSS tires, would it perform the same with 90-95% tread tires?

Forgot to mention that it's on track condition.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
In the dry, I don't know.

In the wet though, I'd be willing to guess that because there's less space between the road surface and the deepest section of the tread you'll be more prone to hydroplane.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
I tried to search this online, but I could not find what I wanted. So question put simple: How long does tire keep its performance for?

For example, if I were to purchase 40-50% remaining tread Michelin PSS tires, would it perform the same with 90-95% tread tires?

Forgot to mention that it's on track condition.
All tires age with heat cycles. That said, some tires can take more heat cycles than others. At the same time some tires don't suffer as much degradation as others.

In terms of tread depth, some tires get harder as you get deeper on the tread so depending upon the tire, you could have a substantial loss in performance from reduced tread depth. At the same time though, less tread means less tread squirm so you can gain some performance from that.

All that is general information though and unlikely to really help you :p

I would say however that Michelin PSS tires are great street tires and fairly bad track tires. The dual compound construction is great for street use but the wet compound in the center of the tire greases out very quickly. In order to use them on track you need to run them at a lower temperature than a pyrometer would tell you to use. Unfortunately there are situations where the center of the tire can still end up having major contact and result in more slide than expected which is scary. I suspect they would be alot of fun in the rain though.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-16-2015), frslee (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
So question put simple: How long does tire keep its performance for?.

Depends on the tires

Quote:

no

this is why, when buying used tires, you should ask for massive discounts.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Chrono

Drives: '13 WSP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't say it makes much sense to get used tires on this car. The tires themselves are relatively cheap and you'll lose money every time you do an extra mount and balance because they only last half as long as new ones. If you can, just wait until the manufacturers are doing a rebate, I bought a whole set of Pilot Super Sports for $530 shipped with a $70 rebate.

"Treat all tires like they deserve to die!" -Chris Harris
Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
depends on the compound of the tires. I forget which tire it was, but I remember hearing about a tire that was like R comp once the tread got low enough.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
I wouldn't say it makes much sense to get used tires on this car. The tires themselves are relatively cheap and you'll lose money every time you do an extra mount and balance because they only last half as long as new ones. If you can, just wait until the manufacturers are doing a rebate, I bought a whole set of Pilot Super Sports for $530 shipped with a $70 rebate.
Not necessarily true, if the cost of mounting/balancing twice is less than the discount for getting tires used. If you have connections (i.e. your tire guy who will charge you $40) it's worthwhile if you don't need a tire at its peak performance.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
This doesn't mean I'm only going one direction, but rather having variety of options if any deals come by. Thank you guys for generous opinions.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No. Compromised resistance to hydroplaning in the wet with only 40-50% tread. Dry traction would probably be just fine barring other issues.

As mentioned above, it also depends on how and when it has been heat cycled. Also, it is important to know the date of manufacture of the tires. If they were manufactured in 2003, then the rubber has likely hardened and/or cracked so that they no longer perform as intended. Even a tire a few years old can have lower performance that a newly manufactured tire.

Do you have your own tire machine, or someone who will mount the tires free of charge? If so then tires with 40% tread may be fine. Otherwise, you will lose a lot of the money you save mounting and balancing the tires, and then mounting and balancing the new tires you bought to replace the used ones that only lasted 10k miles.

Finally, if these are for track use only, at least buy something like the BF Goodrich Rival, if not a full track tire.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote