follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #15
EdBoy
Driver

Drives: 16 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd go with q300 if you want quiet exhaust besides stock one.
Another option i'd go with is the hks legamax premium. I've had it for a few months now and its pretty quiet until you go wot in the upper end.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Ace LG90, or keep the stock catback. I love mine.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:03 AM   #17
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This recommendation is expensive, but in the interest of covering all the options... here is my post from my other thread:

----------

This is long overdue, as I'd never gotten around to it, and several people had asked for it. As with any exhaust video, it'll sound like complete crap without headphones.

This is what the Fujitsubo Authorize R Catback sounds like on an otherwise stock engine/exhaust setup. This is one of the quietest catbacks you can buy for this car. Its purpose is to give you a deeper, more aggressive, and actually audible exhaust note, but without being too "LOOK AT ME!" about it. I liken it to more of a "what the car should have sounded like stock" kind of exhaust. There is no drone at any speed in the cabin, and it more-or-less disappears when you're cruising. Under throttle and engine braking, it makes enough noise to be enjoyable, but without being unreasonable considering the car it is attached to.

It's really hard to find a quiet, empty road in the Chicago area - this was a quiet, if short, stretch of road I finally found. Sorry for the cicadas, and also for the right-biased audio (hung the stereo microphone poorly.)

I'm sure this will interest all of 7 people, since 99% of Twin owners require their exhaust to be at LEAST as loud and obnoxious as the most riced-out Honda, lol.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42PUkQO6Tdw[/ame]

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
imprezive (05-24-2019), Tristor (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 AM   #18
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
This recommendation is expensive, but in the interest of covering all the options... here is my post from my other thread:

That does sound basically right on the money for what I'm looking for. That said... boy is that pricey. It's in consideration though, my budget is relatively open but I have to evaluate whether those dollars are better spent elsewhere. I think that + an ACE header and tuning out the cold start would be a nice setup.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #19
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
In the last part of the video it sounds a bit raspy at WOT, but I find that videos are hard to judge the sound by. Is there any rasp to it? Otherwise I kind of like that, although I think it is likely quite a bit louder than I might want. Personally I like a nice loud exhaust... but unfortunately I also have to respect others in my living situation.
I don't notice any rasp or drone. It is almost completely quiet on the highway and in the city until I push the throttle. At 25 mph and less than 2000 RPM in the neighborhood my exhaust is not even noticeable.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #20
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
That does sound basically right on the money for what I'm looking for. That said... boy is that pricey. It's in consideration though, my budget is relatively open but I have to evaluate whether those dollars are better spent elsewhere. I think that + an ACE header and tuning out the cold start would be a nice setup.
I don't disagree. If you're looking to tune the car anyway, getting rid of the cold start will be a good option. This exhaust is quiet, but the cold start is still loud.

Or get both so I can hear what an ACE header will sound like with my catback, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #21
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoy View Post
I'd go with q300 if you want quiet exhaust besides stock one.
Another option i'd go with is the hks legamax premium. I've had it for a few months now and its pretty quiet until you go wot in the upper end.

ACE CSG Laguna Seca 90db is quieter than the Q300. It passes the 90db test with an ACE header and catless front pipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
Jrdad

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6M Argento
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The ACE Laguna 90 and CSG MXP Touring86 are the two quietest catbacks and the only ones to pass at Laguna Seca with a full catless set up.

I have the touring86 and love it.
Jrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrdad For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post

----------

This is long overdue, as I'd never gotten around to it, and several people had asked for it. As with any exhaust video, it'll sound like complete crap without headphones.

This is what the Fujitsubo Authorize R Catback sounds like on an otherwise stock engine/exhaust setup. This is one of the quietest catbacks you can buy for this car. Its purpose is to give you a deeper, more aggressive, and actually audible exhaust note, but without being too "LOOK AT ME!" about it. I liken it to more of a "what the car should have sounded like stock" kind of exhaust. There is no drone at any speed in the cabin, and it more-or-less disappears when you're cruising. Under throttle and engine braking, it makes enough noise to be enjoyable, but without being unreasonable considering the car it is attached to.

It's really hard to find a quiet, empty road in the Chicago area - this was a quiet, if short, stretch of road I finally found. Sorry for the cicadas, and also for the right-biased audio (hung the stereo microphone poorly.)

I'm sure this will interest all of 7 people, since 99% of Twin owners require their exhaust to be at LEAST as loud and obnoxious as the most riced-out Honda, lol.

That certainly sounds nice. But it doesn't help the OP wants something to go with Ace 350 headers. Most aftermarket exhausts sound good with the stock headers & FP in place. I wish more companies would post their videos with a full exhaust setup.
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #24
SaulSNES

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I have to be running one of the quietest ACE 350 setups out there for our cars, so quiet that im currently tempted to switch to the CSGxMXP catback or an HKS Hi-Power just to drone out some of the gear chatter im experiencing now after doing a flywheel+one piece driveshaft. Im running the following:

- ACE 350 Header
- HKS Dual Resonated front pipe
- Fujitsubo Authorize S axleback
- Stock pipe between catback and front pipe

Ill take a video for you when I head out to lunch so you have a better idea of just how silent you can get your car to sound. Unless i'm under heavy load, the car practically sounds stock! and again, on an ACE 350!

Last edited by SaulSNES; 07-31-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: the S model is an axleback, not catback
SaulSNES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SaulSNES For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #25
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
That certainly sounds nice. But it doesn't help the OP wants something to go with Ace 350 headers. Most aftermarket exhausts sound good with the stock headers & FP in place. I wish more companies would post their videos with a full exhaust setup.
I don't disagree with you. Still, it is a quiet exhaust to start with, so I assume it'll be quieter with the header than other exhausts. But I really wish I could find a video of this exhaust with the ACE 350. @SaulSNES was SO CLOSE to a good comparison, but he has the S exhaust, not the R. Damn, you Saul!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
N1rve (07-31-2018), SuperTom (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
canyons

Drives: 2013 Supercharged BRZ, E85, Ohlins
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The Megan Racing 'black series' I am running is pretty quiet. it's growls a bit when cold but is relatively discreet and 'grown up'.
Useful if your neighbors or local cops don't tolerate loud exhaust noise.

Clip here (not my car but that's the sound):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5f1cyexpXw[/ame]
canyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulSNES View Post
So I have to be running one of the quietest ACE 350 setups out there for our cars, so quiet that im currently tempted to switch to the CSGxMXP catback or an HKS Hi-Power just to drone out some of the gear chatter im experiencing now after doing a flywheel+one piece driveshaft. Im running the following:

- ACE 350 Header
- Fujitsubo Authorize S catback

Ill take a video for you when I head out to lunch so you have a better idea of just how silent you can get your car to sound. Unless i'm under heavy load, the car practically sounds stock! and again, on an ACE 350!

That sounds very interesting to me. I look forward to your video. Did you also tune out your cold start?
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #28
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulSNES View Post

- ACE 350 Header
- Fujitsubo Authorize S catback

So the Fujitsubo is only a axle back if you have the stock midpipe in still?

HKS Dual resonated piece is great for free flow with sound reduction. Ive since added a high flow cat back into the frontpipe since having no cat in the Ace headers had a bad smell
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote