follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #43
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Any of you guys upgraded your Reference System with the new 4" front midrange, rear SL 4" speakers, and amp retune? I'm very happy with my current Reference set up with the front tweeters, 6.5" woofers and sub but was wondering if the addition of the midrange and rear speakers would make a noticeable difference.
Hmm I didn't know there was an upgrade available. Was it announced anywhere?

Edit: Found the peripherals on the site. $400 for fronts and rears hmm
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads

Last edited by l0aded; 03-24-2016 at 11:02 PM.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #44
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Looks like I may have lucked out... there's a local guy that's willing to let me listen to his system. I hope the system is as good as all the testimonials.

please let us know after you hear it!
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #45
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Still waiting on my order from March 3rd, seems they have a little backlog of work. I was told to expect a delivery of mid April from an email I received last week.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #46
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Still waiting on my order from March 3rd, seems they have a little backlog of work. I was told to expect a delivery of mid April from an email I received last week.
@oemaudioplus. Shit if I come visit I may have to help with some of that backlog
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #47
czechm8

Drives: Series 10 Fr-s #520
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm interested too in opinions on whether the 4" upgrade up front and the 3-way tune is worth the $$.
You can just drop in the upgraded drivers in the dash, but seems a bit pointless unless you also take advantage of their no-charge re-tune.
$200 seems a bit pricey for this upgrade unless there is a big upgrade in performance.
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #48
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechm8 View Post
I'm interested too in opinions on whether the 4" upgrade up front and the 3-way tune is worth the $$.
You can just drop in the upgraded drivers in the dash, but seems a bit pointless unless you also take advantage of their no-charge re-tune.
$200 seems a bit pricey for this upgrade unless there is a big upgrade in performance.
I asked for this a while back as well as another user. Haven't received a response from OEM+ yet.

Would like to see some sort of hard data (audio spectrum or something) to validate whether adding mid-range speakers and a tune will really make a difference.

But if there is a difference, then i'm in!
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #49
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Going from a 2 way to a 3 way isn't something that is going to be easy to show with a graph. The difference is really in having the midrange frequencies come from dash height rather than in the doors, if tuned properly this will help the car image better.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #50
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Garage
^ agreed.

For the rears I'm not convinced though. Decided to go with just the front 4"s. From reading around on different audio forums, the rear speakers are not necessary and will only "fill in" whatever is missing or give a slightly different depth to the stage. The general consensus is spend your time and money on the fronts. For our cars especially I don't think the rears are necessary.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #51
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
^ agreed.

For the rears I'm not convinced though. Decided to go with just the front 4"s. From reading around on different audio forums, the rear speakers are not necessary and will only "fill in" whatever is missing or give a slightly different depth to the stage. The general consensus is spend your time and money on the fronts. For our cars especially I don't think the rears are necessary.

would love to hear more input from other members or OEMAUDIO about this!
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #52
czechm8

Drives: Series 10 Fr-s #520
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
^ agreed.

Correct. I'm not focused on the rears at all. It's kind of a personal preference thing.......I prefer a sound stage directly in front of me in any vehicle system. The only time I use rears is if I have passengers, or for a video system.

Setting up a true three-way front stage can be tricky, especially if you are running an "active" system, and requires much tuning.
I am banking on the fact that OEM does their homework with the tuning on their 3-way tune for these cars. I mean, really, that engineering part is the hardest part to get right. Any monkey can throw drivers and amps in a car and call it good.

I'm just trying to decide if the increase in SQ/Staging with adding the 4" fronts and the tune is worth the cost.
In theory, if done right, the 3-way tune and updated drivers should lift the focal point of your sound stage significantly.
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #53
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
May b a while. All the orders are backed up bc their shipment of OEM connectors from Toyota got delayed. So blame toyota
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #54
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Agreed on tuning being the key thing here. A well tuned 2 way sounds better than a poorly tuned 3 way. That said, there are huge advantages to having the midrange on the dash. Keep in mind, some of the current best sounding cars I am aware of use a 2 way plus sub, all with 5.25" midrange and tweeters above the dash, and a single sub up front. And even the ones that have 3 ways that are competitive with those cars, use 4" midrange above the dash.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #55
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Garage
Are the install instructions the same for right hand drive? Or every time it mentions "the drivers side" should I be doing these procedures on the passenger side (ie, the left).

*it's sitting in the box in the garage - Help!!*

Last edited by softgrip; 04-01-2016 at 06:42 AM.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #56
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
I bought the OEM+ Reference system with the free rear speaker upgrades (preorder). Just been told it will arrive in less than 3 weeks. Can't wait to install it and hear the difference.

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer