follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #113
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Sigmund Freud DID say that in his book Dreams In Folklore (1958), in many many more words.
The term is a summary of the passages in Freud's book by Don B.Kates from Kates essay on it.
Proven to be a summarised view/opinion by Don B. Kates Jr in 1990. It had nothing to do with the context of gun ownership.

What was actually written:
Dreams in Folklore (1958), p. 33: "The representation of the penis as a weapon, cutting knife, dagger etc., is familiar to us from the anxiety dreams of abstinent women in particular and also lies at the root of numerous phobias in neurotic people."
Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #114
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Proven to be a summarised view/opinion by Don B. Kates Jr in 1990. It had nothing to do with the context of gun ownership.

What was actually written:
Dreams in Folklore (1958), p. 33: "The representation of the penis as a weapon, cutting knife, dagger etc., is familiar to us from the anxiety dreams of abstinent women in particular and also lies at the root of numerous phobias in neurotic people."
Correct - not guns - weapons.

By the way - guns are weapons.

CERBERUS

CERBERUS

Last edited by RFB; 04-25-2014 at 06:55 AM.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #115
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Reading comprehension fail appears to be a trait.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #116
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
This must surely be some sort of joke or troll attempt. Surely you are not that ignorant of history.

Yes, if they are acting criminally or immorally. It would be considered moral and civic duty. That's actually exactly how the United States came to become a nation much like many others. British soldiers showed up at people's doors and imposed their will upon them, in many times not so nice ways.

I don't think you've thought anything through. It's not about me versus the US or any domestic or foreign aggressor. It's about We the People standing together to protect our innate freedoms against potential and actual oppression. When the government puts you and your friends up for execution because they don't like your opinions or because you were falsely accused, will you and your neighbors wish you had the right to protect and defend yourselves then?

To be honest, it's people with your mindset that I fear far more than any army or tank. I used to have my own tank fyi, served in the military, and have multiple degrees including History, Philosophy and Political Science. I think I've thought this out better than yourself sir. Surely somebody must have thought it out better to have provided you with that you do not see fit to defend. How amazing is it that you can openly disagree with others without having ever picked up a firearm or having to defend yourself. I wonder how that happened? Interesting...
Contrary to what most people think, Canadians are actually allowed to own guns, even handguns. Shotguns and rifles are terribly easy to legally obtain. Handguns are harder but you can still get them. Hell a couple of my buddies go shooting and hunting all the time.

I've also fired several guns and have had to defend myself before (although not with a gun).

The main difference is that we're not allowed to conceal carry. So when I do have to defend myself I don't need a gun because they other guy doesn't have one either.

Yes arming the population might have worked in 1775, but this is 2014. Just ask the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan how well it worked when they tried to push the US army out. Not well I'm afraid, and it won't go any better for you.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #117
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
Contrary to what most people think, Canadians are actually allowed to own guns, even handguns. Shotguns and rifles are terribly easy to legally obtain. Handguns are harder but you can still get them. Hell a couple of my buddies go shooting and hunting all the time.

I've also fired several guns and have had to defend myself before (although not with a gun).

The main difference is that we're not allowed to conceal carry. So when I do have to defend myself I don't need a gun because they other guy doesn't have one either.

Yes arming the population might have worked in 1775, but this is 2014. Just ask the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan how well it worked when they tried to push the US army out. Not well I'm afraid, and it won't go any better for you.
What about Somalia? Worked well enough for them, to the point the US denies it was even a war.

It's not truly about "taking on the government", at least to most gun owners. It's the simple fact it is our inalienable right to carry as u.s citizens. Our very own bill of rights guarantees this. I exercise my rights, and that's all it comes down to.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J_kennington For This Useful Post:
Ndgreely (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #118
Ndgreely

Drives: 2013 FR-S 2003 SRT-4 1964 Impala SS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If I travel with mine I keep it between my seat and the door .. If I can't carry it in to a place I will leave it there or put it in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat .. It fits nicely there and isn't visible at all ... Fairly decent size gun also .. Glock 22
Ndgreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #119
DocCola
Something funny

Drives: 2011 WRX hatch DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I just want to make sure we're clear here...what you're saying is that you KNOW that anyone who tries to mug you, kidnap you, rape you or do other bodily harm to you has NO chance of having a gun. Congratulation on having Canada be the ONLY country in the ENTIRE world where a criminal doesn't have and/or can't obtain a gun. That in and of itself is one hell of an accomplishment.

Listen man, I think I see what you're saying. You're assuming that if I got into some sort of altercation with another citizen who was carrying a gun that we would automaticly draw down on each other like it was the wild west and start a shoot out. No. Not going to happen. I personally have never heard of that happening. If that were the case every time someone got into a debate at a gun range about which gun was better, who's truck was better or which beer was better it would turn into a mass shooting. There is a heavy screening process in damn near all of the states before you can get you conceal carry permit. I know in my home state (Massachusetts) not only did I have to pass the screening and prove I was capeable of handling a gun, I then had to give the police chief of my town a good reason as to why I thought I should be allowed to conceal carry. In Washington where I'm stationed now I just had to pass the CORY and not have a criminal background.

TL-DR: Don't confuse legal conceal carriers with thugs, gang bangers and criminals who go around shooting each other like it's the wild west.
RFB (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #120
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
7 months is what I'd expect on buying a suppressor or getting approval for an SBR upper.

What's nice about guns is that MSRP is the price ceiling... and most dealers will sell WELL below MSRP. I got my V-Bob for $1600. Traded in my S&W E-series 1911 for it too. It was the trigger. It was simply perfection.
In order for a pistol to be sold in Maryland, it must be approved for sale and appear on the 'Handgun Roster' that the State Police publish. The Pointman (Seven, I believe) in .45 was already on the roster - I petitioned to have the Nine added as a caliber addition (less involved process, does not require me to purchase the pistol and give it to the State Police to evaluate) in November. They board that approves these types of requests didn't meet until late March. The results were published April 18th and all approved pistols legal for sale May 18th.

It was supposed to be a birthday present to myself, but I haven't seen a Pointman Nine in months. At this point I'll probably get the S&W 1911 Pro 9mm when I do get a 9mm 1911 - more important purchase right now is a 9mm with factory threaded barrel.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #121
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

You must be a child. I say that in an assuming way, not demeaning. Up until I was about 22-23 I felt the same way you do. Now that I
understand criminals don't follow the law, I'm not ever going to assume the other guy doesn't have agun JUST because I'm a law abiding citizen.
To say you're not "allowed" to conceal carry so no one has a gun is truly ignorant of fact and possibility.
We're not "allowed" to speed, run stop signs, make illegal uturns and so on and so forth in the states either, but we ALL break at least one traffic law everyday.
Just because you're not allowed to do something doesn't mean you can't.
I truly hope you never find out the hard way. But just be aware of the facts and possibilties before thinking that you'll ever ONLY need your physical abilities to defend yourself. I've never met one person who was bulletproof just because they were ignorant.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mooseknuckle44 For This Useful Post:
DocCola (04-25-2014), SirBrass (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #122
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
One thing I like about living in Colorado:
Not only do you not have to register your guns, but it is illegal for the local government to possess a gun registry.

I have seen more than one case of a local government trying to make gun owners forfeit their weapons. That is not possible if the government does not know you have them.

And it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car anywhere in the state (except federal land - you must unload the weapon).

This thread is kind of like someone asking "How do I put on a condom" and having a bunch of people lecturing them about how rape is illegal.....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #123
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
In order for a pistol to be sold in Maryland, it must be approved for sale and appear on the 'Handgun Roster' that the State Police publish. The Pointman (Seven, I believe) in .45 was already on the roster - I petitioned to have the Nine added as a caliber addition (less involved process, does not require me to purchase the pistol and give it to the State Police to evaluate) in November. They board that approves these types of requests didn't meet until late March. The results were published April 18th and all approved pistols legal for sale May 18th.

It was supposed to be a birthday present to myself, but I haven't seen a Pointman Nine in months. At this point I'll probably get the S&W 1911 Pro 9mm when I do get a 9mm 1911 - more important purchase right now is a 9mm with factory threaded barrel.
I could sell you one of my 1911s not Dan Wessons but better. I like 1911s if you can't tell lol.
Attached Images

pche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pche For This Useful Post:
charged86 (05-08-2014), DocCola (04-25-2014), SirBrass (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #124
VenaSera
2 Scoob Dude

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used to use a lock box under the seat like a few people mentioned, but its not easy to get to. I'm curious to see if the space between the door frame and seat will work for me or not. Sub-ed in case someone finds a better, or somewhat more secure, suggestion.
VenaSera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #125
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
I suggest you guys keep things on topic.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (04-26-2014), VenaSera (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #126
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pche View Post
I could sell you one of my 1911s not Dan Wessons but better. I like 1911s if you can't tell lol.
Hard to beat DW (unofficial member of COTEP here ;-)). For *ahem* "bang" for your buck, a Dan Wesson is hard to beat. Sure, I'd LOVE to own a Nighthawk, but the level of NH over DW isn't worth the $3.5k price difference. Yet. Maybe once I'm done modding the BRZ, I'll think about it :-P.

I also own a sig p938 (great mouse gun) & love it, as well as a s&w m&p357c. Wonderful guns all, but my heart lies with Saint Browning's handgun masterpiece.

I first learned to shoot handguns back in 2006 at the late Col. Cooper's academy (Gunsite in Paulden, AZ). As I didn't own a gun at the time, I rented one, thus it was a 1911. It's what I was taught with, and 6 years afterwards, I finally was able to own one after having owned several other pistols.

To me it's like having always wanted a Cayman & finally being able to afford one.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'murica, bieber, fuckyeah, glove box, gun, handgun, holster