follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #253
mroberge7@gmail.com

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ INAZUMA EDITION
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM Audio review

I have been on the fence for about a year but I finally took the plunge and ordered the reference 500Q for my 2017 brz. I am from Canada so the extra 30% exchange and shipping put the system at just over 2k which is more money than I spent on any sound system.

After about a month wait I was so excited to install it. But when I opened the box a few part critical to the install were missing. I called OEM Audio and Daniel was very apologetic and we went through the list of what was missing so I had to wait another week for the parts to arrive unfortunately.

I read the instructions and watched the YouTube video a number of times. they are very clear and simple to follow. The install took me about 4 hrs with no issues except lining up the sub to the speed nuts. The sub input and power wires can be hard to insert but if your patient and can see ok its doable. I removed the amp mounting plate from the sub to plug in all the wires then bolted it back onto the sub.

Then i go to fire up my system and it was a total bust. The sub was not firing and the other speakers sounded very weak. I unbolted the sub to see what I messed up I checked the harness it was installed properly. I couldn’t see too much as the amps are tucked in pretty tight. I then unbolted the amps from the sub and saw the sub amp was not turning on. I checked to see in it was getting power which it was. I also noticed that the sub amp was not wired to the sub. Stupid me thought it was hardwired and the 2 large speaker plugs on the back of the sub were for add ons down the road. So I called Daniel again he was very confused as to what was going on , he said the sub input wires plugs are usually attached as it’s used to test the system. After running me through some trouble shooting on the sub amp failure to turn on and the main amp not working properly it was decided to send the amps back to OEM Audio

I mailed it off and had to wait another 2 weeks to receive the replacement amps. On arrival day I plugged them in super excited to finally hear what everyone praises as the best sound in a box for our cars and ...... the same issue of the sub amp not working!!!! How could this happen? Wtf so I called Daniel again he was extremely apologetic again and said he was confident the harness was fine but they had a bad batch of Dsp amps not sending outputs properly so the sub amp won’t turn on. So they will send me out another set of amps immediately. I received the 2nd replacement amp today after another weeks wait and after my first road trip of the year unfortunately

I was still excited to finally see if all this aggravation was worth almost 3 months of waiting after spending 2k up front. So was the aggravation worth it in the end... all I can say was when it started up even my wife was blown away at how good it sounded. All the reviews out there are true. It is so much better than the stock system. The adjuster for the amount of bass for the sub is very sensitive and really only needs a tiny movement to make the bass change so it should suit all users.

In conclusion was it all worth it ? I am a patient man I work in maintenance I understand shit happens and rushing to fix a previous wrong sometimes makes it worse. Better to take the time to test and investigate what failed and test the new replacement before sending it out would have saved a lot of grief in my opinion. That said the system is built well installs fairly easy and sound so much better than stock so I have to say yes. Even with my issues the customer support was amazing. Two thumbs up.
mroberge7@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mroberge7@gmail.com For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (09-17-2018), JakeRogue (05-15-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #254
2Wavy

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Does the gain control knob only come with the Reference 500Q or also with the System 500Q?

Also is the only difference between the Reference and System the 6 replacement speakers? Or are there more differences?
2Wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #255
oemaudioplus

Drives: http://bit.ly/Vantage86
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wavy View Post
Does the gain control knob only come with the Reference 500Q or also with the System 500Q?

Also is the only difference between the Reference and System the 6 replacement speakers? Or are there more differences?
Sorry for the DELAYED response... (going to have to check on whats happening with our notifications).

YES! For a limited time: The NEW 500Q Series (System or Reference) comes with our Dedicated Subwoofer Amplifier (with Gain Control Knob). This option allows our listeners to have precision adjustably that ranges from Balance to Full to Robust Subwoofer outpu. So no mater the type of listener you are, we can accommodate with this solution.

As you noted, the key difference between the two (2) configurations we offer is our replacement upgraded speakers. You can expect our signature sound with both the System and Reference Series. The Reference 500Q provides superior dynamics, blending and low frequency response as a result of the robust engineering and frequency response of our Speakers. If you opt to go with the System Series, you can always upgrade to the Reference Speaker Package down the line.
oemaudioplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #256
czechm8

Drives: Series 10 Fr-s #520
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If I have the older Reference series and a three-way tune, can the gain control be added?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
Sorry for the DELAYED response... (going to have to check on whats happening with our notifications).

YES! For a limited time: The NEW 500Q Series (System or Reference) comes with our Dedicated Subwoofer Amplifier (with Gain Control Knob). This option allows our listeners to have precision adjustably that ranges from Balance to Full to Robust Subwoofer outpu. So no mater the type of listener you are, we can accommodate with this solution.

As you noted, the key difference between the two (2) configurations we offer is our replacement upgraded speakers. You can expect our signature sound with both the System and Reference Series. The Reference 500Q provides superior dynamics, blending and low frequency response as a result of the robust engineering and frequency response of our Speakers. If you opt to go with the System Series, you can always upgrade to the Reference Speaker Package down the line.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #257
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechm8 View Post
If I have the older Reference series and a three-way tune, can the gain control be added?
@czechm8 Thank you for your message. We are working on an upgrade pathway for previous generation owners to provide this next generation of adjustability. Stay tuned!
Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #258
improvius

Drives: 2017 series.yellow BRZ, 2015 X1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's been over a month since we ordered our kit. Our local installer has been unable to get them to return calls. I tried emailing them but did not receive any response. At this point I have no idea if we'll ever receive the kit. It's safe to say that the installer will never recommend or want to work with them again.
improvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #259
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
I tried emailing them but did not receive any response.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It’s very rare for us to not reply to an email or phone call within 24 hours. Please send us a direct message through the forum and/or an email to experience@oemaudioplus.com with your order information and we WILL get to the bottom of this!!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #260
JakeRogue

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
It's been over a month since we ordered our kit. Our local installer has been unable to get them to return calls. I tried emailing them but did not receive any response. At this point I have no idea if we'll ever receive the kit. It's safe to say that the installer will never recommend or want to work with them again.

Very unusual. They have always been extremely responsive to my and many other’s knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JakeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeRogue For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (09-08-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #261
improvius

Drives: 2017 series.yellow BRZ, 2015 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRogue View Post
Very unusual. They have always been extremely responsive to my and many other’s knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been in contact with them since posting here. I'll post another update once everything is resolved.
improvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #262
JohnCrichton

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 2017 Miata RF
I'm an inch away from ordering the 500Q, my only issue is the headunit. My OEM headunit is actually damaged, half the touchscreen doesn't respond, so I either need to buy one of the Pioneer's they have options for or somehow integrate the Alpine I pulled from my Altima. At worst I'd pay up for a Pioneer, they look nice and all, but I hate the headunit the 2013 BRZ comes with, it's way too much of a downgrade from the Alpine W525HD I already have to spend money on a working one.

I submitted a question about this on their site, hoping for the best. Anyone else running something other than an OEM headunit?

Last setup was that Alpine headunit feeding to a H701 processor, then to a horrifying mix of Type-X and Scan-Speak speakers and amps that shined individually, but were a pain to balance and I was never happy with it. Partly why I just want to start over with something that looks this simple.
JohnCrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnCrichton For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (11-21-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #263
sgh

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS 1.0
I have the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX and don't recommend it at all.

I had it on my OEM Audio Plus setup for a few weeks before I pulled all the OEM Audio Plus gear out of my car (I found the sound quality pretty poor - comments in another post). The AVIC-8200NEX is still hooked up and is still horrible (performance wise - the sound quality is much better).

The only reason I haven't pulled it out and thrown it in the trash is that I haven't been driving my FRS much at all anymore - once or twice a month. Whenever I do though, it drives me insane. I have to plug in / unplug my phone multiple times before CarPlay works and sometimes I have to go so far as to completely shut the car off and turn it back on to make it work.

If I had to do it over again, or if I was driving my FRS a lot, I would definitely switch to something else.
sgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #264
Thaeyo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I have been in contact with them since posting here. I'll post another update once everything is resolved.
They haven't responded to me in months so, you got it good.
Thaeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #265
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeyo View Post
They haven't responded to me in months so, you got it good.
Sorry to heat this. We strive to reply to any correspondence within 24 hours. Please try contacting us directly at (855) 636-6346 x 4 and/or experience@oemaudioplus.com

You can also send us a direct message through the forums if easier for you.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #266
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrichton View Post
Integrate the Alpine I pulled from my Altima. At worst I'd pay up for a Pioneer, they look nice and all, but I hate the headunit the 2013 BRZ comes with, it's way too much of a downgrade from the Alpine W525HD I already have to spend money on a working one.
Thanks for confirming compatibility John. Our team can make previsions for your Alpine head unit and tune your 500Q Sound Solution based on the output characteristics of your preferred head unit. Installation will remain completely plug-n-play with the appropriate receiver adapter for your new head unit (let us know if you need help identifying this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh View Post
I had it on my OEM Audio Plus setup for a few weeks before I pulled all the OEM Audio Plus gear out of my car
Thanks for your feedback @sgh regarding the Pioneer head unit. Likewise the notes regarding your O+ System. Did we have the opportunity to connect with you and review your installation and/or DSP Tuning prior to the removal of the System?

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer