follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
And hey, sometimes the long cut, is a less stressful ride. I’d take 5 minutes of extra time on the road to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic any day.
Until your normally stress free drive comes to a grinding halt due to an accident up ahead or some other delay that you could have avoided by using a navigation device.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #16
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This works both ways. There are people (like I) where the GPS is the far better option since traffic on the routes can vary significantly from day to day. To say that just knowing a route there does not work as well for me. This is also why many Uber drivers use a GPS even if they may know the roads perfectly well. The presumption that everybody uses them because they don't know where they are going or can't be bothered to memorize directions is a bit pretentious. People that like to use their own "shortcuts" always feel they have figured out some trick when in reality if it is such a good shortcut then everybody would use it and it would no longer be shorter.
Tell that to the 75% of Uber drivers who followed their GPS to the tee and went to 10th St, even though my address was very clearly 11th St. . Again, I’ll caveat that the Uber drivers in DC are a whole different beast than Uber drivers I’ve experienced almost anywhere else in the country.

There is blindly using a GPS, and then using a GPS with some common sense attached - I am of the latter population.

Again my only qualms with using GPS is when people solely rely on it for getting, quite literally everywhere, because they wouldn’t know how to get there without it. That’s not pretentious, that’s irresponsible, and quite frankly unsafe. Being able to land navigate is a pretty critical skill.

And clearly no one figures out the shortcuts because everyone keeps following their GPS .
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Tell that to the 75% of Uber drivers who followed their GPS to the tee and went to 10th St, even though my address was very clearly 11th St. . Again, I’ll caveat that the Uber drivers in DC are a whole different beast than Uber drivers I’ve experienced almost anywhere else in the country.

There is blindly using a GPS, and then using a GPS with some common sense attached - I am of the latter population.

Again my only qualms with using GPS is when people solely rely on it for getting, quite literally everywhere, because they wouldn’t know how to get there without it. That’s not pretentious, that’s irresponsible, and quite frankly unsafe. Being able to land navigate is a pretty critical skill.

And clearly no one figures out the shortcuts because everyone keeps following their GPS .
Being able to kill, skin and preserve a buffalo were once also pretty critical skills that are not used all that much anymore. Just saying that being able to read a map (where all this started) is no longer a thing that anybody needs to know. Should the electronic age's infrastructure fail to the point where it is no longer functioning then knowing where to turn to get to grandma's house will be the least of their issues.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #18
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just upgrade your phone as others have mentioned already. I have a hotspot on my work phone and use it for whatever devices I want to use that I don't want to risk with a public hotspot. If you pick the right service you'll also get great coverage on the road... I've had Verizon since day 1 and have never had major issues. For about 3 years they were also the only decent cell phone carrier up in Mammoth Lakes, so all my friends with ATT had to make due without service while on the slopes.

Quote:

The problem with Uber is that when you enter an address for pickup or dropoff, it uses an older version of Google Maps that is not as efficient. If you use a third party navigation app (Waze/Google Maps/Apple Maps) it pushes the address to latitude and longitude coordinates, and the app then navigates to that exact point on the map. If your location or property is closer to the street behind you (instead of where your address should be facing), often times it navigates the driver to the wrong location.

As someone who's driven Uber part-time for almost 5 years, this is something that I constantly have to explain to people. Part of the issue also is that the app allows you to drop a pin anywhere for pickup, so the only way to get an address for that sometimes is to convert to coordinates... not every driver realizes this.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #19
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Just upgrade your phone as others have mentioned already. I have a hotspot on my work phone and use it for whatever devices I want to use that I don't want to risk with a public hotspot. If you pick the right service you'll also get great coverage on the road... I've had Verizon since day 1 and have never had major issues. For about 3 years they were also the only decent cell phone carrier up in Mammoth Lakes, so all my friends with ATT had to make due without service while on the slopes.

The problem with Uber is that when you enter an address for pickup or dropoff, it uses an older version of Google Maps that is not as efficient. If you use a third party navigation app (Waze/Google Maps/Apple Maps) it pushes the address to latitude and longitude coordinates, and the app then navigates to that exact point on the map. If your location or property is closer to the street behind you (instead of where your address should be facing), often times it navigates the driver to the wrong location.

As someone who's driven Uber part-time for almost 5 years, this is something that I constantly have to explain to people. Part of the issue also is that the app allows you to drop a pin anywhere for pickup, so the only way to get an address for that sometimes is to convert to coordinates... not every driver realizes this.

-alex
Interesting! That’s really helpful to know - Thanks for sharing!
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #20
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Technology!!!

Now I know why some people buy this car / or don't buy this car!!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #21
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The few times I forced it to use my "shorter" route it always ended up being a couple of minutes slower. It dashed my preconceived notions of decades to little bits.
Same here. I grew up with those long cuts and had several of my own that I didn't even realize were taking me out of my way until the GPS maps showed me routes I hadn't even considered before.

Quote:
People that like to use their own "shortcuts" always feel they have figured out some trick when in reality if it is such a good shortcut then everybody would use it and it would no longer be shorter.
That's a fine example of microeconomics at work. Seems like that exact subject was discussed on one of the economics blogs.

Quote:
And hey, sometimes the long cut, is a less stressful ride. I’d take 5 minutes of extra time on the road to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic any day.
This I can agree with. I often take back roads to avoid more stressful roads and highways. But when I do, I can see right there on the map that it's going to take me an extra 20 minutes, and I make the decision fully informed.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2019)
Old 03-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #22
MarylinPurtill

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In the beginning, I was using my smartphone as a hotspot, but it was using too much battery of my phone, and sometimes, it doesn't work while travelling off-road or out of station etc. Then I purchased TP-link. Though speed is good and it has near about 8 hours of battery life, but I am thinking to change it. Actually, I found this ( https://trueform.io/collections/feat...e-wifi-hotspot ) Sapphire Touch portable Wi-Fi hotspot because it works internationally. Near about in 130 plus countries and yes, its battery life is also about 15 hours. Hopefully, it would be the right purchase.

On the other hand, if you drive with more people like with family or business friends, then you can also consider Netgear. Though the price is a little high but it can connect near about 20 people with a single device.
MarylinPurtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarylinPurtill For This Useful Post:
Busybee (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #23
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank To T-Mobil! Got a free hotspot (https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial) and got a 2GB/$10 Plan. Now I have hotspot and my dash cam is connected during parking. Receiving alerts and can check remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote