follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
SARD Racing Japan seat cover install & review

Hey Guys,

As promised, I ordered the SARD Racing Japan seat covers from Nigel-JDMParts and told you guys I'd be the guinea pig and try them out without finding any additional info online. But I finally received and found the time to install them along with photos and some impressions of the SARD Racing Japan seat covers.

A few quick things about the covers:

- They come in 3 colors:
1. Black with red stitching (the ones I got)
2. All red
3. Black with blue inserts.
- They are made of PVC Leather, which is reflected in the prices.
- They cover both the front and rear seats
- Special stitching for areas around air bag deployment so they are safe for stock seat airbags
- They go over the existing seats and covers. No removal of stock seat fabric at all.

So firstly I received them in a fairly large SARD box. They came with the following pieces for a total of 9 pieces + instruction booklet + hooks.

2x headrest
2x front seat reclining section
2x front seat bottom section
2x rear seat bottom section
1x rear seat back.

From first impressions the leather feels very strong and durable. The stitching is of good quality and there is also a tiny bit of additional cushioning behind the covers which aid to conform and add comfort when sitting in them.

First, I tackled the driver seat. The front seats compose of 3 pieces each. The headrest wraps around very easily and conforms nicely. The upper section of the seat goes over top like a poncho and zips up. They have cuts for the seat belt holders to slide through. I had troubles trying to get the back area of the bolsters to conform well and flatten out, but I got it best I could and over time it stretched out and the wrinkles disappeared.
The last piece is the bottom and is pulled through between the crack and the edges of it are "hidden" under the plastic parts wrapped around the base of the seat.

I decided to shoot some pics of stock vs covered:

In this photo you can see the wrinkling in the bolsters a bit immediately after install. They have since flattened down after conforming and sitting in them as you can see in pictures further down:

Headrest:

Bottom:

Close up of the stitching:

Both seats installed:

Next up I installed the back. This took quite a bit of time and tackling to get them in really good. Mostly because I can't read Japanese. Now that I know how to install them, I bet I could do them in a jiffy, but the combination of a language barrier and minimal room in the back made for a lot of 4 letter cussing.

The two bottom parts are pretty easy to install. It involves removing the bolt right in the front and a pulling/downward motion and sweeping up to remove them. The seat covers for these areas simply had 3 backpack style adjustment straps to pull them tight around the seat. Then it had a drawstring that wrapped all around the edge that you pulled tight and tied around. Then reinstall the seat (this part was a bit tricky too)

The backing was the biggest pain. I placed the covers over top first and tried to zip them up and tuck the front piece that goes between and under to the trunk area after and no matter how much I tugged and pulled it wouldn't clip in. In the end, I had to take the entire cover off, hook that part off first, then reposition the cover and zip it back down. Finally after getting that in, I was able to zip it down and it sat flat against the back. The cover in the back sits really flat and nice. In the photos you can see the bottoms they seem to be a bit wrinklier, but it's also because no one sits back there and flattens it out for me. I rarely have more than 2 people in the vehicle, so it didn't have time to set as well as the front seats. Also I could have tied the drawstrings a lot tighter than I did, but felt it wasn't worth it for now since no one sat back there.

The side bolster wrinkles have flattened out quite a bit in a week:

Final impressions/conclusions:
I really like the stock seats in the FR-S and wasn't interested in changing them out. I only wanted them to feel a bit better and the stock fabric's thinness was starting to worry me and I could tell areas were starting to fade or "flatten down" due to getting in and out a certain way or rubbing up against certain areas so I opted for these covers.

Overall, I'm very impressed with how well they fit. Many people mentioned that they didn't even realize they were seat covers and thought I had changed out the seats. Another thing I wanted to make clear was that people were worried PVC leather or vinyl leather results in a slippery surface and sliding around in hard cornering, but this isn't the case. I took this car out to autocross and it feels like it's the perfect "stickiness" not all grippy like genuine leather on a hot day, but not slippery like cheaper leather seats. Just right.

There are a few cons of course with seat covers. There are certain areas which couldn't conform quite as well so there are small wrinkles in the bottom piece, the bolsters and the rear buckets. Over time several of them disappeared, but I think the ones that remain are here to stay. Another con is although the stitching is very strong, there were some loose threads or inconsistent stitching on some less noticeable areas. Another issue I have is that when I let passengers sit in the back (rarer occurance) and untie the seat belt holder, It is quite a pain to find the button to reclip it back in as the leather moves a bit when they are unhooked.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend these for anyone who really likes the stock seats but wants to upgrade the feel of the interior and grip/comfortability of the seats. It entirely changed how I felt about the interior of the cheaper FR-S and I have received continuous compliments on them by passengers and other owners. Also, I am a huge fan of SARD and their close ties with Toyota which really gives me the feeling they belong in the car.

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau

Last edited by CrazyWookiee; 05-31-2013 at 02:22 PM.
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to CrazyWookiee For This Useful Post:
355rockit (11-16-2013), 86geek (02-15-2015), 8R6 (09-30-2014), acro (07-22-2014), AlexL (05-06-2015), Aydhayeth (10-16-2013), azian_advanced (10-31-2013), Beyer Subaru (05-31-2013), BRAWL (08-21-2013), BurnetRhoades (05-12-2016), calis5nest (05-31-2013), Chrisgalactic (08-19-2016), go_a_way1 (04-13-2016), Grateful Dave (07-10-2014), IntotheOcean (05-31-2013), Kakawate (10-24-2013), kalamitykode (05-04-2014), kidgogeta (05-31-2013), Loki2x (05-31-2013), M-17 (05-31-2013), m.box.design (10-09-2013), Minovsky (05-31-2013), newports (07-02-2013), nigel-jdmparts (05-31-2013), NWFRS (03-16-2015), tbox (08-24-2013), Tcoat (02-05-2015), TennisHsu (05-31-2013), Timmy_Jones (04-02-2014), TofuJoe (12-20-2015), vincent201089 (05-31-2013), WallsAndFoundations (09-14-2014), WilOTheWisp (12-12-2013), wulfstan (03-28-2017)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
TennisHsu

Drives: 2013 Whiteout MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Those look awesome! thanks for sharing!
TennisHsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Those look good, I've been looking for some recently. It's either these or katzkin's. But the only think I don't like is the wrinkles, you should take another picture in another week! And is the logo optional? Or is it on every set?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
these look way better than clazzio
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minovsky For This Useful Post:
CrazyWookiee (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
jchall30

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What was the price on these from Nigel?
jchall30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
CrazyWookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM View Post
Those look good, I've been looking for some recently. It's either these or katzkin's. But the only think I don't like is the wrinkles, you should take another picture in another week! And is the logo optional? Or is it on every set?
I'll get another picture. The wrinkles have relaxed. The logo is on every set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchall30 View Post
What was the price on these from Nigel?
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/sard-8...her-seat-cover

Last edited by CrazyWookiee; 08-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyWookiee For This Useful Post:
jchall30 (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Was talking to Nigel about these...might be in the future...keep us updated on how theyre holding up and all.
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
TennisHsu

Drives: 2013 Whiteout MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How long did delivery take?
TennisHsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
the fitment looks excelent!!! forgive me if you answered this (didn't read everything) but did you take the stock covers off, or do these go right over everything?
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
CrazyWookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisHsu View Post
How long did delivery take?
Delivery took around 4-6 weeks I think. But it was an item I requested from nigel-jdmparts. He didn't mention or have it listed at all. He simply said he was able to get them but might be a longer weight, so my waiting time is a poor representation of shipping time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
the fitment looks excelent!!! forgive me if you answered this (didn't read everything) but did you take the stock covers off, or do these go right over everything?
Yep, they fit really well. Nope, I didn't have to take the stock covers off. They go right over the stock items.

TennisHsu (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
that looks much better than the clazzio kit. looks like it's less baggy in the middle of the seat
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Minovsky

Yeah i like the straight seems or pattern going thru the middle as opposed to the curved.. it looked really weird.. anyways this looks great! So the 4XX it also includes the back seat?? I wonder why there is no option for black and red.. but theres black and blue.. abit confuzzled but owell..
Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
CrazyWookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Yeah i like the straight seems or pattern going thru the middle as opposed to the curved.. it looked really weird.. anyways this looks great! So the 4XX it also includes the back seat?? I wonder why there is no option for black and red.. but theres black and blue.. abit confuzzled but owell..
Yep. The pricing off the site provides you front and back. 9 pieces + booklet + metal hooks. The back of everything is covered as well. Back of the front seats, and even back of the fold down, so you can it from the trunk as well.

Minovsky (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Minovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWookiee View Post
Yep. The pricing off the site provides you front and back. 9 pieces + booklet + metal hooks. The back of everything is covered as well. Back of the front seats, and even back of the fold down, so you can it from the trunk as well.
Amazing gona save up for this haha Do you know if it would be possible to place heat seat pads under these?