follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #463
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
BOOOO BOOOOO bad Tcoat. How dare you point out the truth.

Actually i think he believes what he told me, though I took it with a grain of salt. But yes his exact comment was , "it may come in a day or too sooner since it is a sold car". Salesman BS? yeah, but he didnt mean anything by it. I think he was just to trying to be positive.
One of the base rules of sales is, say something to keep the interest up. It doesn't have to be accurate since you can change the facts later. I am not condemning him just pointing out that he erred. Salesmen should really never give a certain day for delivery anyway. They should keep the dates wider to allow for delays or advances. There is a shitload of steps involved in getting the car from the factory to the customer and one minor hiccup can mean a delay of days or even weeks.
My brother in law drives trucks delivering Dodges (apparently the Hellcat is a PITA to load by the way) and he says he get's screamed at daily by dealers that were expecting the car much sooner. The fact that it was held up someplace way up the line means nothing to them since he is the last person in the chain he takes the heat.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #464
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
One of the base rules of sales is, say something to keep the interest up. It doesn't have to be accurate since you can change the facts later. I am not condemning him just pointing out that he erred. Salesmen should really never give a certain day for delivery anyway. They should keep the dates wider to allow for delays or advances. There is a shitload of steps involved in getting the car from the factory to the customer and one minor hiccup can mean a delay of days or even weeks.
My brother in law drives trucks delivering Dodges (apparently the Hellcat is a PITA to load by the way) and he says he get's screamed at daily by dealers that were expecting the car much sooner. The fact that it was held up someplace way up the line means nothing to them since he is the last person in the chain he takes the heat.
I watched the words of my salesman. He never said it WILL be delivered, or it WILL arrive. He's always said "Previous orders always arrived X days after we order cars, so I think it will arrive on X day." or "It should be delivered on X day." He never gave me a definitive, but people might have misconstrued "think" "should" "probably" "Estimated" as gospel
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-10-2017), ~el~jefe~ (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #465
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
I watched the words of my salesman. He never said it WILL be delivered, or it WILL arrive. He's always said "Previous orders always arrived X days after we order cars, so I think it will arrive on X day." or "It should be delivered on X day." He never gave me a definitive, but people might have misconstrued "think" "should" "probably" "Estimated" as gospel
That is the sign of a good salesman then. He gives the hope without making the promise. People will always hear what they want to hear though.

Like I said they are not necessarily lying to anybody and maybe their previous orders did indeed come in when they expected but if you say it will be there at this time and day and it is late then people will scream. If it shows up early then people will be happy but not usually so vocal in expressing that pleasure. It is much nicer to be surprised by an earlier than expected delivery that one weeks or months after you were told it would be there. This is why (back in September/October) I was so insistent that the first delivery dates would be January as clearly stated by Subaru and not the November and December ETAs that some of the dealers were telling people. They should never have gave those ETAs based on prior delivery experience since there was zero chance of it happening.
BboyRuda (01-10-2017), Drambeenie (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #466
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Reading through all the threads many people were told December before they got their VINs. The rest seemed to range from January all the way to April. As we have seen with those that have been delivered the estimated date of delivery is truly estimated and the car could show up well before or after that date.
Yeah, just curious if people have checked since then and not necessarily posted about it, just to see what estimated arrival months are. No big deal.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #467
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
Based on the tech behind them, there should only really be a noticeable difference on track. During regular driving they should feel the same or slightly more comfortable.
Why would they be more comfortable? My understanding is that shocks geared for the track are tuned to ride on a smoother surface, making them a little more bouncy on public roads where the pavement isn't is as nice.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #468
goldenfri

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to goldenfri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Why would they be more comfortable? My understanding is that shocks geared for the track are tuned to ride on a smoother surface, making them a little more bouncy on public roads where the pavement isn't is as nice.
Assuming they are using some type of tech similar to the Ohlins DFV. Then that would allow them to handle high speed damping (big bumps) better while still being firm for performance driving. That said I haven't seen anything definitive about them yet.
goldenfri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goldenfri For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #469
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
There was a thread on here, someone had a pretty good write up about it. If i recall they might have mentioned something about two chambers and how small vibrations are handled with one chamber (track), while larger bumps are handled with the other (road) so that they can have two types of damping performance in the same strut.

But don't quote me on that!
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #470
Tcoat

Quote:
They are a duel valve system. Smooth's out the ride during normal driving but firm up when you start hammering on them. They are a great buy for the low price of the PP.
~el~jefe~ (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #471
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
They are a duel valve system. Smooth's out the ride during normal driving but firm up when you start hammering on them. They are a great buy for the low price of the PP.
It's a passive system though? The damper doesn't know when you're trying to drive normal or hard, it just knows shaft speed and wheel displacement. Either way, I'm not trying to debate the value of the PP, because it is a great value, just curious about the specs of what is delivered. For $1100, which includes wheels and 4-wheel BBK, it's hard for me to imagine these shocks are anywhere near an Ohlins. Just too much stuff for too little money, the cynic in me can't believe it's true!
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #472
BboyRuda

Drives: Series.Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Going a little bit off topic here.. but my salesman just contacted me regarding the status of the Yellow BRZ.

He said: "John I just got off the phone with my Subaru rep to get an eta and unfortunately we found out today that we will not be getting the yellow special edition brz but we do have a black brz on its way. I would like to apologize about the unfortunate situation. You can come get your check we can mail it to you or you can put it as a deposit on the black one we are getting"

Replied to him saying: "That's unfortunate. I was hoping you guys would get one. Do you know what dealers will be getting one? It would be nice to know which are getting them. Because at the moment the Yellow is honestly all I want. Do you mind figuring out for me which dealerships will be getting them? That would be much appreciated Justin."

He hasn't replied to me yet, but it looks like I'm going to have to look around!
BboyRuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #473
Tcoat

Quote:
It's a passive system though? The damper doesn't know when you're trying to drive normal or hard, it just knows shaft speed and wheel displacement. Either way, I'm not trying to debate the value of the PP, because it is a great value, just curious about the specs of what is delivered. For $1100, which includes wheels and 4-wheel BBK, it's hard for me to imagine these shocks are anywhere near an Ohlins. Just too much stuff for too little money, the cynic in me can't believe it's true!
It is all in how hard you bounce! They are not CDC struts but they are about as good as you are ever going to see on a sub $50K car. Every bit as good as a basic Ohlins (of course if you get up into the high level stuff you are comparing apples to watermelons).
Quite frankly I don't know how they pulled off that price point for the whole package.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #474
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyRuda View Post
Going a little bit off topic here.. but my salesman just contacted me regarding the status of the Yellow BRZ.

He said: "John I just got off the phone with my Subaru rep to get an eta and unfortunately we found out today that we will not be getting the yellow special edition brz but we do have a black brz on its way. I would like to apologize about the unfortunate situation. You can come get your check we can mail it to you or you can put it as a deposit on the black one we are getting"

Replied to him saying: "That's unfortunate. I was hoping you guys would get one. Do you know what dealers will be getting one? It would be nice to know which are getting them. Because at the moment the Yellow is honestly all I want. Do you mind figuring out for me which dealerships will be getting them? That would be much appreciated Justin."

He hasn't replied to me yet, but it looks like I'm going to have to look around!
Don't waste any time before you start looking. With the limited number made it could be hard getting one. I would give SOA a call directly and see if they will help.
BboyRuda (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #475
BboyRuda

Drives: Series.Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Don't waste any time before you start looking. With the limited number made it could be hard getting one. I would give SOA a call directly and see if they will help.

Do you know their number?
BboyRuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #476
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyRuda View Post
Do you know their number?
Call Us