follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
osudoc11

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here you can see that when VVT is not activated Intake angle 2 is more retarded. It evens out when VVT becomes active. Shortly after, the exhaust VVT becomes active. This causes a slight delay in intake VVT, as to be expected. However, intake angle 1 recovers nicely. Intake angle 2 oscillates quite a bit longer and slowly recovers. Either oil is being impeded to the cam phaser or the cam phaser is sticky.

http://www.datazap.me/u/osudoc11/tim...log=0&data=0-1

This really is a nice graph.
osudoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #30
kritch

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
osudoc11, did you get any further? Im interested as to what the final fix is.
kritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #31
JOSEC

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
@osudoc11 is correct. I've had this code twice. The fist time it happened I the dealer replace the cam sensor. The second time I had a considerable oil leak from a banjo bolt on my oil cooler. Apparently I lost enough oil that the intake cam was delayed at one point. Just filled the car with oil, wiped the code and everything was working fine.
JOSEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #32
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
I had issues with the p0016 code and they ended up replacing my VVTI gears, and gave me a new ECU. Less then a 1000 miles later. I got rod knock. This is what I'm dealing with now.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #33
osudoc11

Rod knock? That sucks. Dealer is going to replace cam sprocket and ecu. You sure you're getting rod knock? Can you log and see that the knock sensors are picking it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to osudoc11 For This Useful Post:
steve99 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #34
LtKarma

Drives: Black (Raven) 2 door coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This sucks I have the same code P0018 and I'm hoping there's a solid fix for this. I've been limping around for over a month and half now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LtKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #35
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osudoc11 View Post
So I got problems. I recently put on a JDL catless UEL header and JDL catless frontpipe. Got a moto-east tune for it. The day I put it all on I threw a P0018 code. I have put the stock ecutek tune on as well and still throw the code. I have datalogged countless times. I did have some times where one of my intake cams would go -29 when the target value was 0. I could rev the engine and the -29 would over shoot to +39 and settle back around 0. I thought this was the issue that was throwing the code. To me it looked like clogged OCV passage/filter. I got an engine flush and oil change. Data logging since then does not show the -29 anymore but I am still throwing P0018. Both intake cams seem to respond well and lag slightly behind the target angles. I assume this is normal since electricity is faster than oil. I have swapped OCV's from side to side and cam position sensors from side to side. Still get P0018 (not the other side).

Any idea what is going on guys? I am out of ideas.

Could it be the Crank position sensor. I assume I would have more problems if that were the case. It seems to drive fine once i reset the DTC's but then I get the code and it become "detuned" (slight limp mode).

Please help!!!

How strange. I also got P0018 immediately after Moto East installed my JDL UEL/tune.

I started discussing this in post #6. It was a hellish time. I've driven my car 2,870 miles since October 11th 2015. That's something around 230 days.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97944

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #36
osudoc11

Hey Laika, I just read your issue with the p000d now. That sucks. Did you get it fixed? Did you put the tune back on after the initial cam sprocket fix? It really seems like some engines just have this failure recurrently and subaru really has no clue what is causing it. After this subaru it is going to be something without variable valve timing for me.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #37
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
How strange. I also got P0018 immediately after Moto East installed my JDL UEL/tune.

I started discussing this in post #6. It was a hellish time. I've driven my car 2,870 miles since October 11th 2015. That's something around 230 days.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97944
Quote:
Hey Laika, I just read your issue with the p000d now. That sucks. Did you get it fixed? Did you put the tune back on after the initial cam sprocket fix? It really seems like some engines just have this failure recurrently and subaru really has no clue what is causing it. After this subaru it is going to be something without variable valve timing for me.

