follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shopping for a BRZ vs Miata RF, 370Z

Greetings all,

I'm shopping for my next 'fun' car, and recently test drove a BRZ for the first time, and was impressed! As others have commented, I liked the analog 'feel' of the car, the comfort, visibility, and build quality (though as others have also commented, wasn't blown away by the torque). I hadn't really thought much about the BRZ before, but we recently bought a Crosstrek for my wife, and I've been very impressed with how well-designed, well-engineered, and well-built that car is, which inspired me to check out a BRZ.

The other cars I'm considering are the 2019 Miata RF, and Nissan 370Z. I've read the comments people have made in the past about those two cars vs the BRZ, which were very interesting and helpful. I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent cross-shopping experiences and observations on those cars compared with the BRZ.

FWIW, I'm 'older', 60(ish), and have been a gear head my entire life, and have owned 105 cars over the past 45 years. My 'other' car is a 2015 Mustang GT (classic mid-life crisis car, and my first car was a Mustang). I'm looking to get something smaller, more 'sports' car than the Mustang.

The 2019 Miata RF was a blast to drive, faster than I expected. I like the sheer 'fun' aspect of the car, but am not sure how such a tiny car will feel on longer rides (I'm not 'small', at 6'0" and 200(ish) lbs). The 370Z has gobs of torque and power, I like the old-school feel of that car as well. But am not sure how the poor visibility and limited carrying capacity will be in the long run.

Any and all observations and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
If you daily drive it get the Z. I went from 911 Turbo to MX5 to FRS and personally, The FRS is the one I like the best. The 911 had gobs of power however you can't argue that a 2,700 lb car will be more engaging. It just depends on your priorities. The Mazda in stock form needs upgraded suspension it just had so damn much body roll
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Greetings all,

I'm shopping for my next 'fun' car, and recently test drove a BRZ for the first time, and was impressed! As others have commented, I liked the analog 'feel' of the car, the comfort, visibility, and build quality (though as others have also commented, wasn't blown away by the torque). I hadn't really thought much about the BRZ before, but we recently bought a Crosstrek for my wife, and I've been very impressed with how well-designed, well-engineered, and well-built that car is, which inspired me to check out a BRZ.

The other cars I'm considering are the 2019 Miata RF, and Nissan 370Z. I've read the comments people have made in the past about those two cars vs the BRZ, which were very interesting and helpful. I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent cross-shopping experiences and observations on those cars compared with the BRZ.

FWIW, I'm 'older', 60(ish), and have been a gear head my entire life, and have owned 105 cars over the past 45 years. My 'other' car is a 2015 Mustang GT (classic mid-life crisis car, and my first car was a Mustang). I'm looking to get something smaller, more 'sports' car than the Mustang.

The 2019 Miata RF was a blast to drive, faster than I expected. I like the sheer 'fun' aspect of the car, but am not sure how such a tiny car will feel on longer rides (I'm not 'small', at 6'0" and 200(ish) lbs). The 370Z has gobs of torque and power, I like the old-school feel of that car as well. But am not sure how the poor visibility and limited carrying capacity will be in the long run.

Any and all observations and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Hello AnalogMan and welcome to our forum -

I'm a previous owner of a Miata (NC) and have owned our FR-S for about five years now. When we had our NC Miata we were in our late 60s and traveled over 80,000 miles in that little puppy all over the Western parts of the US and Canada. I am just shy of 6' and just shy of 200 lbs. Mrs humfrz has, shall we say, a matronly build (.

Our adventures would last from one to three weeks. Yep, one must learn to pack light.

So, why did we trade in our NC for a FR-S? Well, mrs humfrz tired of the "roadster scene" (wind in the hair, sun beating down). Partially my fault, I never had since enough to put the top up .. 20 degrees F to 113 degrees F - no matter -

The FR-S/BRZ/86 is a bit quieter in the cabin on the long haul, it has a bit more "shoulder room" and a larger trunk space (and a spare tire). The downside is ...that the top won't go down ..

