follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
rokius

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Need some advice on driving 6MT

Alright, so it has been about a week since I bought my FR-S. This is my very first manual transmission car, and I am in the learning process. I think I've exhausted my resources on lessons (online), and would absolutely appreciate some advice from fellow FR-S drivers. Here it goes...

1) I'm having the most issues with slowing down and approaching/finishing a turn. Say I'm going 45mph, and need to slow down for a right-hand turn. What I've been doing is, from 5th, pushing in the clutch and apply the brakes and shifting into 2nd. Once I actually turn, I let the clutch out slowly and give some throttle to smooth out the turn. How do I downshift into 2nd and turn smoothly without having the clutch in DURING the turn? The way I'm currently doing it doesn't seem like the most efficient way.

2) I tend to ride the clutch a little when reversing to slowly back up. What's a more efficient way to reverse? Are the procedures different on an uphill driveway?

3) How do you go over speed bumps properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to hurt my car
rokius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
learn how to rev match... and heel toe downshifting...

You are supposed to be in gear during the turn, not with the clutch in
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You don't need to learn how to "rev match" or "heel toe". This is your first manual transmission, and it's a bit far-fetched/absurd to already be trying to rev match and heel-toe.

I've been teaching my 15yr old daughter (just turned 16), in her manual bug. She drives everywhere now, without any issues. We have hills every where we live, so it's a bit daunting at first. She has no idea what rev-matching or heel-toe is. So, don't worry about that quite yet.

For her, she learned to take a corner by slowing way down first (without downshifting). Just before the turn, you should be going plenty slow enough to downshift into 2nd. 2nd gear, around the majority of 90deg corners, is the gear you'll want to be in. I downshift occasionally, while other times...I just slow down enough until I can downshift to 2nd and make the corner. The key is to slow down enough, and downshift to 2nd before turning.

As for riding the clutch-
Depending on how slow you want to go...how much hill you have to climb...etc...you will be using your clutch a lot. If you ride dirt bikes, it should be very familiar with you. The clutch helps you control that power. It's the same when you're at a stop light with multiple vehicles in front of you. Slowly let the clutch out to help you inch forward a bit, push the clutch back in and brake to slow down.

For speedbumps, take these very very slow. Just like you do coming to a stop, slow way down. Use your clutch if you have to control the power again. You'll be very surprised how slow you can actually go and still let the clutch out in 2nd gear.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for some of this, but this is your first MT car. Just focus on using the clutch properly, making smooth shifts, etc... With my daughter, we went out driving every night while she had her permit for a good month. She picked up on it pretty quickly.

Best of luck.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
4Running Daily (06-04-2013), AZOOZ_95 (06-04-2013), CamryDS (06-04-2013), CBR600RR (06-03-2013), cfusionpm (06-03-2013), Chef (06-04-2013), DatDudeLoso (06-04-2013), dun3 (06-05-2013), Enraged21 (06-04-2013), FRyeS (06-03-2013), husker741 (06-03-2013), jacobzking (06-04-2013), lazyluka (06-04-2013), Marchy (06-05-2013), mkiisupra (06-03-2013), shellslinger (06-03-2013), shirker (06-03-2013), Tone (06-07-2013), Wattage (06-04-2013), whaap (06-04-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
shiud

Drives: 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I learned on my fr-s as well, but I picked it up pretty quick after a day or two. You don't want to go straight from 5th, ride the clutch, and shift to 2nd though. I would practice rev matching and downshifting. So in essence, you want to go from 5th, rev match, 4th, rev match, 3rd, rev match, 2nd, take the turn. You can pick up heel toe when you're comfortable rev matching.

Personally, I'm always on the clutch a little bit when going in reverse, mainly because I'm not going fast enough in reverse to fully let the clutch out.

As for speed bumps, it depends on how much of a bump it is. Some I can take in 2nd, but others I almost come to a stop, shift down to first and get myself over. Keep in mind you should NEVER downshift to 1st unless you're practically stopped. I think the gearbox locks you out of 1st if you're moving too quickly.
shiud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
FRyeS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt 6MT
what he said (TemeCal).. gotta crawl before you walk.
FRyeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
ZXTT95

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
...downshift to 2nd before turning.
Agree with this. You should be done with your shift before you start turning the wheel. Keep it simple and go straight from whatever gear to 2nd.
ZXTT95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
rokius

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S
Thank you very much for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXTT95 View Post
Agree with this. You should be done with your shift before you start turning the wheel. Keep it simple and go straight from whatever gear to 2nd.
So once I'm moving slow enough and shift into 2nd just before the turn, what kind of clutch activity am I looking for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
rokius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
enouf
Mr. Grumpy

Drives: 86 GT, Fuji Red, MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
For taking 90 degree turns, I too clutch in and then let it out after the turn. When I put it in 2nd after the turn it can get jerky so I find 3rd is the smoothest as I seem to take corners pretty fast :P

If you're worried about being inefficient or wear on the throw out bearing, you could take the turn at whatever gear you're in, then just as you finish your turn shift to 2nd. I've done that a few times but still prefer clutch in during turn or heel toe to 3rd before the turn.

I know the correct way is to slow down enough to be in 2nd before the turn, but I personally don't want to slow down that much that someone might get real close to my rear. And also as before, I take corners a bit too fast for 2nd.

As for reversing, on level ground should only need the clutch. If there's a slope, there will be inevitable slippage as you balance the clutch and gas. The clutch is a consumable so don't worry too much wear from slipping at low speeds.

Speed bumps - clutch in while going over and shift to 2nd or slow down enough to be in 2nd before the bump.

I too am a first time MT driver so take my advice with a huge grain of salt.
enouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post

I'm sure I'll get flamed for some of this, but this is your first MT car. Just focus on using the clutch properly, making smooth shifts, etc... With my daughter, we went out driving every night while she had her permit for a good month. She picked up on it pretty quickly.

Best of luck.

+1000 to this!

Learn re-engagement after corner, with enough speed to cruise through corners for right now. There is plenty of room in that last statement for further instruction that is best done with an experienced co-driver, not forum boards, FWIW.

Don't sweat riding the clutch (as long as you are at full depress/disengagement and not riding on the clutch at the point where it just barely engages). There are not many clutches that are in need of just a new TO bearing. Listening to 20 years of Click-n-Clack have taught me that one is an old throwback driver's ed rule of thumb.
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
NetMagi

Drives: 13 Firestorm FR-S
how the heck are you supposed to slide the rear if the clutch is in on the corner. 2nd gear and power down !@!#@!#@!#!@#!@ yEHEH!!!!

sorry, ignore me. I had beer.

Past: 13 10-Series FR-S, 13 FR-S, 11 S4, 07 Corolla, 98 Tacoma 4WD, 03 Corolla, 89 Camry, 90 Celica GT-S, 87 Celica GT-S
NetMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetMagi For This Useful Post:
Derik210 (06-04-2013), Marchy (06-05-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
Lee358

Drives: nissan frontier, DGM MT BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I usually take turns in 3rd 2nd is too jerky even with a proper heal toe.. I find anything 15mph and above 3rd works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When going very slow, like creeping into or backing out of a parking space, you have to ride the clutch. But since you are not applying much power at that point, it is really just a matter of controlled coasting.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiud View Post
I learned on my fr-s as well, but I picked it up pretty quick after a day or two. You don't want to go straight from 5th, ride the clutch, and shift to 2nd though. I would practice rev matching and downshifting. So in essence, you want to go from 5th, rev match, 4th, rev match, 3rd, rev match, 2nd, take the turn. You can pick up heel toe when you're comfortable rev matching.
Nothing says you have to down shift thru every gear. If you're planning to take a corner up ahead in 2nd there's nothing wrong with letting the car slow down with your engine braking and rev match into 4th and continue to slow down with engine braking and rev match into 2nd before making the corner. Heel and toe is something to worry about only if you're hot for racing. It's something I know how to do but I can't recall the last time I ever did it.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
Takuro

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiud View Post

Personally, I'm always on the clutch a little bit when going in reverse, mainly because I'm not going fast enough in reverse to fully let the clutch out.

As for speed bumps, it depends on how much of a bump it is. Some I can take in 2nd, but others I almost come to a stop, shift down to first and get myself over. Keep in mind you should NEVER downshift to 1st unless you're practically stopped. I think the gearbox locks you out of 1st if you're moving too quickly.
Wayyy to tedious to run down the gears like that for the 100-200 ft of braking before a turn, but it's not a bad idea for practicing heel-toe. Personally, I just stay in gear, clutch/slow down (either order), turn, shift to 2nd or 3rd depending on speed, and let off the clutch.

If you want to do rev matching: brake/clutch down to decelerate, shift into 2nd or 3rd, blip the throttle/accelerator pedal (heel toe), and let off the clutch while simultaneously braking, and turn. You don't have to go down the gears in order. Just make sure that you're speed (both RPM/engine speed and wheel speed) match or else you'll jerk the car/slip the clutch.
Takuro is offline   Reply With Quote