follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I've done autocross (not in the FR-S, granted), so I know what you mean, I was referring to more of the sanctioned events on tracks.

Again, its possible I misread. It seemed like the were encouraging owners to race on a closed course track.
They're not trying to get new people off the street to go to the track. They're trying to get the people who are at the track anyway to give them some ad space in exchange for a little money if they win. If you're going to be there anyway, why not put a sticker on your car in the off chance of winning pays for your hotel.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Have you ever even seen an autocross? You have to do something extremely idiotic to do anything to your car besides hit a traffic cone.

Besides, these contingencies aren't intended for you to make a living off of. They are basically just paying for advertisements. If do well in a competition, and you let everyone know you use part X, you get a kickback.
have YOU ever seen an autocross?

there is always something to hit, all it takes is a freak accident.

plus there are mechanical problems.

My problem with scion's contingency is

"Go, race, be happy and free"

"my transmission blew after 10 hard launches"

"tough luck brah, that will be 5 grand for a new one, would you like lubrication with that?"

I would MUCH rather Scion offer an extended service plan for racers. Provide proof that you participate in a race series and get FAIRLY PRICED parts and service.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
low trq

Drives: 2013 Honda Fit sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

"tough luck brah, that will be 5 grand for a new one, would you like lubrication with that?"

I would MUCH rather Scion offer an extended service plan for racers. Provide proof that you participate in a race series and get FAIRLY PRICED parts and service.
I raced (auto X mostly) for two straight years in my RSX type-S. Not one problem, ding, issue, failure, nothing.

I didn't get paid one cent from anyone and a contingency program would have been kinda cool had I known of one.
low trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

If a course is laid out per the course design guidelines the potential to hit something is basically eliminated unless you are a real idiot.

I believe there are insurers that provide this type of race car insurance service out there, though with Autocross I've never seen the need to have one, and I'm sure it's extremely expensive.

Toyota, through TRD, used to offer discounted parts to motorsport competitors. I used to be signed up for it when I used to race a Toyota MR2.

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/gara...%20Program.pdf

Scroll down to the 6th page.
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
If a course is laid out per the course design guidelines the potential to hit something is basically eliminated unless you are a real idiot.

I believe there are insurers that provide this type of race car insurance service out there, though with Autocross I've never seen the need to have one, and I'm sure it's extremely expensive.

Toyota, through TRD, used to offer discounted parts to motorsport competitors. I used to be signed up for it when I used to race a Toyota MR2.

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/gara...%20Program.pdf

Scroll down to the 6th page.
course designers try their best not to make a mistake

but mistakes happen

my last autocross there was a complex kink built in, everyone was flying perfectly fine and then out of the blue this one car didn't quite navigate it correctly and ended up spinning and stopping inches away from the curb

stuff happens, period.

if anyone's raced for X period of time with zero accidents, you're either slow or have Fortuna herself on your shoulder. Statistics will always get you. So far i've spun out quite a few times (at the track, never at autocross) and walked away with no damage, but i was lucky, lucky lucky lucky, once the car hits the grass there is no skill involved, then you pray.

stuff happens, period.
Tt3Sheppard (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
low trq

Quote:
course designers try their best not to make a mistake

but mistakes happen

my last autocross there was a complex kink built in, everyone was flying perfectly fine and then out of the blue this one car didn't quite navigate it correctly and ended up spinning and stopping inches away from the curb

stuff happens, period.

if anyone's raced for X period of time with zero accidents, you're either slow or have Fortuna herself on your shoulder. Statistics will always get you. So far i've spun out quite a few times (at the track, never at autocross) and walked away with no damage, but i was lucky, lucky lucky lucky, once the car hits the grass there is no skill involved, then you pray.

stuff happens, period.
ummm, what? I never said I never spun out. I never said I never hit a cone. I never said I never went off course.

I simply never did any damage to my car, on the inside or out. Just my ego.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
grodenglaive

Drives: asphalt FR-S
Garage
Quote:
if anyone's raced for X period of time with zero accidents, you're either slow or have Fortuna herself on your shoulder. Statistics will always get you.
That's a little melodramatic if you're just talking about autocross. I'm sure it depends a lot on the venue, but I've been autocrossing regularly for 6 years and have seen two accidents (both times someone driving a car they weren't familiar with). That's, on average, 100 cars per event x 10 events per season x 6 seasons = 6,000 cars.
So that's an accident rate of 1 in 3,000 cars. Hardly an alarming statistic.
grodenglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So... I just wanted clarification. If you go to these kind of events and something breaks, warranty won't cover it? Part of me can understand that, but another part does not. If the car has not been modified and is running in stock form, then why should it not be covered by warranty. Then again, perhaps I didn't see the fine print. There might be something out there that says if you drive your car harder than it was intended to, then warranty will not cover anything.

On a side note, when it comes to driving this car (BRZ/FR-S), they really should quit showing commercials of it 'drifting'. I foresee a lot of people who take their car drifting, something breaks while they're drifting, and it does not get covered by warranty.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
low trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
So... I just wanted clarification. If you go to these kind of events and something breaks, warranty won't cover it? Part of me can understand that, but another part does not. If the car has not been modified and is running in stock form, then why should it not be covered by warranty. Then again, perhaps I didn't see the fine print. There might be something out there that says if you drive your car harder than it was intended to, then warranty will not cover anything.

On a side note, when it comes to driving this car (BRZ/FR-S), they really should quit showing commercials of it 'drifting'. I foresee a lot of people who take their car drifting, something breaks while they're drifting, and it does not get covered by warranty.
Warranty wont cover off road use or even abuse under any car manufacturer.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #24
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post

To your first question... Specifically Subaru warranties are voided for competing in "timed competitive events".

I think it's comical how they advertise as well... they say they put the sport back in sports car, show the car drifting, show the STi rallying around on "a closed course with a professional driver" but when you take your vehicle to a closed course as a professional or amateur driver "oh, the car isnt meant for that"... If someone had the drive, the dollars, and the reason to attack toyota and subaru for this type of false advertising and were hell bent on getting a result, I could see a VERY reasonable class action lawsuit for falsely advertising the vehicle... particularly if say the diff issue Sam had were to be more than a case of a bad part or batch of parts and truely wasnt designed for taking the level of usage sam was doing. but now I am WAAAAAY off topic.

/digression
Old 10-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Quote:

stuff happens, period.
I can't disagree... but stuff happens driving down the highway, in neighborhoods, in parking lots at the mall too.

If you don't have the means to fix it or alternative transportation, you probably shouldn't race it.

and to your point... I've been doing it for 7 years at a national level, I finished this season second in points in NWOR region pro-class, 2nd on overall index, and 3rd in pro class points in detroit region for the season and trophied at nationals in ASP. I wouldn't consider myself slow, I've spun countless times and made plenty of mistakes as I compete and try to improve myself. ASP is one of THE FASTEST fendered classes you can drive in and I have never once been in a situation I'd call unsafe.

Last edited by Sccabrz192; 10-19-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Included the rest of the quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sccabrz192 For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (10-23-2012), low trq (10-19-2012)