follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Post Stretched FT-86 chassis to spawn next generation Lexus IS

2014 Lexus IS - New and Future Cars
Work has started on a new 4-door sedan based on the FT-86 platform.

By Sam Mitani / Photo-Illustration by Best Car

November 22, 2010

Name:  2014-lexus-is.jpg
Views: 78262
Size:  33.2 KB

Although it’s nearly a half decade away, we are hearing reports that the next-generation IS sedan will make its debut sometime in 2013. The reason, according to our sources, is that work has started on a new 4-door sedan based on the FT-86 platform. For those who are not familiar with the FT-86, it’s the concept car that made news at last year’s Tokyo Motor Show. As the spiritual successor to the old Levin AE-86, a car we called the Corolla coupe, the rear-wheel-drive FT-86 will make its debut in June 2012.

As for the Lexus IS, this car will be built atop a stretched version of the FT-86 chassis. Toyota boss Akio Toyoda is keen on spicing up Toyota’s image into one with a more powerful emphasis on sport, so we hear the next IS will look and perform sportier than the current model.

While the FT-86 sports car will be powered by Subaru’s EJ20 engine (2.0-liter flat-4), the IS will be powered by a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder and/or a 3.6-liter flat-6. The 2014 Lexus IS F will continue with a high-powered V-8 that’ll make the luxury sedan a presence on the racetrack.

via - http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/2014-lexus-is
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exotisus View Post
True, but in your pics, they're saying FT86 sedan ver. This one saying next Lexus IS gonna be stretched ft86 ver.

so in the end both articles are new news.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New gen IS will come out in 2012 as MY2013, not 2013 as MY2014. I don't think IS need FT-86 platform and they are 2 different beasts, and IS is more likely to use next gen GS platform. Lexus already has IS and GS out for testing, so if they use FT-86's platform on IS, they have to build the car from scratch. It's a waste of money on RnD. That's said, R&T article is .

Last edited by Dark; 11-30-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: refine.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
True, but in your pics, they're saying FT86 sedan ver. This one saying next Lexus IS gonna be stretched ft86 ver.

so in the end both articles are new news.
And that pic has Toyota badge. LOL
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
FT-HS

Drives: Four Wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dont quote me on this, but I think the current IS is based off a compact version of the GS, and that it was gonna be that way for the next generation as well.

Dont quote me, but i remember reading somewhere that said this
FT-HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
@Dark: The picture is only an artist's rendition AFAIK.. It's got nothing to do with anything solid from Lexus...

I can actually see this working to be honest... I'm kinda seeing it go back to the IS200/IS300/Altezza roots, which, if the new IS is made from the (enlarged) FT86 chassis, I can see how it would be a lot sportier - The current IS is hardly light, and Lexus has much larger models for when you really want a Luxury Sedan....

I say do eeet!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
New gen IS will come out in 2012 as MY2013, not 2013 as MY2014. I don't think IS need FT-86 platform and they are 2 different beasts, and IS is more likely to use next gen GS platform. Lexus already has IS and GS out for testing, so if they use FT-86's platform on IS, they have to build the car from scratch. It's a waste of money on RnD. That's said, R&T article is .
Agreed. 2013 is way too late to debut. The next GS/IS are also said to focusing towards lighter weight and sportier response, going back to being real sports sedans. Yes they have already been caught testing. GS is supposed to be getting an e-diff (like ferrari...or a 2wd version of what the Evo uses), so I don't doubt the IS or at least the ISF would get that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-HS View Post
Dont quote me on this, but I think the current IS is based off a compact version of the GS, and that it was gonna be that way for the next generation as well.

Dont quote me, but i remember reading somewhere that said this
You are correct. If the FT-86 is going to have a Lexus platform mate, it is likely to be a Z4/SLK/Boxter/TT competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
@Dark: The picture is only an artist's rendition AFAIK.. It's got nothing to do with anything solid from Lexus...

I can actually see this working to be honest... I'm kinda seeing it go back to the IS200/IS300/Altezza roots, which, if the new IS is made from the (enlarged) FT86 chassis, I can see how it would be a lot sportier - The current IS is hardly light, and Lexus has much larger models for when you really want a Luxury Sedan....

I say do eeet!

The IS needs to at least be the same size. I wouldn't like it to get bigger, but down sizing is totally out of the question. The rear seats are way too cramped, and that is the biggest complaint about it. It is a lot sportier than given credit for. The GS/IS platform has a lot of potential.

What I would like to see is a DI turbo 4 replace the 2.5 V6. Then you would have some real tuning and the IS returning to it's roots. Toyota needs to put that 3.5 V6 in a cheap 2 door so regular ppl can get around to tuning. Not enough parts are made because of the platforms this motor is typically found it.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
I think there are far better ways to get more interior room than to increase the size of the car (for example - moving the rear seats back into the boot further but having a flat-folding rear seat for when you need to carry larger things).... The last Altezza/IS weighed very little compared to the current one... I would LOVE to see the IS go back to something maybe a little heavier than the Altezza, but keep the same V8 as an engine

I know the current gen IS is a sporty car already, but I really think losing a bit of weight on it would really transform the whole car...
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
djohnson

Drives: 1996 RAV4
Has anyone at Toyota or Subaru confirmed the EJ20 powerplant over the new FB20 design? And this article makes no mention of a 2.5L for the '86. Nothing more than speculation from what I am seeing, though I am hopeful that the 2.0 will be the powerplant for USDM FT86
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I think there are far better ways to get more interior room than to increase the size of the car (for example - moving the rear seats back into the boot further but having a flat-folding rear seat for when you need to carry larger things).... The last Altezza/IS weighed very little compared to the current one... I would LOVE to see the IS go back to something maybe a little heavier than the Altezza, but keep the same V8 as an engine

I know the current gen IS is a sporty car already, but I really think losing a bit of weight on it would really transform the whole car...
I agree, But it won't help to make the car smaller. I really don't think you grasp how tiny the FT is. It is smaller than an Audi TT. Making the trunk smaller makes it less competitive in it's segment too, and changing all these proportions would have serious consequences in the aesthetic design. I'm not saying the next IS needs to be bigger, I'm just saying that it has to not get smaller, while possibly being the same weight or lighter.

Trust me, I don't think there was anyone more disappointed than me that the IS gained 200-400lbs from Gen1- Gen2.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I can see a position internationally for a smaller, sportier Lexus sedan, maybe to compete with the 1 Series.

Personally, I would be very intrigued by this idea.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
2014 Lexus IS - New and Future Cars
Work has started on a new 4-door sedan based on the FT-86 platform.

By Sam Mitani / Photo-Illustration by Best Car

November 22, 2010
To me that kind of looks more like the nexy gen camry than the IS look at the headlights the bonnet angle all camryesque also especially the wheels and the mirrors and that toyota badge helps a little
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
^^thats the CT 200h first drive. did you get the link confused with something else????
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I can see a position internationally for a smaller, sportier Lexus sedan, maybe to compete with the 1 Series.

Personally, I would be very intrigued by this idea.

Ew no.

The 1 series is totally pointless and a Lexus 1-series would be even more....

pointless...

er.