follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opinion on Kit

So I have the Ultimate Racing kit and love it.

I am currently running 8-9 psi/ boost.

Looking at the kit, I am wondering if one of the engineer types could comment on the design and possible boost limit.

Or does someone know anyone with this kit who is an expert and not softcore car knowledge like me?

I'm wanting to throw in a bigger spring, but assuming that's a bad idea.

I have the gt3076r option with it recirculating as opposed to atmosphere dump.

I'm asking because of gt3076r mostly. Being a bigger better turbo than the stock option should I be able to raise the boost safely or is 8-9 the safest place?

Tuned by HRI atm and doing great.

All mature responses appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
sid94

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Opinion on Kit

Use ebcs to bring up boost. And talk with James see what he thinks is considered “safe” for your application. it should be able to make more boost but can you engine handle it? Also what about your fuel system? Bigger injectors bigger pump a quick revision of the tune and more power. Brining up boost isn’t the only way to up your power
sid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Have you talked to James?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Have you talked to James?
Briefly. I told him what I wanted and where I was at (8lbs spring).

He 100% said NOT to use EBCS. I actually had a pillar and 3 gauges (one being the EBCS). I just sold the EBCS because James said it's pointless with these boost levels, and I agree/trust that suggestion. Also it came with a 4bar map sensor when my application only calls for 2bar.

Mainly just wondering if 10-13 lbs of boost would be possible without destroying my engine in 5k miles or less. Mostly curious at this time.

I will ask James what he thinks. He is helping me check some logs right now, so I guess it's a good time to bug him about this too.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Briefly. I told him what I wanted and where I was at (8lbs spring).

He 100% said NOT to use EBCS. I actually had a pillar and 3 gauges (one being the EBCS). I just sold the EBCS because James said it's pointless with these boost levels, and I agree/trust that suggestion. Also it came with a 4bar map sensor when my application only calls for 2bar.

Mainly just wondering if 10-13 lbs of boost would be possible without destroying my engine in 5k miles or less. Mostly curious at this time.

I will ask James what he thinks. He is helping me check some logs right now, so I guess it's a good time to bug him about this too.

Thanks for the responses so far.
More boost, more risk.

The reason, I would speculate, he told you no EBCS, is that the EBCS adds a point of potential failure. If the EBCS fails you will overboost to the max the turbo can push, and, that's essentially a guaranteed kaboom, unless he builds in failsafes against overboost (totally possible).

It's also why I use a smaller turbo that matches my goals. I physically cannot overboost. I run 10.5psi that sees a peak spike of 12.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Grady (06-08-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
More boost, more risk.

The reason, I would speculate, he told you no EBCS, is that the EBCS adds a point of potential failure. If the EBCS fails you will overboost to the max the turbo can push, and, that's essentially a guaranteed kaboom, unless he builds in failsafes against overboost (totally possible).

It's also why I use a smaller turbo that matches my goals. I physically cannot overboost. I run 10.5psi that sees a peak spike of 12.
I am currently at 8lbs. I'm mostly curious about raising the boost safely. All my internet knowledge and reading is making me curious, haha.

I understand there are more ways than just raising boost to get power, but it sounds like the cheapest, easiest way is raising the boost. That was why I am focusing on boost. I didn't want to buy upgrades yet, but I do have a spring kit /evilgrin.

I may upgrade the injectors, fuel pump and the like at some point, but Idk that it's necessary yet as I should be below 300whp with the kit. The only other person I found with this kit and the gt3076r is pushing 290whp with his tune. I believe he was on 8lbs also.

Keeping my engine alive is most important, which is also why I'm asking. If 8lbs is safest with my setup, then 8lbs is perfectly fine, but if I can go higher, then I might want to play with it, just cause.

Sorry if I sound like every other car newb, etc., but knowledge is power and I'm trying to get powerful, :P.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
CSG Mike

I wouldn't recommend going any higher unless you're running ethanol.

