follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
BXRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ Sport-Tech [WRB]
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Parking Brake Rattle | 2017 BRZ

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone could help with the below:

- I own a 2017 BRZ Sport-tech and I seem to have a problem with the parking brake assembly. Car has been at dealership for several visits but dealership is unable to resolve the issue so far.

- issue is there's a metallic rattle once I go over road imperfections or manholes that can be hear on either side when the windows are down.

- dealership isolated to parking brake assembly because once the parking brake is pulled slightly, the rattle is no longer present. They said tightening the cable is not a "long term solution" - they replaced some parts, but have not resolved it fully...

- issue has been present since day 1, car bought new, and is stock including tires.

Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue... rattle sounds really irritating especially when windows are down during the summer...

Thank you!
BXRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello BXRZ, congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to … The Forum .

As far as I recollect, the parking brake rattling, is a new rattle in the FR-S/BRZ, to me at least.

Where is the sound coming from (inside of the car or outside of the car?)

Maybe the rattle is coming from something else (like a shield under the car) and the parking brake is getting the rap?

So, if you are driving down the road and the rattle starts and you gently lift up on the emergency brake handle .. the rattle stops?

Come back.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
BXRZ

Thanks for the reply! I actually have owned the car for 9 months now and the sound was happening since day 1.

I figured it's new to this forum because I searched a lot and didn't see a relevant issue...

Sound comes from outside the car and you can hear it when Windows are down.

Dealer spent several weeks inspecting and diagnosing but they eventually pin pointed it to parking brake. It feels like the e-brake shoes are loose type of rattle but they were tight and related near by parts..

Yes the sound goes away if you pull the handbrake slightly..

They say tightening the wire is not a proper solution so they keep trying things but I've lost hope..

Rattle is very specific to when you go over wide enough road cracks or harsh imperfections.. manholes or minor road two-level cracks are easiest way to repro. It's a very audible, "firm" metallic sound.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello BXRZ, congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to … The Forum .

As far as I recollect, the parking brake rattling, is a new rattle in the FR-S/BRZ, to me at least.

Where is the sound coming from (inside of the car or outside of the car?)

Maybe the rattle is coming from something else (like a shield under the car) and the parking brake is getting the rap?

So, if you are driving down the road and the rattle starts and you gently lift up on the emergency brake handle .. the rattle stops?

Come back.

humfrz

Last edited by BXRZ; 06-26-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:19 AM   #4
humfrz

Well, now, BXRZ, I just don't know for sure.

If the rattle goes away when the emergency brake is tightened up, it sure would seem that that system has something to do with the problem.

The emergency braking system on these cars is simply a lever hooked to a set of cables that run to a set of brake shoes that expand against a set of drums on the rear wheels.

Here is my WAG. The cables that go to the back are held in place by a series of clamps. If one or more of the clamps are lose or missing, it may allow the cable to rattle against something and it would quit when the cable is under tension.

Now, back-in-the-day, I would have gone out to my garage, slid under my car and would have attempted to verify my suspicion. However, today, I can't slide under my car because it's too low and I wouldn't try it anyway because I don't bend that way anymore.

I do hope you get it sorted out. Hopefully, others will come along with a potential solution. Please keep us posted.

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
BXRZ

Quote:
Well, now, BXRZ, I just don't know for sure.

If the rattle goes away when the emergency brake is tightened up, it sure would seem that that system has something to do with the problem.

The emergency braking system on these cars is simply a lever hooked to a set of cables that run to a set of brake shoes that expand against a set of drums on the rear wheels.

Here is my WAG. The cables that go to the back are held in place by a series of clamps. If one or more of the clamps are lose or missing, it may allow the cable to rattle against something and it would quit when the cable is under tension.

Now, back-in-the-day, I would have gone out to my garage, slid under my car and would have attempted to verify my suspicion. However, today, I can't slide under my car because it's too low and I wouldn't try it anyway because I don't bend that way anymore.

I do hope you get it sorted out. Hopefully, others will come along with a potential solution. Please keep us posted.

humfrz
Thank you for your responses humfrz. Appreciate it.

I know it's been a very frustrating journey for me too because at one point the car was at the dealership for 5 weeks and they thought they fixed it but no luck.

I hope someone out there has had the issue is happens to be on this forum..

Thanks

Sent with OnePlus6 via Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to BXRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXRZ View Post
Thank you for your responses humfrz. Appreciate it.

I know it's been a very frustrating journey for me too because at one point the car was at the dealership for 5 weeks and they thought they fixed it but no luck.

I hope someone out there has had the issue is happens to be on this forum..

Thanks

I asked Bubba what he would do.

He said he would put the car up on a rack (with a person in the drivers seat) and have another person pound around with a rubber hammer underneath the car in the areas of where any part of the emergency braking system is located.

Then, if the rattle is duplicated, set the emergency brake and make the association as to where the hammer hits and where the noise is coming from.

humfrz
Old 06-27-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
BXRZ

Quote:
I asked Bubba what he would do.

He said he would put the car up on a rack (with a person in the drivers seat) and have another person pound around with a rubber hammer underneath the car in the areas of where any part of the emergency braking system is located.

Then, if the rattle is duplicated, set the emergency brake and make the association as to where the hammer hits and where the noise is coming from.

humfrz
Sounds like a good idea - no access to rack but I'll recommend this to dealer, maybe offer to help them somehow..

These one off issues have to the worst because solution can seem like forever..

Thanks humfrz... Still crossing my fingers for someone with same issue to see this post..

Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXRZ View Post
Sounds like a good idea - no access to rack but I'll recommend this to dealer, maybe offer to help them somehow..

These one off issues have to the worst because solution can seem like forever..

Thanks humfrz... Still crossing my fingers for someone with same issue to see this post..

The forum is a bit slow this week, usually dozens of people would have offered suggestions...

Keep us posted.

humfrz