follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #43
Aipex8

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Wider DOES = more lateral grip (to a point) when you account for everything. It isn't as simple as arguing that the contact patch is the same. Otherwise people wouldn't be running wider tires in autocross events.

Also, Engineering Explained annoys the shit out of me. He does a great job of explaining some fundamentals, but his tests are never anything CLOSE to properly scientific. I wouldn't mind that so much if people understood this, but instead people treat his test results like gospel, whereas any proper researcher would LAUGH at the suggestion that his test results were truly accurate. It isn't his fault, as he doesn't have the resources to do a proper test, but that doesn't mean we should just ignore the fact that some of his tests are almost silly in how unscientific they are. They're just meant to be interesting tests that attempt to get some sort of standardized result, but they're FAR from accurate, and they are always hawked as the be-all, end-all of a debate.

The video you linked is a particularly egregious example.
LOL, he's the Bill Nye of the tuning world. He's kind of nerdy and talks with authority about lots of subjects. I guess he knows everything! I'm not saying the guy isn't smart, but I swear some of his videos you can tell he's just regurgitating stuff he just looked up and doesn't have a deep understanding of. But, I guess that's the life of a Youtuber, you have to put some kind of content out to make a living.
Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aipex8 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-18-2018), weederr33 (01-12-2019)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #44
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Are you running 195's on 6.5" wheels or similar?

give me a set of 6.5" wheels that way less than 10 pounds and I'd run 195 in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aipex8 View Post
LOL, he's the Bill Nye of the tuning world. He's kind of nerdy and talks with authority about lots of subjects. I guess he knows everything! I'm not saying the guy isn't smart, but I swear some of his videos you can tell he's just regurgitating stuff he just looked up and doesn't have a deep understanding of. But, I guess that's the life of a Youtuber, you have to put some kind of content out to make a living.

he's an entertainer and he knows it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #45
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
So, while thinking about this thread, I'd like to present a definition:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ricer

So what percent of "ricer" are you? I went up from 215's to 225's, so I'm probably 5% there.... I could argue that these are much better tires, which they are, but I could have put on 215's.... Oh, well.... Here's a proposed list:

Add an intake -- 10%
Add headers/exhaust -- 20%
Lower car -- 10%
Wide tires (235+) -- 15%
Expensive rims -- 20%
Big spoiler -- 15%
Stickers, etc -- 10%
I only wish there was a way you could somehow just...shut up?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (01-11-2019), weederr33 (01-12-2019)