So, my take is, since you have a family vehicle and a go-fast car and you're looking for a sporty little car - if you want a roadster, get a Miata, if you want a coupe, get a FR-S/BRZ/Toyota 86.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), JohnJuan (01-17-2019), Vic4uf (05-28-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Cookefam314

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
+1 for the BRZ over your other options. I’m in my 50’s and I did the exact same comparison 2 years ago and chose the BRZ. It’s my daily driver year round and I love it, very happy with my choice.
Cookefam314 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookefam314 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), chaoskaze (01-06-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If you drive it like you stole it, (or is that just me), I would (did) go the 86, if you want to cruise with the roof down, the MX5, but, if you want a comfortable car that is much quieter inside than either the twin or MX5, plus a nice engine with lots of low down torque go the Z.

I have a 2017 Limited 86, if I was to upgrade today, a 370Z looks good inside and out.

Disclaimer: I'm only 53 years young (with the maturity of a 8yr old apparently, just ask the Minister of War and Finances)
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), Leonardo (01-08-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
A year ago I was cross-shopping the ND Miata, 370z and BRZ as well.

Having had an NB and NC Miata previously, I fully expected the ND to win me over... but that was not the case. The ND engine completely ran out of steam after 5k RPM or so, which I didn’t enjoy. This complaint was fixed with the 2019/ND2 Miata with the higher-revving engine. The ND also had an overly soft and floppy suspension with steering that is put to shame by the BRZ. The ND also has very little passenger and storage space... there aren’t even bottle holders in the doors or a glove box and the trunk is tiny... so it is definitely a car that you need to think hard about the compromise in space before buying.

The only particularly memorable thing about the 370z was the engine, and it is a gem of an engine that loves to rev and make great sounds. The interior is the same antiquated interior that my previous 2003 350z had. The transmission is like stirring a screwdriver in a bowl of rocks. The hatchback allows for a surprising amount of cargo space for a 2 seater. The price goes up a bit to get the factory LSD... and the 370z definitely needs one. This is also the thirstiest car of the bunch if that matters.

The BRZ (particularly with the performance pack or tS) is much more planted in the corners than the Miata and as previously mentioned has much better and more precise steering. It has a small back seat that folds down and offers versatility that the other cars mentioned can’t match. The BRZ engine is fun to rev out and you’ll want to keep the revs up during spirited driving to stay out of the torque free zone in the mid range.

The Miata and 370z both offer drop-tops... so if that is something you’ll enjoy, that may be a pretty big deciding factor.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Happy hunting! Let us know what you decide. I love my BRZ, just felt “right” the first time I sat in one. Unfortunately I haven’t gotten to drive an ND yet. I can see myself getting a ‘19+ RF one day though.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:44 AM   #8
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well, out of those 3 I'll say it's a toss up with the Miata and the Z.

Just to throw another car, ever looked into the Camaro 1LE track pack?
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #9
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I recently rented a '16 ND Miata on Turo and was very impressed.

Compared to my slightly modified '17 Series.Yellow, I found the shifter in the MX-5 to be crisper and really enjoyed the driving position + cabin ergonomics (except when trying to reach the rear cupholders).

Imho the BRZ has better steering feel, feels more like a precision instrument, and my brakes (Brembos) are better than this particular Grand Touring spec (I'm sure the Club's Brembos also stop well).

Even though there is body roll with the ND, it still inspired confidence and I could play mid-corner. The engine felt torquey compared to the BRZ (even with my '17 aggressive gearing). This particular car has a Flyin' Miata active exhaust, which you can control the volume of the exhaust using the wiper stalk. On the highway, the exhaust might fatigue you from the drone.

Putting the top down transforms the driving experience into pure fun at any speed.

I would get the RF since you already have a Mustang GT w/ 400+ hp. No need for a 'Japanese Muscle Car', which how I feel about the 370Z and 3.8 Gen Coupe.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (01-02-2019), AnalogMan (01-12-2019), humfrz (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
I recently rented a '16 ND Miata on Turo and was very impressed.

Compared to my slightly modified '17 Series.Yellow, I found the shifter in the MX-5 to be crisper and really enjoyed the driving position + cabin ergonomics (except when trying to reach the rear cupholders).

Imho the BRZ has better steering feel, feels more like a precision instrument, and my brakes (Brembos) are better than this particular Grand Touring spec (I'm sure the Club's Brembos also stop well).

Even though there is body roll with the ND, it still inspired confidence and I could play mid-corner. The engine felt torquey compared to the BRZ (even with my '17 aggressive gearing). This particular car has a Flyin' Miata active exhaust, which you can control the volume of the exhaust using the wiper stalk. On the highway, the exhaust might fatigue you from the drone.