yes its weird, I suspect that a lot of aftermarket tunes "push" the vvt system harder ie ask for a greater rate of change of cam timing than the stock tune. Hence this may uncover latent defects in the vvt system in some cars
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #38
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I did eventually reupload the tune. Probably about 400 miles (if not, much less) before I had the OCV failure (second issue). Allegedly the car is fixed now. Ever since I got the car back, my oil light will stay on a few seconds longer at initial cold start up. Kinda dismissed it. I had still fresh Subaru 0w20 in it from the initial failure because they had to drain and replace oil. After changing out to Eneos 0w20 (what the car has spent most of its life on), the light issue didn't change at all. So now I'm a bit worried because there's clearly a lag in building oil pressure here. Only a matter of time until till I find out what it is. In a bad way. Hoping to diagnose it before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
yes its weird, I suspect that a lot of aftermarket tunes "push" the vvt system harder ie ask for a greater rate of change of cam timing than the stock tune. Hence this may uncover latent defects in the vvt system in some cars
I don't claim to know anything about tuning but I'd venture a solid bet that this is exactly right. Any thoughts on my oil light issue described above?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #39
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post

I don't claim to know anything about tuning but I'd venture a solid bet that this is exactly right. Any thoughts on my oil light issue described above?

might be as per posts here
, the oil pressure switch in these cars is set to about 3psi, basicly total oil pressure loss to trigger

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1789776
Old 06-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #40
osudoc11

Well I can only speculate as to your oil issue. The simplest and hopeful explanation is a failing oil pressure switch. The most detrimental explanation would be that when you were having your issues earlier your rod journals weren't getting enough oil. This could cause wear (spun journal). Now it may be a little to big and allowing oil pressure to escape. I would think if it were this issue you would have a little bit of knock. I honestly feel like a lot of these OCV issues could be solved by checking the OCV filters. Unfortunately they put them in the freaking camshaft housing assembly. So essentially you have to take it down to the cams to get to them. You think they would have learned with the EJ series engines. Eventually Subaru was telling the dealers to just take the filters out on the EJ's.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #41
Gumberculies

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Question

So I just had something similar happen to me a little over a week ago.

P000B fault code comes up for me. I have a 2016 BRZ. Happened 6 days after installing JDL UEL catless headers with OFT stage tune UEL 93 Oct tune. Reverted ECU back to stock and still had the issue show up. My car is at the dealership now and even though my OFT had said it flashed the ECU back to stock, the dealership is saying that the ECU is showing it's been modified (something about an ignition count of 20 or w/e, not fully sure). I checked with OFT before taking the car in and it showed the stock tune as being loaded. Really wish I would have taken pictures before hand.

Were you ever able to figure out if this is caused by the header or the tune. I would think it would be the tune and don't really know how it could be caused by just the header. This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while now, but just can't seem to get a straight answer. From what I'm reading it definitely seems like it's the tune that caused a small defect to finally present itself.
Gumberculies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #42
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumberculies View Post
So I just had something similar happen to me a little over a week ago.

P000B fault code comes up for me. I have a 2016 BRZ. Happened 6 days after installing JDL UEL catless headers with OFT stage tune UEL 93 Oct tune. Reverted ECU back to stock and still had the issue show up. My car is at the dealership now and even though my OFT had said it flashed the ECU back to stock, the dealership is saying that the ECU is showing it's been modified (something about an ignition count of 20 or w/e, not fully sure). I checked with OFT before taking the car in and it showed the stock tune as being loaded. Really wish I would have taken pictures before hand.

Were you ever able to figure out if this is caused by the header or the tune. I would think it would be the tune and don't really know how it could be caused by just the header. This is something I've been trying to figure out for a while now, but just can't seem to get a straight answer. From what I'm reading it definitely seems like it's the tune that caused a small defect to finally present itself.

What the dealer is talking about with "Ignition count" is the number of starts the ecu has recorded since the ecu was reflashed or RESET. A Reset can be just removing a batter terminal or a flat battery. They have no proof it was reflashed, they have seen header and are trying you on.

The oft will have put a byte for byte stock rom back in the car. just say you tried resetting ecu by removing a battery terminal a couple of days ago, or read and reset codes/ecu with a scan tool. either of those will also reset all the counters like start counts, DTC on/off times in ECU.