follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Comfort for everyday use... Are you pleased ?

I'm seeking your advice and experience with these cars when it comes to everyday use and comfort.. Would like to know what you think about the Twins after having owned one for some time now... Is it comfortable for your daily use? Is the ride too hard or harsh? Seats comfy? Good visibility?
Trying to get some real world answers from buyers and not a quick test drive opinion from some reviewer...
I really like the car... Just want to be sure it's more than just fun...
Thanks in advance
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've been daily driving mine since the end of last May, so almost a year now.

I'm very pleased with it. It's got pretty good visibility for what it is, and the ride isn't overly harsh, particularly on the stock tires. It's not going to be highway-sofa comfy, but you sort of expect a somewhat stiff suspension from a sports car. That said, it won't beat you up.

The seats are great - if you fit them. I do, but they're tailored to a pretty specific body size and you may find the bolstering uncomfortable if you're not in that size range.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Coming from an IS350, kind of a shock. Driving my wife's RX400h feels like driving a cloud from a recliner.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
theredtape

Drives: civic,vfr,BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
I'm seeking your advice and experience with these cars when it comes to everyday use and comfort.. Would like to know what you think about the Twins after having owned one for some time now... Is it comfortable for your daily use? Is the ride too hard or harsh? Seats comfy? Good visibility?
Trying to get some real world answers from buyers and not a quick test drive opinion from some reviewer...
Thanks in advance
The ride is not good on rough roads, the car is small and difficult to get out of specifically if 6' or taller, the rear seats are useless for passengers.

That said I wouldn't trade it for anything at this point. I love my car. The back seats make great storage for backpacks, and they are deep enough that stuff doesn't roll around back there. Forward visibility is great and with the exception of the b pillar blind spot rear visibility is good. The front seats on my brz are comfy, I have done 2.5 hour drives without any problems.

Its a sports car, you have to take the good with the bad. Its a trade off between handling and comfort. Its worth it.
ftc~brz (04-12-2013), Mikem53 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In my highly biased opinion this car is am amazing daily driver. I commute a lot from orange county to Los Angeles so needless to say a lot of highway driving. It's still comfortable. It's low to the ground with stiff suspension so you do feel the road. However to me this makes driving a pleasure. Not just going from a to b complaining about traffic. The seats are great but if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving I would invest in a 20 dollar lower lumbar support pillow.
bdanisi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdanisi For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got my FR-S in July. The seats and the ride are still very comfy. But I find that there are a few cons: the blind spot is hard to see (but that might be because I'm not used to driving coupes), getting in and out of the car feels really awkward if you're not used to low cars, and the automatic door windows when you open/close the car doors are a pain to deal with in icy weather.

But overall, I'd still highly recommend this car. It's at a great price point, and it really is a lot of fun.
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to i_4got For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Comparing to my Altima Coupe, the BRZ
- has really comfy body hugging seats.
- quite good visibility that i did not expect from a little car like this.
- but the ride is rough in comparison. Any little imperfection on the road i could feel it.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I commute 35 minutes one way every day in my FRS and it's not bad. Ride quality on stock suspension and tires is surprisingly nice. I'd put it on par with a new Honda Civic, which is damn good for a sports car. It's my daily driver and I don't really have any complaints.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Driving through the Pothole Capital of Ohio (aka Cleveland), I can tell you you watch very closely for potholes and other damaged pieces of road, and it takes a bit of creative driving to avoid. Granted, that hightened awareness may just be because the car is still new to me. Watching for other drivers is necessary, as it is a small car and hides in the blind spots of other cars.

As a DD, the comfort is good, though you do feel bumps. I don't regret making this my DD.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
jstans84
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Thanks in advance
After almost 14k miles I can say I still love it and find it very comfortable.
jstans84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have had mine for 2 months now and already have 5250 miles. Like others have said, it is sports car so the ride will be rougher than something like a Lexus for sure, but it is not uncomfortable. I am on RCE Yellow springs and the car rides better than stock. The seats are very comfortable for longer duration commute. About the visibility, the only issue I can forsee is over your left shoulder, but with proper mirror placement this should be a non issue.

I do not regret getting this for my DD. It is functional for what I need it to be, but mostly it is FUN to drive.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Watching for other drivers is necessary, as it is a small car and hides in the blind spots of other cars.
Thanks for mentioning that - it's definitely something you'll need to do. Larger vehicles like SUVs will have a hard time seeing you. I've often had to lay on the horn and/or take evasive action to avoid vehicles that didn't see me and either tried to come over into my lane or pulled out in front of me.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVJ1975 View Post
Thanks for mentioning that - it's definitely something you'll need to do. Larger vehicles like SUVs will have a hard time seeing you. I've often had to lay on the horn and/or take evasive action to avoid vehicles that didn't see me and either tried to come over into my lane or pulled out in front of me.
That. It's also invisible in parking lots, you won't see your car until you walk right next to your spot.

As for the comfort I love it. To me a stiff ride with minimal chassis noise = quality. I associate a comfort and noisy ride with my mom's 93 buick regal...I never drove anything that un-inspiring, ever!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Regarding the blind spot(s). I put a small swiveling mirror on the backlight. I mounted it using the supplied sticky-back up in the blacked-out area on top. It gives me a wide angle view out the back into areas that you can't see when just looking straight back out the window. This includes quite a bit of the ground where there might be a bicycle or other small object. It cost $6.99 and can be adjusted out of the way if someone sits back there. It is not a perfect solution, but it is an improvement, and does not appear in the rear view mirror.
Attached Images

FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote