follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge

Off-Topic Lounge For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,243 Times in 704 Posts
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Loud noises are fun

Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
korhun (07-21-2019), Ultramaroon (01-22-2016), wireman957 (01-30-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 AM   #16
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would take a pic of my guitar collection but I have no clue how to do that. Seems like every pic I try is either too big or not the right kind. IE see my avatar, its all blury

Peavey Patriot US - 1983
Hondo Electric - Probably 80s
Austin Acoustic guessing its 1970s
Washburn Acoustic its a few years old
Fender Strat MIM
An old Harmony Im rebuilding the bridge and saddle
And I just got a new Ibanez RG

You'll like the MIM Fender, won't play as well as a traditional standard but it plays pretty damn good and it has sweet classic Fender tones. My next will most likely be a standard Stratocaster
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
Decay107 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #18
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 801 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Loud noises are fun

Is that.... a mandolin?
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,243 Times in 704 Posts
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Is that.... a mandolin?
That is indeed a mandolin, a ukulele next to it, and a banjo out of frame.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #20
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post

He prefers guitar heros!
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post

He prefers guitar heros!
If you mean the game, then no. If you mean actual "guitar heroes"... then, well, maybe, yes. I love me some prog rock and prog metal.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #22
FT86wannabe

Drives: FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It was my hobby back in the days. I even had a group. We were playing different covers. I thought I'd be a superstar. But time zips along and now I here known by none. But not a big deal c: My current hobby is astronomy and I consider myself as an amateur. I don't seek for more. I know the very basics of it all. I can tell you general info about the Sun like here https://solarstory.net/objects/sun but when it comes to the Universe evolution I skip this question.
FT86wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #23
Stephen W.

Drives: 2006 WRB STi / 2018 CBS BRZ tS
I played bass in a band with a group of school friends. Our biggest claim to fame was opening for Wednesday, (before they changed their name to Wenzday) whos drummer, Randy Begg was a cousin of our drummer. In fact we played in place of them a couple of times when they had double booked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wednesday_(band)
Marriage, kids, jobs and life in general meant the only time I saw my guitars was when I took them out of the closet. And that was usually only due to a move. One July day back in 2004 while listening to a local radio station I heard an ad for an upcoming event, the Canadian Guitar Festival. It sounded like something Id be interested in so I ordered a weekend pass and have only missed one year since. (I even entered the competition 3 or 4 times.)
http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/
With the kids grown up I found myself pulling out the guitars and trying to relearn all I had forgotten. I became very active in the Finger Style community and even joined the Harp Guitar Society. That lasted for over a dozen years. However, in the last three years arthritis pain, pinched nerves and a general lack of interest (mental state) has left a thick coat of dust on my guitars. I doubt Ill ever play another note.
A friend used one of my tunes for a test drone video.
https://youtu.be/s0yUfpTsYCo

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #24
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tried to. Bought a drum kit when I was 17 or so and my mom burst into tears when she saw it. Then 3 neighbours complained simultaneously about noise so I had to sell it and bought an electronic drum kit. The downstairs neighbour still complained about the pedal and I gave up and got rid of it and that was that. A brief stint with a guitar followed a similar fate
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #25
Sapphireho
Famous Potatoes

Drives: '15 JRSC twin, '06 Exige, '77 911s
Thanked 6,637 Times in 3,744 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
In my youth I played the guitar, violin, clarinet, and trumpet. Can't play any of them now. Still have the clarinet, which was my Dads. A real one made from African black wood and German sterling silver. I had it restored a few years back.

A couple years ago I bought harmonica sets for me and my youngest son. He plays his daily and is getting pretty good. Me, not so much.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #26
aoVI

Drives: 2019 CWP MT BRZ Ltd
Necro, but...

One of my degrees is in Recording Engineering, and I played in a band in the 80's. I don't do it professionally now, as the road of life had some turns in it.

I do still compose at home, as well as design album covers.

Home Studio late 90's: VS880 based with iMac (233mHz, 128 MB Ram)

Current setup: Studio One based, running on an i7 8770K (5.1gHz, 32G Ram)

The current pic is a couple of years old, thats the old i7 920 PC, which ran ProTools. Both keyboard trays retract out of the way when not in use.
I hand built both the desks.
aoVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 AM   #27
korhun

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I used to. Did not do anything after I married. Played some piano, guitar. Was in the school band, trying to play trumpet. It was really fun. Its such a noisy thing..

But I've always loved playing this:

and annoying everybody around Actually I still do it, but my kids are now better on the annoying process than me.
korhun is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
aoVI (07-21-2019), MuseChaser (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #28
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,554 Times in 729 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I'm a professional violinist and jazz pianist. Was driving home from a gig a few days ago with a good friend who is THE first-call lead trumpeter in the area...a phenomenal player and person. He studied w/ the late great Ray Crisara, and was one of his favorite students. Ray was THE studio player in NY, but got so disgusted by the increasing reliance on technology rather than musicianship in the studios that he split and left to teach in Texas. My friend and I were discussing the state of music today, and he quoted Ray as having said, "Anything you hear on a recording today never happened."

Making music, to me, meant decades of hours of daily practice and a lifetime of commitment and dedication. My choice, and I'm not suggesting the level of commitment need be that high in order to enjoy making music as a hobby. The fact that it's my profession doesn't mean that I'm not an amateur....one who does something for the love of it. I can't call it a hobby because it's more important than that to me, but I'd certainly continue doing it if it wasn't also my profession.
"Making music," to me, means learning how to play a specific instrument to a certain degree of proficiency, at least well enough to for you and others to enjoy and be moved by the sounds you produce. Sitting at a computer combining loops and samples, cutting, pasting, shifting, autocorrecting timing and pitch.....that's programming, not making or playing music. It doesn't make you a musician any more than microwaving a TV dinner makes you a chef...of any caliber.

There's a reason guitar, bass, and drums are pretty much the only things mentioned by the general populace anymore, other than singing, samples, and DAWS (Oh, My!)...they're the easiest instruments to learn to quickly get to the point where you CAN make sounds similar to the folks or bands you're trying to cover, or play for yourself or friends without making them cringe. That and, except for the proliferation of synthetic sounds these days,, those instruments are about the only thing anyone ever hears anymore in 99% of popular music. Ask a kid if they'd like to pkay cello or trombone...they won't even know what those are anymore.
There are WONDERFUL, amazing, extremely skilled and musical guitarists, bassists, and drummers out there... I'm not putting those instruments down or belittling the dedication it takes to truly master them. Only saying that the beginning stages aren't as long and painful as most instruments.

Yeah, it's a soapbox of mine. Yes, I'm a musical snob. Yes, I DO think that there is an art to creating involving soundscapes through computer programming, and an art to making poor musicians and terrible players and singers sound good in a studio, and that those programmers and engineers are artists too... they're just not musicians, nor are they making music. They are manipulating sound. To me, and to many others, that is an important distinction. Even among great professional instrumental musicians, however, there are folks who don't share my view and who embrace and rely on technology a great deal. I recognize that my thoughts are opinion and not shared by everyone. However you approach your music, or whatever music means to you, it's still way better than watching TV. Do your best work, and listen to your Muse,
aoVI (07-21-2019), FR-S.13 (07-21-2019), korhun (07-21-2019)