Putting the top down transforms the driving experience into pure fun at any speed.

I would get the RF since you already have a Mustang GT w/ 400+ hp. No need for a 'Japanese Muscle Car', which how I feel about the 370Z and 3.8 Gen Coupe.
Agreed, the 370z seems a bit redundant since you own a gt already. I haven't driven a 370z but I have driven a 350z and they're heavy/bloated feeling cars.

Having owned both a twin and a supercharged NA miata, the twin is far more livable day to day. 99% of things I carry easily fit in the twin (cargo capacity is pretty high with the seats down). I've even dragged around 2 of my pups with the seats down. Would never be able to do that in a miata.
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), humfrz (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thank you, very much, everyone for your thoughts, I greatly appreciate them! Your observations and experiences are exactly what I was looking for, and are very helpful (I would 'thank' everyone but it seems I have to post 9 more dumb questions before I can do that).

humfrz, I used to live in your neck of the woods, Portland OR. Just moved from there to the east coast. I'm kind of in a similar boat with Mrs. AnalogMan - she's not a fan of convertibles. Never was. I had 1990 and 1999 Miatas (Miatae?) back when, and she hated it when I would put the top down. If I got another Miata, I suspect the top would only come down when I was driving alone.

Mr.ac, I test drove the Camaro when I was shopping for the Mustang, and have rented them a few times. I find the visibility to be non-existent. It's like peering out of a tank slit. The Mustang GT fills my adolescent need for a 'V8'.

dhuang and alphasaur, I had the same thoughts that the 370Z is more of a 'Japanese muscle car', kind of equivalent to my Mustang GT. It would be redundant now, but that was also my thought - I can't see owning the Mustang long-term (though it's been 4 years already). It's a fun car in a primitive sort of way, but after having owned a long line of Japanese cars, the build quality and reliability just aren't there. I can foresee getting rid of it in the not too distant future as more things break on it.

Though I've owned 105 cars in my life, this is one of the harder choices I've made (which could be solved with more money and a bigger garage...). To me, the 370Z and BRZ are almost polar opposites. The 370Z has a (to me) fantastic engine. The 3.7 liter VQ is a gem, old school naturally aspirated, the last of its kind in a world increasingly moving to '2 liter turbo' sameness - but the car has a number of design limitations (poor visibility, limited cargo space). The BRZ is a terrific car, engaging, that rare feeling of 'rightness', kind of like a modern Triumph GT6 or Datsun 240Z, but with an unremarkable engine.

Like a million other people have said, if only the BRZ had 50 more hp, it would be a no-brainer (I would probably get the OFT tune to flatten out the torque dip, but I'm too old to start messing with turbocharging). The analysis paralysis continues...
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was in the *exact* same boat, comparing the same 3 cars. To preface, I also own a Focus RS and when I really put my thoughts on paper, I wanted something that was yin to its yang.

With that said, the 370Z dropped out first. It's about the same weight as my RS with a big, powerful engine (although not quite as fast as my RS). Not different enough, not light enough.

The ND Miata is a gem. I drove a 2016 ST, 2017 ST, 2017 RF, and 2019 RF. I really, really wanted a '19 RF Club w/ Brembo/BBS package and Recaro seats, as the standard seats leave much to be desired and the wheels/brakes not only look great but provide some real added benefits. However, that's a $35k+ car and I couldn't justify that.

So, enter the BRZ. I was originally not overly excited about this car. But, I decided that I'd like to look into a 17+ with Performance Package due to the updates, Brembo brakes and Sachs dampers. And boy oh boy, was it like a lightbulb going on....excellent seats without having to spend a bunch more (better than the ND Recaros that I tested), excellent seating position, crisp shifter, *great* steering feel, perfect pedal spacing, and actual, usable space. The latter item is not one I was overly concerned with, but the ND literally has an unbearably low amount of storage space. The BRZ's trunk is respectable for the car's size and with the back seats (tiny) folded down, the space is great. The car is light, likes to rev (7500 RPM redline just like the 19 ND) and really encourages you to drive it hard. The Brembo brakes that come with the PP are larger (same size as the WRX STi) and feel stronger than the ND's, as well.

And thus, I found the nicest used '17 w/PP I could find in the nation - 1900 miles and I got it for $23,500. It had the factory STi short shifter installed (highly recommended) and showed up w/ a brand new set of A/S3+ tires (the same ones I was going to buy for it) and the STi muffler. Otherwise, bone stock and clean as can be. You simply cannot beat that value for a lightweight, RWD, NA driver's car. I'm still thrilled with it and look forward to driving it as much as possible.

Tip - if you go drive one, let it warm up first and don't drive it softly. However, don't expect much until ~4k RPM. Flooring it down low won't impress you so don't even bother. Instead, roll into the throttle progressively. It's a very enjoyable car when understood and utilized correctly.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imped4now For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), FRS_FIEND (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you, very much, everyone for your thoughts, I greatly appreciate them! Your observations and experiences are exactly what I was looking for, and are very helpful (I would 'thank' everyone but it seems I have to post 9 more dumb questions before I can do that).

humfrz, I used to live in your neck of the woods, Portland OR. Just moved from there to the east coast. I'm kind of in a similar boat with Mrs. AnalogMan - she's not a fan of convertibles. Never was. I had 1990 and 1999 Miatas (Miatae?) back when, and she hated it when I would put the top down. If I got another Miata, I suspect the top would only come down when I was driving alone.

Mr.ac, I test drove the Camaro when I was shopping for the Mustang, and have rented them a few times. I find the visibility to be non-existent. It's like peering out of a tank slit. The Mustang GT fills my adolescent need for a 'V8'.

dhuang and alphasaur, I had the same thoughts that the 370Z is more of a 'Japanese muscle car', kind of equivalent to my Mustang GT. It would be redundant now, but that was also my thought - I can't see owning the Mustang long-term (though it's been 4 years already). It's a fun car in a primitive sort of way, but after having owned a long line of Japanese cars, the build quality and reliability just aren't there. I can foresee getting rid of it in the not too distant future as more things break on it.

Though I've owned 105 cars in my life, this is one of the harder choices I've made (which could be solved with more money and a bigger garage...). To me, the 370Z and BRZ are almost polar opposites. The 370Z has a (to me) fantastic engine. The 3.7 liter VQ is a gem, old school naturally aspirated, the last of its kind in a world increasingly moving to '2 liter turbo' sameness - but the car has a number of design limitations (poor visibility, limited cargo space). The BRZ is a terrific car, engaging, that rare feeling of 'rightness', kind of like a modern Triumph GT6 or Datsun 240Z, but with an unremarkable engine.

Like a million other people have said, if only the BRZ had 50 more hp, it would be a no-brainer (I would probably get the OFT tune to flatten out the torque dip, but I'm too old to start messing with turbocharging). The analysis paralysis continues...

From reading your first post and reading you last post. You sir want the BRZ! If straight line power is starting to bore you and I know the must numb steering isn't any fun 370z are awesome cars however heavy not as nimble higher maintenance cost higher aftermarket costs. Now onto the Miata you're 6' 200 I'm 5"11 190 I'm telling you right now no! Lol those things are way too impractical size wise and like you said CONVERTIBLE lol. I know shit was looking at the 370Z MUSTANG GT FRS and s2k (practically the same impracticality as the Miata) I'll you this the BRZ Will be your best choice out of these. If you plan on cruising in the mountains or speeding downhill this car is for you it's so driver oriented it's not even fun. I've driven a Ferrari 458 Italia and the FRS seating position feels better than it. I have yet to find a car that makes you feel like the FRS makes you feel. It's no straight liner by any means but this car fits a driver enthusiast like a glove. I made my choice August 18 2013 and I don't regret one bit I'm keeping this car for Life in fact I pay it off in just a few months. There has been times where I was like I should've for the 370z for the power and sound, then I go to a canyon road abd could careless. This platform is just more practical than all the rest it's definitely the most analog what color do you plan on going with for the BRZ btw it has so my luxury trim options too

P.s don't get me wrong I will most likely own a nismo 370 or a gtr in the future beautiful driver's cars as well. You want more power definitely go z they can still handle turns they're just not as nimble feeling and you can't go 10 10ths down a canyon lol

Instagram: @angelb_af

Last edited by FRS_FIEND; 01-02-2019 at 10:31 AM.
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Ah, you getting rid of the mustang gt changes things.

That might sway me to pick the 370z. I'd guess it's a bit sharper/better handling than the mustang gt and retains the majority of the power.