follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Haha. Nice to know some folks are interested. I'll keep you guys updated. Don't wanna sell until I test and tweak it a few times. I already have some adjustments I need to make to ensure a better fit.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply, folks! It's a busy life.

Sanding APLA+ (the material this mount was made of) is a HUGE PITA, so I'm not sure how I am going to finish the pieces yet. They wont be made of APLA+, though, so I don't know how I'll be finishing it until I get that sorted, but I'm hoping for some sort of reasonable finish. We shall see!
Yeah, it's a PITA and it's nearly impossible to get an acceptable finish. My risers are printed using SLA 3D printing, so the resolution is high and print lines are extremely minimal. With 400 grit they wet sand to a perfectly smooth surface. This image demonstrates the difference pretty well

Out of the printer they're white-ish, but can be easily painted black. I might be able to manufacture these for you if you're interested!
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #17
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Brilliant. Sub’d for updates.
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #18
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
@Stang70Fastback any updates to this project?
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #19
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
really cool idea and way to go on taking the initiative!

funny, how I just bought 2 phone mounts from target this weekend and the suction cup one like yours does wobble a bit. the one for the air vent above the radio was a no go as the mount arms/teeth that go into the vent were just not long enough. and even if they were long enough my phone would then block the radio screen
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #20
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
US patent office is where you need to go...

Quote:
I wonder how hard that is. I'll look into it once I finalize the design!
Hello. Yes, this is my first post on this board, and I created the account because I am looking at buying a '19 BRZ, but I also saw your question about establishing a patent on your phone mount.

Actually, establishing a patent is not hard at all. >> DO NOT use that company on (late night) TV that says they will help you create a patent.

You can create you own patent. Go to the US Patent Office [https://www.uspto.gov/] website and follow the appropriate links to getting started.

From what I understand, you can file for a provisional patent on your design and you have up to 1 year to finalize/complete your invention. By filing for a provisional patent, you keep your idea safe from others copying it (legally) while you finalize it.

That is all of the knowledge I have on this subject as I have not filed a patent myself.

So, if you want to take this mount further, I would start the process sooner rather than later as you very well know the world of 3D printing is allowing development of "things" can happen faster than in the past.

Good luck and best wishes.
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #21
Ryguystye

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Haha. Nice to know some folks are interested. I'll keep you guys updated. Don't wanna sell until I test and tweak it a few times. I already have some adjustments I need to make to ensure a better fit.
Any updates?
Ryguystye is offline   Reply With Quote