follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
BRZlimited

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question My car was dubbed "highly modified" by my dealer...

So I took my BRZ in for and oil change and for a few small issues such as: Driver window squeaks going up and down (only when closing the and opening the door, not when opening and closing the window), door seal between the triangle window and the cars body is cracking, passenger side window is getting scratched from the two vertical rectangles on the window, and third time bringing in the car for crickets. Well service manager comes up to me and says that the car is "highly modified" so many things may not be covered under the warranty...WHAT???????? All my car has is a Takeda intake with resonator delete, perrin exhaust tips (stock exhaust), tinted windows, spyder tail lights, STi Front lip and body kit, and Perrin shorty antenna. How is this enough to dub my car as "highly modified" and how does it affect the parts that have issues when most mods are cosmetic...I may have to call their corporate office.
BRZlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZlimited For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (03-13-2014), ZionsWrath (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Unfortunately this is what too many Subaru dealers are doing.

I have been buying Toyota's for years and know my dealers around me which is why I chose an FR-S.

Call corporate and report them and then find another dealer to go to. Regardless of whether they will perform warranty work on your car or not you dont want a dealer like that touching your car.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZlimited View Post
So I took my BRZ in for and oil change and for a few small issues such as: Driver window squeaks going up and down (only when closing the and opening the door, not when opening and closing the window), door seal between the triangle window and the cars body is cracking, passenger side window is getting scratched from the two vertical rectangles on the window, and third time bringing in the car for crickets. Well service manager comes up to me and says that the car is "highly modified" so many things may not be covered under the warranty...WHAT???????? All my car has is a Takeda intake with resonator delete, perrin exhaust tips (stock exhaust), tinted windows, spyder tail lights, STi Front lip and body kit, and Perrin shorty antenna. How is this enough to dub my car as "highly modified" and how does it affect the parts that have issues when most mods are cosmetic...I may have to call their corporate office.
The only place i could see them beeing an ass, is over with the teinted window and anything relevant to the window warranty ( rubber seal and squeak)
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canu_50 For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Garage
Anytime a peon service writer says something like that, ask them for their factory rep's phone number and read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Knowledge is power, my friend.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
BRZlimited

Oh almost forgot, He also said that since its "highly modified that driving the car at Full throttle 100% all the time will cause damage". Excuse me? The car barley has 7,200 miles on it after owning it for 14 months as a DD it is rarely ever driven at full open throttle. I rarely ever go over 3,500 rpms...Extremely irritated right now and had to rant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZlimited For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (03-26-2014), ZionsWrath (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Garage
Quote:
Oh almost forgot, He also said that since its "highly modified that driving the car at Full throttle 100% all the time will cause damage". Excuse me? The car barley has 7,200 miles on it after owning it for 14 months as a DD it is rarely ever driven at full open throttle. I rarely ever go over 3,500 rpms...Extremely irritated right now and had to rant.
Guy sounds like a douchebag to me.. Maybe try another dealership. It doesn't hurt to find a service writer friend. 8 years in service/parts reinforced to me that it's "All who you know".. I know I could blow my engine tomorrow and my dealership would warranty it because I know everyone there and my local factory rep.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
lol @ mods that screw and/or tape on as being considered highly modified. The only thing that is really "modded" IMO would be the intake which has nothing to do with your complaints, rofl
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
hmmm cosmetic mods voiding warranty on non cosmetic parts....sounds legit!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
BRZlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream15 View Post
Guy sounds like a douchebag to me.. Maybe try another dealership. It doesn't hurt to find a service writer friend. 8 years in service/parts reinforced to me that it's "All who you know".. I know I could blow my engine tomorrow and my dealership would warranty it because I know everyone there and my local factory rep.
Yea he really is, this is the same guy that knew nothing about my car 4 months ago, or any on the lot. I had an issue with my drivers side puddle light (that still isn't fixed). He kept telling me well you know when you had your tail lights installed they tapped into the harness and shorted it out. (No tail lights were plug and play done by myself so I'd know how they are wired). So, then he told me it was when I got the HID head lights installed. (No again, those are stock and every BRZ on your lot has them). Once again he says its when I had the under dash glow installed they wired them into that harness (Once again no I did that my self so they are plugged into the outlet in the glove department). I finally lost the battle when he told me that some of the wires from my remote start were shorting it out and to get it fixed I would have to have my remote start uninstalled and re isntalled by the person that did it for me. Not worth my time getting that done.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yea he really is, this is the same guy that knew nothing about my car 4 months ago, or any on the lot. I had an issue with my drivers side puddle light (that still isn't fixed). He kept telling me well you know when you had your tail lights installed they tapped into the harness and shorted it out. (No tail lights were plug and play done by myself so I'd know how they are wired). So, then he told me it was when I got the HID head lights installed. (No again, those are stock and every BRZ on your lot has them). Once again he says its when I had the under dash glow installed they wired them into that harness (Once again no I did that my self so they are plugged into the outlet in the glove department). I finally lost the battle when he told me that some of the wires from my remote start were shorting it out and to get it fixed I would have to have my remote start uninstalled and re isntalled by the person that did it for me. Not worth my time getting that done.
I will tell him straight "you are fucking stupid" and see his boss to bitch
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There's a lot of ignorance in this thread. I think cooler heads will prevail... the last thing you want is to escalate this by telling the service people "I'm smarter than you because I know more about warranty law than you".

In the end, the fundamental argument is:

1) Will my mods impact warranty service?
2) If no to the above answer, warranty work = free labor for the dealership.

If you are being smart about this, you'd not freak out over one service writer's improper diagnosis. That person can BS all they want, it won't change facts.

This is all assuming you didn't flip out at the dealer.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (03-28-2014), humfrz (03-14-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
First I would have said thank you and considered that a complement with your mod list. I also agree that your window tint probably means they can refuse to warranty any work having to do with your windows squeaking.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
First I would have said thank you and considered that a complement with your mod list. I also agree that your window tint probably means they can refuse to warranty any work having to do with your windows squeaking.
not sure how, don't they come factory tinted?
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
stonewhite05

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have worked in the dealership world for a few years and unless they look into what is causing the problems and it is a result to your aftermarket part what they are doing is illegal.

There is something called the Magnuson-Moss act and it is something to research before modifying a car with a warranty. Here is a direct link
http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
stonewhite05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonewhite05 For This Useful Post:
xoxomichaela (03-13-2014)