follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In that case you will get it figured out. But starting with a good amount more camber up front will save you some work.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
track_warrior (07-22-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
jedibow
post whore extraordinaire

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Grey FR-S 2003 Evo 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Quick question for those who have tracked (Road course) your car already. How are the tires wearing, specifically the outer edge? I have always worn the outer edge of my tires on prior cars at the track. I am hoping this will be less of/or no issue with the BRZ due to the light weight and suspension design.

I am coming from a much heavier car (2005 GTO) that went through tires quickly. I promised myself I would not change anything on my BRZ until I have been to the track to see how everything works. I will be going in two weeks all stock.

Pat
Pat is your local track banked? If it is that is why...

Also remember this is a vehicle that gets it's speed by carrying momentum. Always try to break, and accelerate while the steering wheel is straight (read not in the middle of a turn).

G

He's obviously a very knowledgable landscaper.
jedibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
scorcherjf

Drives: RX8
It also depends quite a bit on the course you're running. The best solution would be to get some camber plates up front and use a laser or probe pyrometer at the track after a couple laps and adjust accordingly to even out the tire temperatures. The rears you can't really change on the fly but you should have less problems there because it's multi-link.

Of course, running quite a bit of negative camber for the track will cause the inside of the tires to wear faster while driving on the street. Getting an alignment before and after each track event might not be too practical lol
scorcherjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
fasteddy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
Pat is your local track banked? If it is that is why...

Also remember this is a vehicle that gets it's speed by carrying momentum. Always try to break, and accelerate while the steering wheel is straight (read not in the middle of a turn).

G
Yes, good catch. There is a large banked high speed turn on the long track. There is a "cloverleaf" on the short track that is hard on tires as well. The track I go to is Brainerd International Raceway.

I am going to need to re-learn the track with the new car. My old car could not go in fast, but I could put the power down very well coming out of the corners. I suspect I will be going in to corners faster and carrying more speed with the BRZ.

Pat
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
Sam Strano

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
I have no idea where to start The car is so new not alot of data is out there but a good friend suggested we do a skid pad and take tire temps and start adjusting from there. The good thing is SoulSpeed which is an alignment company moved to the track so i can adjust on the fly!!
Dude, this thing isn't from Mars.. it's a RWD Sports car, nothing new.... This is what I do, setup cars (and sell the parts to do it). First, you have no camber adjustment stock in the rear. But I'm curious to hear why you'd want that much in the rear, and that little (and less) in the front.....
Sam Strano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
Dude, this thing isn't from Mars.. it's a RWD Sports car, nothing new.... This is what I do, setup cars (and sell the parts to do it). First, you have no camber adjustment stock in the rear. But I'm curious to hear why you'd want that much in the rear, and that little (and less) in the front.....
Thats not what i am leaving it at, i plan to adjust it thats just my starting point. I already have vorshlag camber plates for the front and cusco rear adjustable arms about to be installed tomorrow. I thought of going with a bit of more camber in the rear since with the stock alignment the sidewalls took a beating and the cars rear end felt twitchy through high speed corners.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yes you will wear the outside of your front tires on a completely stock car at the track.

The stock alignment is junk and don't even bother. Really. I'm ALL for taking the car to the track or to an auto-x once completely stock to get a feel for things but a good alignment is something I recommend right off the showroom floor. We've seen a variety of toe settings from the factory over the years from Subaru and it's just not worth it to see what happens.

You can dial in some camber safely (with the right parts) without affecting day to day driveability, often while improving tire longevity/wear. A little bit of camber can help depending on driving habits. Even up to -1.75 front or so is fine for most street cars if you don't sit on the highway for hours on end on your commute. And you'll want more for a track car. No need for -2.5 in the rear.

The big tire killer is a lot of toe. A little toe-in is fine, but nothing too crazy.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote