follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 10-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #267
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmaeljx View Post
Well, after three weeks of waiting, Edelbrock finally finished the tune for 2015s and I was able to pick my car back up. Very satisfied so far. The power increase is perfect.

Here are the dyno numbers:

Any info on why there's a big torque slump above 5k? It seems to start recovering after 7k.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #268
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, after three weeks of waiting, Edelbrock finally finished the tune for 2015s and I was able to pick my car back up. Very satisfied so far. The power increase is perfect.

Here are the dyno numbers:
That tune needs some MAJOR work. I would not be happy with that.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #269
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Any info on why there's a big torque slump above 5k? It seems to start recovering after 7k.

I was assuming it's the CARB tune provided?

Subtle clutch slip or knock retard?

Is this an otherwise stock car?
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #270
ishmaeljx

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
I was assuming it's the CARB tune provided?

Subtle clutch slip or knock retard?

Is this an otherwise stock car?
Yes, this was the Edelbrock supplied tune. Other than the TRD components I have installed on the car (catback / wheels / springs / etc) it is stock.

I will try and check with the shop and Edelbrock to see if they have any comment.
ishmaeljx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #271
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks for posting the dyno, all great data to have!

Back to the emissions question I had about the pending status...
I called Edelbrock and was told the cars are currently in the official testing program and are expected to be done in the next few months, at which point the EO would be assigned. The guy I spoke with said he would be surprised if it did not pass as he has yet to see one fail which they have submitted.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-29-2015), NotSoJDM (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #272
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
So did they have your car specifically for developing their tune for MY2015? Is it finalized or are they still planning on continuing to refine the tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Curious about this as well. Just comparing this to the Delicious CARB run, torque does start dropping off slightly around the same rev range (after 5.5k) but no where near as much. Are the 2013's and 2015's that different?

BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #273
ishmaeljx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
So did they have your car specifically for developing their tune for MY2015? Is it finalized or are they still planning on continuing to refine the tune?

Curious about this as well. Just comparing this to the Delicious CARB run, torque does start dropping off slightly around the same rev range (after 5.5k) but no where near as much. Are the 2013's and 2015's that different?

It is my understanding that this should have been the finalized tune, not an intermediate one. They offered to send an intermediate one a couple weeks ago, but I elected to wait until the finalized one came out.

My car was not the one they had in house to specifically develop the 2015 tune, but it is my understanding that I am the second 2015 vehicle to be installed.

I also just got off the phone w/Edelbrock and have sent them a copy of the dyno chart and they indicated they would consult with their calibration folks to get their thoughts.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what they say.
The Following User Says Thank You to ishmaeljx For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #274
JohnnyP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but does the Grimmspeed Strut Tower brace fit with this kit? if not, do any of the strut tower braces fit?
I do know that my Whiteline strut brace had to be removed as it did not fit, and from what I've seen it appears highly unlikely that any strut brace would fit.
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #275
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but does the Grimmspeed Strut Tower brace fit with this kit? if not, do any of the strut tower braces fit?
I believe in the instructions it mentions having to remove the hood insulator padding because there is so little room above the manifold that it may touch and rub. So, unless the strut brace wraps around the engine, I think there is very little chance of actually finding one that fits.

Quote:
I also just got off the phone w/Edelbrock and have sent them a copy of the dyno chart and they indicated they would consult with their calibration folks to get their thoughts.

I'll be sure to let everyone know what they say.
I take back my original statement. Looking back at both plots, it looks like they are actually pretty close (just looking at deltas to account for differences between dynos). Keep us posted either way.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #276
ishmaeljx

Quote:
I take back my original statement. Looking back at both plots, it looks like they are actually pretty close (just looking at deltas to account for differences between dynos). Keep us posted either way.
So I've spoken with Edelbrock several times yesterday evening and this morning and they don't believe there are any issues (and they've been super responsive to all my questions). They indicated that if through continued driving I noticed anything out of the ordinary, we could work together to set up some datalogging to help diagnose.

I haven't had a chance to drive it a whole since picking it Wednesday, but so far I'm not noticing any problems or issues, and it is a real blast to drive now.

Weather permitting, I hope to be able to take it out for a long drive through some back roads near where I live this weekend to see how it behaves.

Finally, Edelbrock also indicated that if anyone has questions or concerns, they are more than happy to review with them personally: just call their tech line and ask for E-Force Eddie, and he would answer any questions or concerns anyone has.
The Following User Says Thank You to ishmaeljx For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #277
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I believe in the instructions it mentions having to remove the hood insulator padding because there is so little room above the manifold that it may touch and rub. So, unless the strut brace wraps around the engine, I think there is very little chance of actually finding one that fits.

That's correct. The insulation for the hood had to be pulled. Unless there is a strut bace specifically made to go around the unit, I don't see how it's possible for any of them to go over top of it.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-01-2016)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #278
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:

It's possible that the difference in curve could just be vehicle specific. We've found little difference in power made between 2013-2016 vehicles of various kits. That being said, some cars just don't like to extra power and need to run less timing to stay happy. That could be the case with the top end of that 2015 graph.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #279
ishmaeljx

Also, to follow-up alittle more, here is a screencap of a separate dyno pull that I was able to snag from a video my shop just provided me.

To my untrained eyes, the torque curve doesn't appear to dip a much as from the other chart I posted and more closely resembles what had been previously posted?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #280
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, to follow-up alittle more, here is a screencap of a separate dyno pull that I was able to snag from a video my shop just provided me.

To my untrained eyes, the torque curve doesn't appear to dip a much as from the other chart I posted and more closely resembles what had been previously posted?

It appears to be not as much because the y axis has been squashed.