follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
how does that work?
I wish i could give a more definitive scientific explanation other than stiffened chassis allows more road feel? Unfortunately, i can't give much more than my personal experience/butt science. My previous setup was an oem dc5 type-r suspension with the neuspeed strut tower.
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #30
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Some pics of the ball joint section:

Install thread for reference:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1528401

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-23-2014), DylanJZA (02-03-2023), mister.bond (05-01-2014), pward08 (03-24-2018)
Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #31
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone is using the STi Flexible Strut Tower Bar/Brace?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the bar being flexible?
It seems that you are the only person in the thread who actually has the bar.
I'm in the market for a STB as well, and I'm leaning towards a "jointed" design. How do you feel about the bar, from install, to looks, to driving? What kind of driving do you put it through?

Sorry for digging up this fossilized thread.

-Nat
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
FTemplar

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech 2013
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
It seems that you are the only person in the thread who actually has the bar.
I'm in the market for a STB as well, and I'm leaning towards a "jointed" design. How do you feel about the bar, from install, to looks, to driving? What kind of driving do you put it through?

Sorry for digging up this fossilized thread.

-Nat
I am picking up a used one locally tonight. Will update with feedback when i've driven it for some time. Still on winter tires at the moment so i'm gonna hold on installing it right away for obvious reasons.
FTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #33
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
I just bought the STi flexible strut bar from ft86speedfactory. Paid $360 for the bar shipped. I will be getting it this Thursday. Install seems straight forward so i'll install it that day and post some pics. And my review after..

Three reasons why i bought the bar:

1- OEM+ handling and stability performance.
2- STI knows their shit and their products are high quality.
3- Looks badass.

Last edited by Jfheisenberg; 04-13-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
BRZ86_

Drives: 2014 WR Blue Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just ordered mine today so lets see how it goes
BRZ86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #35
FTemplar

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech 2013
Ive had one on my car for a few weeks now, but I also installed coilovers so I can't really tell the impact it has. Mostly got it for looks. Bought it used for 180$ CAD.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
FTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #36
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Got the Sti flexible strut bar last thursday. Install was easy, needed to use a socket wrench and a 12m bolt.

For impressions, the car feels more planted on tight corners, more confident when doing quick maneuvers and more comfortable on some harsh surfaces. I'll be taking the car to some twisty roads to really push it. Keep in mind that i have RCE yellow lowering springs with stock OEM shocks.

Pics below:

Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #37
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Bought the same bar and fitted it this past weekend. Suspension and bracing wise the car was stock. The improvement in ride was shockingly apparent.

My street is a little lumpy with less than perfect slabs of concrete and filled pot holes. The ride was pretty bouncy and jarring through the seat so I was desiring new comfort oriented coil overs, but now the front has really settled down. The ride feels firmer just driving along and more planted when taking corners.

I also bought the TRD door stabilizers, but could only get one of the two screws off the driver side door using the tools at hand. Bought an impact screwdriver off e-bay, which arrived today, so will hopefully get the rest of the screws off to install the stabilisers this weekend. After the impact the STI strut brace made I'm excited to see if the door stabilizers do anything other than add bling.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #38
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Bought the same bar and fitted it this past weekend. Suspension and bracing wise the car was stock. The improvement in ride was shockingly apparent.

My street is a little lumpy with less than perfect slabs of concrete and filled pot holes. The ride was pretty bouncy and jarring through the seat so I was desiring new comfort oriented coil overs, but now the front has really settled down. The ride feels firmer just driving along and more planted when taking corners.

I also bought the TRD door stabilizers, but could only get one of the two screws off the driver side door using the tools at hand. Bought an impact screwdriver off e-bay, which arrived today, so will hopefully get the rest of the screws off to install the stabilisers this weekend. After the impact the STI strut brace made I'm excited to see if the door stabilizers do anything other than add bling.
There won't be much noticeable impact from the TRD Door Stabilizers. You'll get more feedback from installing the STI flexible v-bars or draw stiffener instead.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Mim (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #39
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
There won't be much noticeable impact from the TRD Door Stabilizers. You'll get more feedback from installing the STI flexible v-bars or draw stiffener instead.
Actually since fitting the door stabilizers the car seems a touch more solid as I take corners. There is certainly less creaking from the body, but I do admit (as you say) there really isn't much in it as big changes go. I do enjoy the more solid thunk of the doors when closing and, from a bling perspective, it really cleans up the unfinished look around the door latch.

Now that you mention it I'm kinda on the fence about the v-bars. I really didn't think they would do much given the stock car already has its own set. Do you really notice a change in fitting the STI ones?

Also I'm only just starting to look into the draw stiffener. From what I gather it connects under the car. Is it something reasonably easy to fit your self?

After experiencing the dramatic impact of the STI strut brace I suddenly have greater interest in a category I never really played around in before. Always knew that bracing was important in a racing applications, but never realized what an impact it could make in improving the general ride quality of a car.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
pward08 (03-24-2018)
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #40
SirPierre.se

Drives: #RocketBunny86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Guys, i need your help.

Is it supposed to be this flexible and lose??
Or is mine broken??

SirPierre.se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #41
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPierre.se View Post
Guys, i need your help.

Is it supposed to be this flexible and lose??
Or is mine broken??

thats about normal.

the idea with the flex joint in the middle is that it prevents lateral motion of the strut towers. left to right. but it does not stop up and down motion of the struts. therefore giving you the strength in the areas you want for hard cornering, but not making the NVH increase and give you weird flexing vs a solid bar.

by my comprehension of most sti bits.

its for show, makes the car work a bit better while keeping everything "smooth" (for a 20k car) but if you want raw performance a solid bar will offer you a bit more for way cheaper.

I had some draw stiffeners for the brz (non 2018 model) and am selling them now and going to a fixed cusco one soon here
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #42
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Would this clear the Edelbrock supercharger?
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote