follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
stonenewt

Drives: BMW 120d
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Use the physical key inside the key fob. There's a keyhole in the trunk lid.
Some people simply get a little indentation where the key hole could be

At least it's not like a F20 5 door 1er where the battery is in the boot & the boot catches without power but the release is purely electronic in operation... as well as the rear doors! With the 3 door 1er & the 2er at least with the foldable front seats you can easily (I use this term loosely) drop the seats down. With the 5 door the front seats don't fold forwards. You else you'd
stonenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #16
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonenewt View Post

At least it's not like a F20 5 door 1er where the battery is in the boot & the boot catches without power but the release is purely electronic in operation... as well as the rear doors! With the 3 door 1er & the 2er at least with the foldable front seats you can easily (I use this term loosely) drop the seats down. With the 5 door the front seats don't fold forwards. You else you'd
There should be an emergency release in the BMW. In my 5 Series, it's behind a trim panel. The catch and release for my 5 Series is electric. This was before the mandated glow in the dark handles.

Even pickup truck storage compartments are required to have the handles in the US.

ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #17
stonenewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
There should be an emergency release in the BMW. In my 5 Series, it's behind a trim panel. The catch and release for my 5 Series is electric. This was before the mandated glow in the dark handles.

Even pickup truck storage compartments are required to have the handles in the US.
There there's no mention of it in the owners manual.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #18
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'd like to see a pic of that.

I'm pretty sure all the US cars have a keyhole. I can't imagine why a car manufacturer would not provide a mechanical way to unlock the trunk.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #19
Die$eL

Drives: Toyota MR2 Spyder Turbo
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Were you posting from inside the trunk???

Old 09-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #20
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Quote:
There there's no mention of it in the owners manual.
I was referring to the emergency release handle to prevent from getting locked inside the trunk. But it does seem the 1-Series has an issue that is a pain to get around - but you can get around it. To get in to the trunk with a dead battery, you can jump the car from the engine compartment to get enough juice to open the trunk (don't need to actually start the car).

See pics on the first page of this thread for glow in the dark manual release handle:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582171

My E39 is a wagon, so getting in to the trunk is a no brainer - though with my cargo cover in place, I still needed to fold the rear seats and crawl under the cargo cover with a flashlight to reach the manual release behind a trim panel. I felt quite silly closing the trunk with the battery disconnected. (the wagons don't have keyholes in the trunk bc wagon)
Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
stonenewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
I was referring to the emergency release handle to prevent from getting locked inside the trunk. But it does seem the 1-Series has an issue that is a pain to get around - but you can get around it. To get in to the trunk with a dead battery, you can jump the car from the engine compartment to get enough juice to open the trunk (don't need to actually start the car).
Yeah, it's getting into the boot that's the issue in the 5dr. Once there it's trivial to open. The exact issue was someone had coded out the timeout for the car to auto sleep and left the seat heaters on. Problem is the car is at the bottom of the garden & the electrical stuff is 55m away in the house. I just happened to be in an idilic little cottage in the middle of no where.

Once the boot was open it was a matter of 25 min before the battery was charged enough to start the car.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Quote:
Yeah, it's getting into the boot that's the issue in the 5dr. Once there it's trivial to open. The exact issue was someone had coded out the timeout for the car to auto sleep and left the seat heaters on. Problem is the car is at the bottom of the garden & the electrical stuff is 55m away in the house. I just happened to be in an idilic little cottage in the middle of no where.

Once the boot was open it was a matter of 25 min before the battery was charged enough to start the car.
But you can charge the battery from under the hood using the positive lead extension terminal in the engine compartment. And you just need enough juice to power up the trunk release switch. After that you can hook a charger directly up to the battery in the trunk. I agree though, it's stupid not to be able to access the battery in the BMW without some power going to the vehicle.