follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #183
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
just read this whole post.

WEEEAAAAAAK! Not reserving this even if it is released in the US. Waiting for the "works" STi. First gen-BRZ stays....unless 2015 wrx sti is released......is LA auto show here yet? I've got a feeling this November.
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #184
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
The issue is that people say these cars "NEED" a turbo when they don't. If their purpose to be built didn't include a turbo, then they don't NEED a turbo. People just WANT a turbo because they want to show off and a turbo compensates for their poor driving skills. Once that turbo spools up, most people are suddenly off the road, and that's with an AWD car. I would love to see insurance sky rocket with a turbocharged FT-86 let loose. Loose, I say!
Nah, the supercharger or turbo would just be nice for passing maneuvers on the freeway or back roads when granny is doing 40 in a 55. That's the only reason I want one.

I'm not sure where your 'compensating for poor driving skills' assumption comes from. Induction isn't autopilot.

One major downside to boost is that it puts the car into a much more competitive racing class for autoX.

Another reason not to put a bunch of extra power into the BRZ is that it already gets floaty above 100mph. Without a big wing on the back and maybe a splitter, I'd be wary of going much over 220-250whp and 120+ mph. This may be why Toyobaru went easy on the power and focused on handling. Better to have a car that the vast majority of drivers can handle easily than throw together a death trap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuhlka For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-06-2013), go2brz (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #185
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
I'm not sure where your 'compensating for poor driving skills' assumption comes from. Induction isn't autopilot.
More power allows you to get away with more mistakes than a lower HP car and still be 'competitive'.

Low HP forces the car to carry more momentum if it wants to be fast. It is harder to gain back speed lost compared to a car with more power. A car with more power doesn't hurt as much, because it can regain that speed more easily.

It is a frequent occurrence in track days/HPDEs where a driver is really slow through a corner, holds everyone up, but has huge power and makes it impossible or nearly impossible to get a point by/pass on the straights. It happens all the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (08-06-2013), SnapOv3st3r (08-06-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #186
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This "Ts" model is a glorified paint and tape package, not interested.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #187
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Don't be so dramatic. If people WANT more power that the aftermarket can't provide, then the manufacturer can choose to give it more power. Power = fun, sure. However, these cars were made to be fun without "extra" power. That's all I'm getting at.

The only time I feel my car is lacking is when I wish I had an extra 50hp to MORE quickly pull around someone... but then I just think of reverse polarity and realize I can look just as good hitting my brakes, letting that person make an ass of themselves as they take off at high speeds and I still look good cruising by "normally" through traffic.

I just think cars like these require smarter driving than what most people are used to and I still contend that more power just makes sloppier drivers. I've owned 3 turbocharged Subaru's and I used to be one of those other people. I've also owned some nice, balanced vehicles and I've learned to appreciate a car that handles better over more power.

I'm not alone on this, but I don't think you're wrong either. It's just a preference, but my preference doesn't have me shouting to the heavens for something that, if it did exist, would take YEARS to come out anyways. In the meantime I'd be missing out on such a real experience as what the FT-86 is providing. It's an exciting platform that has the automotive industry in a tizzy. A 250HP BRZ will not be that big of news if it ever came out, mostly because, "Been there, done that, next" attitude that comes with having a RWD sports car with FI. Sound familiar? Okay, now 200HP NA RWD sport car? Less familiar-sounding, right? Which one might allow you to feel more unique?

I'll take the current snowflake over the future, theoretical one.
Meh..you are right. The car is good as it is, and it's something different I guess. You might be right in the case of not "needing" more power, but rather some people could "prefer" more power according to their style and expectations of the car.

It's true though, if you are going for more power there are other entry level sports cars out there offering that. Great handling and balance on the other hand, not so much at under $30k.
The Following User Says Thank You to tacoss23 For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-06-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #188
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Did any people know what strengthened driveshaft in the article is?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #189
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I do wish it had more badges and decals in the back though...
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-06-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #190
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Did any people know what strengthened driveshaft in the article is?

Thanks.
If they did anything to it... My guess would be less weight with an aluminum or CF driveshaft. No idea why it would need to be "stronger" at 200 bhp and not a single report of a drive shaft failure on this forum even with modified engine cars.

I like the idea BTW if they did do a lighter DS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Insano For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #191
RL_BRZ

Drives: BRZ WRB Pearl Limited Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I hope they fixed the cricket sound noise... :-(
Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #192
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Love it or not, the BRZ Sti is still family.
Quit treating it like a red headed step child :-)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #193
go2brz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
More power allows you to get away with more mistakes than a lower HP car and still be 'competitive'.

Low HP forces the car to carry more momentum if it wants to be fast. It is harder to gain back speed lost compared to a car with more power. A car with more power doesn't hurt as much, because it can regain that speed more easily.

It is a frequent occurrence in track days/HPDEs where a driver is really slow through a corner, holds everyone up, but has huge power and makes it impossible or nearly impossible to get a point by/pass on the straights. It happens all the time.
You should not be worrying about cars that have the power to pull more power out of the corners. If you are "racing" against cars with 100 or more HP than you, you should be in a class racing system. The SCCA would not have a BRZ racing against a car with lots more HP, unless it is modified.

But if you are "racing the clock" or just "racing" against cars with much more HP, you should not be losing unless you are performing on a "fast course" that allows for HP to be more important than handling. Most autocross or gymakana courses are tight enough to give the advantage to the best handling car that also has some power, rather than the car that has lots of power but less handling. My experience also has shown me that it is true that high HP cars can blast by you on parts of the course, but the key is to find a way to pass them on the corners the are the slowest. If they block you then the rules are not being enforced. It can become a bit crazy, but in the long run, I have found that the more you pass them on the corners, it changes their frame of mind usually and then becomes a bit easier to pass them and them open a bit of space to hold them off when their power comes on. (Not always a sure thing, but it sure feels good when it pays off) Of course the more modified your car is, than you have to race in different classes that might not always seem totally comparable. I beat lots of Mustangs, BMW's and such running a Subaru 2.5RS (Cobb and Prodrive modified) on tight courses, but the higher speed the course allowed the less likely I was to win. (HP makes that difference). The only time that I have had to deal with cars that had much more HP in a competitive event, was when I ran in the Open or "Exhibition class) rather than compete in the class events. (That applies to both "Vintage" racing and SCCA rules for "track days".) Each region or local club can run different rules, but as far as "national" rules, this is the standard I have found. I have not raced for a few years, and was never a "professional", so I am sure someone will have a different opinion abut what they have come across. It would be great to hear what other's experiences are with the BRZ.

I say all this because I don't see the car getting much more "factory" HP unless they add a turbo or supercharger, and that seems unlikely for the forseable future. How does Subaru (it is their engine design) get more HP out of a non-turbo or super chareged engine? This is a 2.0L that gets 200HP. If you check all factory engines available today, I think you will find that this is an exceptional output for a non-aspirated engine. Yes, more can be had, but to expect it with a warranty is maybe expecting too much. So if they decide to boost the engine somehow with forced induction (turbo or superchareged) then you will have what you want. For them to get 250HP out of a 2.0 litre is a lot to expect from a factory car that is intended to sell for a base price of around 25K. This is the car they designed. It has fantastic qualities that are hard to match without spending a low more on a Lotus, or even the new Alfa Romeo 4C (carbon fiber chassis) coming out early next year. It will sell for $60.000.00 minimum or more. The question is and always will be...........what do you get for your money. If it is not enough, then you have to spend more, either by major aftermarket upgrades, or by buying an expensive low production car with no questionable reliablity prospects. Pay now, or pay later, but you always have to pay to get to the top (in automobile competition)...........
The Following User Says Thank You to go2brz For This Useful Post:
kuhlka (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #194
Zoti

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Why not put a 2.5L in it with 250HP? No turbo etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoti For This Useful Post:
tacoss23 (08-06-2013), WolfpackS2k (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #195
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
You tools in search of more horsepower from the manufacturer make me laugh.

Keep posting, I'll keep laughing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jduffy For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-06-2013), illmatic (08-06-2013), Jive Turkey (08-06-2013), Marchy (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #196
maverickar15

Drives: 06 STI
I would be lying if I said I was not disappointed with lack of additional power.

...although to be honest, the only time when I think I really wanted additional power is when I'm enjoying a spirited drive in a mountain pass and I don't have enough room to pass the car in front of me safely. I keep thinking that this would have been nothing if I was in my STi...just drop a gear and punch it.

Sure with BRZ I can close the gap and basically ride someone's ass during the corner since this car corners very well but as soon as the corner straightens out the car in front of me also accelerates and I don't have enough power to pass when that happens. Sometimes I do when the person in front of me is slow at getting back on the gas but most of the times I don't, at least with the minimum distance I think I must maintain with the incoming traffic. And when you ride someone's ass getting ready to pass it is a human condition to not let that happen easily. You need instant acceleration to stop people from thinking they won't let you pass.

I would never pass someone in a corner on a public road due to obvious safety concerns so this means I must have enough power to pass someone in a straight road...and BRZ is definitely not adequate in that part. Most of mountain roads here are at 8000+ ft of altitude so that doesn't help either...

Closed Thread

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, brz sti, brz sti forum, brz sti forums, brz sti ts, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz sti, subaru brz sti forum, subaru brz sti forums, subaru brz sti ts