Just going ethanol will give you an immense power gain without boost.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am currently at 8lbs. I'm mostly curious about raising the boost safely. All my internet knowledge and reading is making me curious, haha.

I understand there are more ways than just raising boost to get power, but it sounds like the cheapest, easiest way is raising the boost. That was why I am focusing on boost. I didn't want to buy upgrades yet, but I do have a spring kit /evilgrin.

I may upgrade the injectors, fuel pump and the like at some point, but Idk that it's necessary yet as I should be below 300whp with the kit. The only other person I found with this kit and the gt3076r is pushing 290whp with his tune. I believe he was on 8lbs also.

Keeping my engine alive is most important, which is also why I'm asking. If 8lbs is safest with my setup, then 8lbs is perfectly fine, but if I can go higher, then I might want to play with it, just cause.

Sorry if I sound like every other car newb, etc., but knowledge is power and I'm trying to get powerful, :P.
Injectors and fuel pump are not necessary below 300whp. You've got to realize there is no set in stone amount of boost that will grenade your engine. Safe boost? I would say around 8-10lbs, but that is no guarantee. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
Injectors and fuel pump are not necessary below 300whp. You've got to realize there is no set in stone amount of boost that will grenade your engine. Safe boost? I would say around 8-10lbs, but that is no guarantee. Your mileage may vary.
Right, but that's why I was asking for someone to look at the kit. It's not your usual sandwiched between engine and radiator design. And I hadn't considered I didn't get the stock turbo, but an upgraded turbo.

I discussed with my tuner, he kinda said the same as everyone else, which I guess I expected. I was kinda hoping with the bigger better turbo charger there may be more room for a pound or two of boost, but safely.

I kept stock fuel pump and injectors because I did read many times that under 300 stock is fine, but I was sure ready to buy them, haha. Research, and helpful forums...help!

Thanks for the response.

ps. tuners twin is at 22lbs on stock (but not a daily).
Old 06-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a smaller turbo which had peak efficiency at about 12psi but we could run to 14psi and get more power at the expense of higher intake temps.

- on e85 made 241 rwkW @ 14psi
- on 98 Octatane made 210 rwkW @14psi

I have 4 bent rods to prove it.

We used the boost control functionality of the Motec ECU with a electronic boost control to get a pretty linear throttle response where boost level was a function of throttle position. It felt like a NA car without a crazy 'on-boost' spike in power.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hags86 For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (06-09-2018), tyler_win_photo (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Right, but that's why I was asking for someone to look at the kit. It's not your usual sandwiched between engine and radiator design. And I hadn't considered I didn't get the stock turbo, but an upgraded turbo.

I discussed with my tuner, he kinda said the same as everyone else, which I guess I expected. I was kinda hoping with the bigger better turbo charger there may be more room for a pound or two of boost, but safely.

I kept stock fuel pump and injectors because I did read many times that under 300 stock is fine, but I was sure ready to buy them, haha. Research, and helpful forums...help!

Thanks for the response.

ps. tuners twin is at 22lbs on stock (but not a daily).
With a bigger (better) turbo you may make more power per psi of boost at the cost of response, but it does not allow you to necessarily push more psi of boost than is normally considered safe (8-9psi). I see you live in Cali, so you must be running 91 octane.. with the high compression of our engines combined with boost you will be octane limited at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of how much boost you can run. If you have easy access to e85, that would be the safest route to get more power out of your car.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
With a bigger (better) turbo you may make more power per psi of boost at the cost of response, but it does not allow you to necessarily push more psi of boost than is normally considered safe (8-9psi). I see you live in Cali, so you must be running 91 octane.. with the high compression of our engines combined with boost you will be octane limited at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of how much boost you can run. If you have easy access to e85, that would be the safest route to get more power out of your car.
Ya I was afraid of the 91 coming into to play to prevent higher boost even more so, haha. I'll stick with 8 for now as there is no issue with it at all, was just curious to know what the odds might be to up a little for the fun of it (fun until I blow the engine up, lol).

Thanks everyone for the insight/info/posts, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk