follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List
Shiv@Openflash

Old 02-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
MagicianRed

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
IDS_COMM_ERROR when trying to upload tunes?

So I've set up Openflash Manager, I've got my stock ECU read done on the OFT, OFM loads up fine, and otherwise seems to work normally. However, when I try to upload a tune file, it will correct the checksum, then go through the loading process, and right at the end, it will stop and give me an error, IDS_COMM_ERROR. I've emailed Openflash for some assistance, but was hoping maybe someone else had a similar experience? I've thought of reflashing the stock ECU to unmarry the OFT and try again, however both READ and WRITE show as greyed out for me, so I really am unsure of what to do at this point.

Thank you, any help would be appreciated!
MagicianRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
HECTORLAVOZ

Drives: Frs
Exclamation SAME ISSUE NO RESOLUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianRed View Post
So I've set up Openflash Manager, I've got my stock ECU read done on the OFT, OFM loads up fine, and otherwise seems to work normally. However, when I try to upload a tune file, it will correct the checksum, then go through the loading process, and right at the end, it will stop and give me an error, IDS_COMM_ERROR. I've emailed Openflash for some assistance, but was hoping maybe someone else had a similar experience? I've thought of reflashing the stock ECU to unmarry the OFT and try again, however both READ and WRITE show as greyed out for me, so I really am unsure of what to do at this point.

Thank you, any help would be appreciated!
IVE GOT THE SAME ISSUE AND I GET A (TUNING MISMATCH FILE) WHEN I PLUG IT TO THE CAR. OPENFLASH TOLD ME TO RUN A DEBUG FILE AND SEND IT TO THEM,WHICH DOESNT LET ME EVEN DO THAT. I GET A(IDS_COMM_ERROR). UNBELIVABLE. I HAVE PERIN INTAKE OPEN HEADER NO CATS. SOUNDS CRAZY. I NEED THIS TUNE TO MAKE EVERYTHING RIGHT.

HECTORLAVOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 AM   #3
MagicianRed

Well, I have an update, of sorts. After over a month with no resolution, and really very little info on what the hell an IDS_COMM_ERROR even is, I was advised to return the OFT for a new one.

New one arrived today. SAME. EXACT. ERROR. I've e-mailed OpenFlash, but at this point I'm about ready to just give up. I've followed every step as far as I can tell, and anywhere I've seen other people with IDS_COMM_ERRORs, there's no resolution. Anyone out there heard otherwise, or have any ideas? I've tried reinstalling OFM, no luck. I've tried from different computers, no luck. I'm not able to re-flash to reset the OFT either, "write" is grayed out.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:03 AM   #4
DriftHappens

Drives: '14 FRS White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had this issue. Step 1) uninstall openflash manager and make sure to delete the folder (I don't recall if it deleted it for me or not)
Step 2) turn off antivirus ALL the way. Absolutely no antivirus running, reinstall openflash manager.

Step 3) check if it works, if not, on the openflash site there is a segment talking about the issue with a download. I think it was another version of VCredist (apologize if it's not, it's been a couple months, if you can't find that section/download let me know and I'll track it down again

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
DriftHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #5
MagicianRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftHappens View Post
I had this issue. Step 1) uninstall openflash manager and make sure to delete the folder (I don't recall if it deleted it for me or not)
Step 2) turn off antivirus ALL the way. Absolutely no antivirus running, reinstall openflash manager.

Step 3) check if it works, if not, on the openflash site there is a segment talking about the issue with a download. I think it was another version of VCredist (apologize if it's not, it's been a couple months, if you can't find that section/download let me know and I'll track it down again

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Tried pretty well all of this, no luck. BUT! Anthony at OpenFlash was able to perform some technical wizardry and fix the problem via remote access. So if you're getting this issue, just e-mail OpenFlash, and be patient, seems like a fix is in the works.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
They are working on a fix apparently:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cardinale
I am testing our current solution for users that are experiencing IDS_COMM_ERROR while connected to Openflash Manager. Please reach out to me via email if you have ~30 minutes to allow me a remote login to your PC and interact with your OFT. ~Anthony -- sales@openflashperformance.com

If you're experiencing "Tune file mismatch" after selecting the TUNING menu, please reach out to me also. These problems are not the same - and I need to fix 1 before I can tackle the next.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may pose to some users.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:38 AM   #7
86zn6

Drives: White GTS then Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I fixed mine by
1. disconnect the cable
2. disable all anti-virus software
3. connect oft USB directly to the motherboard USB port
86zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86zn6 For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86zn6 View Post
I fixed mine by
1. disconnect the cable
2. disable all anti-virus software
3. connect oft USB directly to the motherboard USB port
If anyone still dealing with this issue in this year, I just basically did step 1-3 except with just the regular USB port. The key thing is step 2 and it must have blocked part of the update for OFM
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I had nothing but trouble using USB 3, try a USB 2 port.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote